Any clubs closed ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I've heard there is about to be emergency legislation coming in to effect on Thursday that will essentially lock-down the country (hence why it hasn't already) and then we will have no golf to play, anyone heard similar ?
I heard last week that head teachers may have been told that schools will close on Friday. No idea if it is country-wide but given the source I don't believe it to be fake news.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m sitting with an £1800 invoice to be paid in next two weeks. I don’t wish to not pay and potentially be part of a significant financial problem for my club - but £1800 will pay my sons rent for 3 months now that he has lost all his income ? I am a strong club person and ’love’ my club - but I have a very difficult decision to make.

In the grand scheme of things that looks like the easiest of decisions to make - surely your son is more important that playing golf? No offence intended.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I heard last week that head teachers may have been told that schools will close on Friday. No idea if it is country-wide but given the source I don't believe it to be fake news.

The latest from the head teacher at the school HID works at is the government are trying to keep them open as long as possible to enable the exam mocks to go ahead as unhindered as possible and then close at Easter and stay shut after that.

Diamond

Visit site
The latest from the head teacher at the school HID works at is the government are trying to keep them open as long as possible to enable the exam mocks to go ahead as unhindered as possible and then close at Easter and stay shut after that.
That sounds sensible or even close the schools and only have Year 11 in the schools completing their mock exams.

Doodle

Visit site
This is a disastrous situation for all businesses, I haven't heard anything from my club yet, but they are usually on the ball, so I think I will hear something soon.
Our fees run Jan - Jan, so we have already paid.

Wife has gone to play this morning, Ladies comp is off, as the comp sec doesn't want to handle money & cards.

I suspect a total shutdown of the clubhouse isn't far away.
Probably all societies will be cancelled, as well as club comps & matches.
I am unsure how we will fare for bounce games & the course in general?

This unfortunately will be the end of some clubs, I fear if they are forced to close, they will never reopen
Sad times.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

I have also heard from a couple in the profession that there will be a closure from Friday which will, with the Easter break included, allow for a closure for a month.

As for our course, heard nothing over the last few days. No real advice or reassurance on the clubhouse, nothing on the website. Hoping that changes soon.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I've heard there is about to be emergency legislation coming in to effect on Thursday that will essentially lock-down the country (hence why it hasn't already) and then we will have no golf to play, anyone heard similar ?

I looked at the headline on Sky news online which mentions mitigation and suppression. If we go to the latter then we shouldn't travel etc.
Not good reading

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
In the grand scheme of things that looks like the easiest of decisions to make - surely your son is more important that playing golf? No offence intended.
Yes - I know...:(

I don't know about you but my membership and the club are very important to me. Not being a member would be a massive hole in my life and if we could still go out, at least I could play in the evenings and Mrs Hogie could accompany me - getting us out of the house and sharing quality outdoor time together.

In the short term I can afford both. But how long this might go on and what the government might require of us all in respect of a lockdown...would have me throwing away money that I might well need in the medium or longer term - especially to keep my lad's head above water over the longer term.

Unfortunately I know the right answer to my own question...:(

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Email from club this morning. Course will remain open, rakes are being taken in; always putt flag in; gimmes whenever it does not matter; clubhouse open but clubhouse kitchen and bar closed; halfway hut closed; showers open but under review; on course maintain two metres separation.

well at least we can still play if we wish to ?

I must admit the flag stick is one thing that went through my mind yesterday. Maybe it would be better if all flagsticks were taken in.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I must admit the flag stick is one thing that went through my mind yesterday. Maybe it would be better if all flagsticks were taken in.
well - as long as we are able to play I only need to have one of the ball 'grasper' things on the end of my putter or on a stick in my bag so I don;t need to take the flag out of the hole to get my ball out.

Diamond

Visit site
Its probably safer playing a round of golf on your own and thoroughly washing your hands before and after the round than going out to do some food shopping in a supermarket.

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
All comps and functions now cancelled at my place until further notice.

course open for casual play but advised flag stick not to be removed and to stay at least 2 meters away from each other.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Directors meeting this morning. For now the course is open but the bar/kitchen closed and people being asked to minimise clubhouse use. Think the answer is inevitable and they'll certainly close the clubhouse entirely. Whether there is a H&S implication about allowing people to play (over and above the Corona issues) when everything is shut I don't know

Arronl13

Visit site
Our course cancelled all competitions until the end of April, yesterday by email. Today they closed all facilities. Working from home too, cabin fever setting in.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

my wife works in a school. believe me, none of them know what's going to happen. Govt policy is changing on a daily basis, there is no way a decision would have been taken last week. If it had, and head teachers had been briefed, it would certainly have leaked to the media.