Any clubs closed ?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Michael Gove telling BBC that golf is not an acceptable form of exercise in the current climate in an interview this morning.
But presumably going for a walk on a golf course is perfectly fine as long as all other criteria are met?
I'm not advocating all golf clubs open as normal, but the contradictions in advice are obvious and surely legally unenforceable. Are we to only do things that our cabinet minister likes, while being forbidden from doing things that he thinks are a bit rubbish?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
But presumably going for a walk on a golf course is perfectly fine as long as all other criteria are met?
I'm not advocating all golf clubs open as normal, but the contradictions in advice are obvious and surely legally unenforceable. Are we to only do things that our cabinet minister likes, while being forbidden from doing things that he thinks are a bit rubbish?

Dave - emergency legislation will be passed this week that will give power to issue fines for people not complying with the requirements.

Going for a game of golf, even on your own, is not critical or the only form of exercise you can do.

I'd imagine courses will continue to be maintained, at least to a reasonable standard. Allow green staff to work and take their time to do what is required (while managing their own responsibilities at home) and maintaining distance and accounting for hygiene requirements, which will all take extra time... so they don't need 50 solo golfers hitting round the course each day.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
We had an email from Captain about closure stating they are awaiting clarification about ongoing maintenance.
They did introduce staggered shifts for the greenkeeprs a couple of weeks ago but apparently a *number* are now having symptoms so expect to have only half strength team at best for next few weeks.
I wonder if there are any sheep we can borrow to graze the course?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
We had an email from Captain about closure stating they are awaiting clarification about ongoing maintenance.
They did introduce staggered shifts for the greenkeeprs a couple of weeks ago but apparently a *number* are now having symptoms so expect to have only half strength team at best for next few weeks.
I wonder if there are any sheep we can borrow to graze the course?

Symptoms more than likely from idiot golfers who thought they knew best and kept golfing. Hopefully the greens staff fully recover.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Assuming greens teams are able to get to work I would imagine there is a fair amount they can do that would usually take a lot longer.

For example, course set up probably takes a good few hours each morning and they have to do all the holes early to account for the dawn brigade.

They now don't have to;
rake the bunkers
cut the greens every day
cut pins
move tees
Do all of these things before 0730

So would think it would be a lot less time for a smaller team to keep the course maintained for a few hours during the day.

There is probably also a lot of other things they can do in terms of seeding problem areas (that might otherwise have needed turf) as well as maybe drainage, tree trimming etc. that they would never want to do at this time of year due to the number of golfers.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Dave - emergency legislation will be passed this week that will give power to issue fines for people not complying with the requirements.

Going for a game of golf, even on your own, is not critical or the only form of exercise you can do.

I'd imagine courses will continue to be maintained, at least to a reasonable standard. Allow green staff to work and take their time to do what is required (while managing their own responsibilities at home) and maintaining distance and accounting for hygiene requirements, which will all take extra time... so they don't need 50 solo golfers hitting round the course each day.
My point was not so much about my ability to play golf as it was about far reaching legislation allowing the whims of people like Gove to have some sort of omnipotent power over us. Golf is the thin end of the wedge when deciding what is or is not allowed, and I have expectations that some "key" (read Party supporters) activities will be protected. Remember the Cheltenham festival nonsense...
And (not that you were) I hope that those raising legitimate questions about policy and direction are not shouted out of public debate. Group think at times like this is a really, really bad thing.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
For a about a week our greenkeepers have been working on tasks that keep them apart. We were flooded earlier in the year and now only one man at a time is working on reinstating a bunker, rather than two or three. They don't take lunch/tea breaks together. Jobs are allocated by phone or talking across the yard. Communication from/to the general manager and/or green chair is by phone or text.

Greenkeeping staff
England Golf guidance

In order to provide clarification for golf clubs following on from the Prime Minister’s statement of 23 March, we are able to inform you of the following:
  • For security and essential maintenance purposes, greenkeeping staff can still attend work.

Last edited:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
No email rom my club yet, website says 'Course Closed - Management Seeking Further Advice'. I am truly hoping that they are not trying to find a way to keep the course open.

Just seen form England Golf that greenkeeping staff can keep working for security and essential maintenance.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
My point was not so much about my ability to play golf as it was about far reaching legislation allowing the whims of people like Gove to have some sort of omnipotent power over us. Golf is the thin end of the wedge when deciding what is or is not allowed, and I have expectations that some "key" (read Party supporters) activities will be protected. Remember the Cheltenham festival nonsense...
And (not that you were) I hope that those raising legitimate questions about policy and direction are not shouted out of public debate. Group think at times like this is a really, really bad thing.

I'm all for critical analysis - but this is a dynamic event moving at a pace we don't yet know. So I think everyone has a responsibility to keep clearly avoidable leisure pursuits to zero.

The problem is for businesses and that they are making statements open to interpretation.

What is essential?

Is it essential to keep making food? Yes... what about crisps and chocolate?
Is it essential to keep making soft drinks - not really. What about milk? What about tea? Not essential, but are they really not going to supply tea? Obviously not.
So lets just assume all food and beverage produce is essential and production should continue with sensible precautions.
Is it essential to keep making clothes? - not really... what about babies clothes. Ok, then yes.
Is it essential to keep bottling whisky? - not really... what about £3 million worth of product that I've paid duty on that has to be bottled within the next few days?
Is it essential to keep maintaining a golf course? - not really, but ultimately if you don't, it will grow in within 10 to 15 days and greens will become overgrown and almost impossible to recover effectively ending hundreds of clubs, thousands of livelihoods etc.

Is it ok to keep working if you can easily follow all precautions and social distancing, even if it's not essential? - surely yes
Is it ok to pursue leisure activities if you can easily follow all precautions and social distancing? - not at the moment!

And things that are not essential today or tomorrow, become more essential as time goes on. Phone repairs, MOTs, plumbers, dentists, opticians, barbers etc.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm seeing a lot of negativity on nosey book. People stating they're not paying their DD while course is closed, others will be demanding money back etc etc.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm seeing a lot of negativity on nosey book. People stating they're not paying their DD while course is closed, others will be demanding money back etc etc.
Any individual can either care about their golf club or not. An individual choice. An individual's conscience.

sunshine

Visit site
This what they want you to think.

The advice he has followed has been terrible. They are only taking measures now because of the massive wave of pressure from the scientific and medical communities outside of the government advisors.

All of this action is coming far, far too late. We are now well on the same road as Spain and Italy, whereas we could have been on the same road as Korea.

The government will have cost tens of thousands of lives before this is over.

Sad but true

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
We're now closed for the foreseeable much like pretty much everywhere else.

Bit of a bummer but deffo the right thing to do and not much to ask in the current circumstances.

Fingers crossed the latest measures have the desired effect and as few families as possible are impacted by this virus.

D

Deleted member 18588

This what they want you to think.

The advice he has followed has been terrible. They are only taking measures now because of the massive wave of pressure from the scientific and medical communities outside of the government advisors.

All of this action is coming far, far too late. We are now well on the same road as Spain and Italy, whereas we could have been on the same road as Korea.

The government will have cost tens of thousands of lives before this is over.

And your particular field of expertise is what precisely?

Probably as well qualified as most of the scientist signatories of the infamous letter. The vast majority of whom had no experience or qualifications relevant to the issue.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Laughably saw a post earlier on facebook that one course is opening allowing 2 balls using tee booking. do people not listen.