Another Short Game Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Like the picture - really got me thinking that I need to record more of my stats - medal tomorrow here I come !

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Maybe 5 of those are 3 or 4 feet, vital putts, got to practice that heavily, should be close to 100% on these in a round.

A little out of date but some interesting stats here and not even tour pro make inside 5 feet 100% of the time

https://golfanalytics.wordpress.com/2014/10/09/predicting-putting-performance-by-distance/

That said I work hard on those 2-3 feet range as I feel if I can make one or two of those a round, it keeps momentum going and if I can make an up and down it might be a net birdie and a shot gained on the field. As a mid handicapper, I accept from outside 5 feet my conversion stats won't be great but if I can improve and hole out from the shorter distances it stand me in good stead.

I use this in my practice https://www.amazon.co.uk/PUTT-PUTTING-TRAINING-AID-REDUCER/dp/B000FFYITO and if you're really desperate I did a review as well

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bill and Ben are on the first tee, Bill slices his drive out of bounds and Ben hits a beauty down the middle.
Bill hits his reload down the middle and hits a lovely 4th shot to 10 feet.
Ben hits his 2nd shot to 20ft and 3 putts for a bogey. Bill holes his 10 footer also for a bogey.
Guess who is in a better mood on the second tee?
Bill hits 3 wood off the 2nd tee

My thought is you can recover from a poor tee shot but you can't from a 3 putt

Bob that story could almost have been about my round yesterday.

11th hole 130 yard par 3

Step up 7 iron .. bamn hooked it and caught ground.. went 81 yards

Lob wedge it to middle of green

15 foot putt .. rolled in for par (my only of the day)

16th hole 150 yard par 3 with flag near back

Into wind.. 4 hybrid nailed it boom middle of green

3 putt ...

Now I could have got bogey on both and still been happy with short game on 11.

Short game is king

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Bill and Ben are on the first tee, Bill slices his drive out of bounds and Ben hits a beauty down the middle.
Bill hits his reload down the middle and hits a lovely 4th shot to 10 feet.
Ben hits his 2nd shot to 20ft and 3 putts for a bogey. Bill holes his 10 footer also for a bogey.
Guess who is in a better mood on the second tee?

Whilst I see where your coming from, surely, on average, Ben won't 3 putt from 20 feet and Bill is likely to miss from 10..?
If this scenario was about Me(Ben) and Fragger(Bill), I'd be in the better mood because I've already hit a good drive. 3 putts happen. I'm not standing on the tee thinking " crap, that first one wasn't good, let's hope this one isn't as bad"
At our level, a 3 putt costs you 1 shot
A bad drive can cost 2 or 3.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
But Bill can change to his 3 wood for the rest of the round, Ben cant change his putter

Have you never played with Smiffy?

Not had the "pleasure" yet🤔

Who's to say the 3 wood won't slice too?
Am I going to 3 putt every green?

From 20 feet, unless you're a really bad putter, you're not going to 3 putt more than 3 or 4 times a round, so you've lost 3 or 4 shots.
Hit 3 drives OB and you've lost more than that and you need Seve-esque recovery skills to make them up.