Any clubs closed ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I must admit the flag stick is one thing that went through my mind yesterday. Maybe it would be better if all flagsticks were taken in.
How would we know where the hole is? Your point is very valid but so is knowing where to hit the ball.

We have had a fairly generic guidance email today that advises leaving the flag in at all times, amongst other things. There are lots of surface we touch all of the time, you can not eliminate risk from everything. Last night I filled up the car. I put more than £30 in so no contactless. I'm touching the buttons on the keypad after who know how many others? I walked the dog in the park on Sunday, at night, few people there. I had to cross a road at one point and press the button to stop the lights. We are touching things all of the time, flag sticks are just another one on the list. Leave them in, just pull your ball out.

User20204

Visit site
Just back from the course, Tuesday is seniors day, no shortage of playing playing and absolutely zero social isolation within the club.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
How would we know where the hole is? Your point is very valid but so is knowing where to hit the ball.

We have had a fairly generic guidance email today that advises leaving the flag in at all times, amongst other things. There are lots of surface we touch all of the time, you can not eliminate risk from everything. Last night I filled up the car. I put more than £30 in so no contactless. I'm touching the buttons on the keypad after who know how many others? I walked the dog in the park on Sunday, at night, few people there. I had to cross a road at one point and press the button to stop the lights. We are touching things all of the time, flag sticks are just another one on the list. Leave them in, just pull your ball out.

Interesting thing is that Stapleford Park had once comp a year with no flags. The less talented golfers used to do really well in it as it encourages you to aim for the middle of the green safely rather than go at difficult pin positions.

Hogieefc

Club Champion
Visit site
Our course is open but all flagsticks and rakes have been taken in, holes are all in the centre of the green, played today and we bumped elbows at the end :rolleyes:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Finally heard from my club. Everything as normal at the moment, high levels of cleaning, extra hand sanitisers, tables set 2m apart. Advised may have to close clubhouse at some stage and issued standard advice about rakes, flags etc. Think the score computer is shut off now as well so back to checking cards.

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
WP was open for the usual Seniors winter roll up and there were plenty of people playing. I didn't go up to the bar afterwards as I had a number of other things to do. They are doing a lot more cleaning and doors are all left open so no key pads pressed with codes.
Enville was open yesterday and is doing similar things. Both have had matches cancelled this week but no notice about future events apart from the B team v West Mids League team being cancelled this weekend

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
WP was open for the usual Seniors winter roll up and there were plenty of people playing. I didn't go up to the bar afterwards as I had a number of other things to do. They are doing a lot more cleaning and doors are all left open so no key pads pressed with codes.
Enville was open yesterday and is doing similar things. Both have had matches cancelled this week but no notice about future events apart from the B team v West Mids League team being cancelled this weekend

Just had an email about a comp cancelled on April 19th

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Ours is open but no flagsticks or rakes, holes in centre of greens and clubhouse open but no bar or catering.

D

Deleted member 16999

Genuine question, is there any details of how long this virus can “live” on rakes/pins etc?

Surely it can’t be that long or shops would be in a right state, ie, I take the flag out the hole and I may be risking those behind me, but if I go to Tesco pick up a tin of soup, change my mind and put it down again I’m risking nobody or at least nobody is concerned.

Am I missing something?

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Ours remains open, but today all competitions, social events and all visitors bookings have been cancelled until May. Rakes removed and flag to stay in.
Clubhouse open but social distancing recommended. Suspect its only time before all clubhouses close.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
May be extreme but I would like to see our club apply the tee booking system they use in comps, have significant gaps between tee times to ensure no queues or course congestion and close the putting green as larger groups gather there. Have it so people can turn up, play and just have their playing partners to be concerned about

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Not yet I'm expecting it tho, we have installed new soap dispensers, hand dryers ect in all the shower/toilet areas some signs up too as of last week

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Genuine question, is there any details of how long this virus can “live” on rakes/pins etc?

Surely it can’t be that long or shops would be in a right state, ie, I take the flag out the hole and I may be risking those behind me, but if I go to Tesco pick up a tin of soup, change my mind and put it down again I’m risking nobody or at least nobody is concerned.

Am I missing something?

According to the BBC news tonight the virus can live for up to 72 hours on some surfaces the recommendation is to wash every thing you can in soap when you get home.

ferenezejohn

Visit site
The big issue is, if every player made sure their hands were thoroughly washed in hot soapy water before going onto the course it would all but eliminate the chance of contaminating flag poles and such, also wise to wash grips the same, good golfers do that anyway ?
And of course anyone coughing and sneezing should be nowhere near the course or anywhere else for that matter.
It's also mind boggling to me why all shops and other public places don't have hand sanitizing stations at entry's I know some have but it should be mandatory.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
North Lanarkshire Council have closed ALL of their leisure facilities starting tomorrow i.e. all gyms, swimming pools etc. and that includes 2 municipal golf courses and a driving range.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
My niece went home today with a big pile of homework, they might be getting closed soon and her mum who's a teacher says there just waiting on word but is expecting a closure by Monday, I dismissed this as one of the many scare tactics were hear about all the time

Diamond

Visit site
My friend lives in Italy and no one can leave the house. One member of the household is nominated to go shopping but only with a police certificate. They then have to wear gloves and mask and it is one in one out of the supermarket. Last night the military drove down the street asking people to shut windows as they were disinfecting they streets. His boss has had to quit working even from home as his dad is severely ill due to the virus.
his very words is that it has spread like wild fire and we are only a few weeks behind them.
There hospitals are broken the amount of resource to treat one person is more than people expected.
Do not underestimate this.