Another Wedge Question !

rockhopper

Medal Winner
Visit site
Apologies first off for a asking what's probably been asked many times previously, looking to pick up a pair of 54 and 58 degree wedges as the course I play on is heathland and has fairly tight lies am I best with low bounce options ?Also I'm thinking of going for vokeys or possibly clevelands as they seem to be available a fair bit cheaper, those loads of different ones available though ( 588, CG15, CG16 etc) which is confusing, which is the best of them are they all about the same.Thanks in advance.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
They reckon low bounce for tight lies and people who sweep rather than take a divot. Both good makes, best if you try them. Because what works for me may not work for you.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Thanks for info Is 10 degrees about right for a 52 or 54 ?

10* is pretty much medium. 8 or below is considered 'low'.

Bounce is a very personal thing and depends on style of play. Sweepers (playing wedges rather like putters) tend to prefer/require low bounce. Diggers (large divot takers) tend to prefer/need higher bounce. And there's a bunch in between too!

Irrespective of the bounce, there's a really wide variety of grinds that can be used - along with a few other attributes of wedges - to either decrease effective bounce, or make wedges more versatile!

And in my experience, links courses - lowest bounce; heathland/parkland courses higher bounce - depending on the length of grass and softness/cushion-ness of ground! Highest bounce is for soft sand or rough (other than semi).

rockhopper

Medal Winner
Visit site
10* is pretty much medium. 8 or below is considered 'low'.

Bounce is a very personal thing and depends on style of play. Sweepers (playing wedges rather like putters) tend to prefer/require low bounce. Diggers (large divot takers) tend to prefer/need higher bounce. And there's a bunch in between too!

Irrespective of the bounce, there's a really wide variety of grinds that can be used - along with a few other attributes of wedges - to either decrease effective bounce, or make wedges more versatile!

And in my experience, links courses - lowest bounce; heathland/parkland courses higher bounce - depending on the length of grass and softness/cushion-ness of ground! Highest bounce is for soft sand or rough (other than semi).

Thanks for the explanation, so many options its a minefield, do the red dot vokeys create more spin than the newer ones, and anyone know where the best deals are ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Thanks for the explanation, so many options its a minefield, do the red dot vokeys create more spin than the newer ones, and anyone know where the best deals are ?

Not quite sure what you mean by red dot,

But the SM2s which have red in the Spin Milled symbol are the 'non-conforming' ones, so may spin more out of (wet) rough than the SM3/4 that have the conforming grooves.

Non-conforming grooves are fine for we hackers until 2024.

rockhopper

Medal Winner
Visit site
Not quite sure what you mean by red dot,

But the SM2s which have red in the Spin Milled symbol are the 'non-conforming' ones, so may spin more out of (wet) rough than the SM3/4 that have the conforming grooves.

Non-conforming grooves are fine for we hackers until 2024.

Those are indeed the ones I meant, now to find the best deals !