Another jacket recommendation thread

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
After something that’s waterproof, can swing a club in, has a hood, is warm but thinish, and with a hood.

Want this for golf but also to double up as a normal walking jacket when not playing.

Proquip gets recommended a lot for golf but I’ve never liked the look of proquips. Any recommendations?

Thank you

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wanting a hood will restrict you here. Not sure of any golf specific waterproofs with a hood. A hood up will likely restrict your view so they don't put one on. You may find the odd one but not many.

Do you want to give a price range as well?

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Wanting a hood will restrict you here. Not sure of any golf specific waterproofs with a hood. A hood up will likely restrict your view so they don't put one on. You may find the odd one but not many.

Do you want to give a price range as well?

I suppose it’s not a deal breaker. Just handy for the heavy downpours as I don’t use a brolly.

Price, probably not much over £100. Depends really. If it’s something durable and I’ll get a lot of use out of it then I’m not averse to paying a bit more.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Go to a walking/ hiking shop

I use Sprayway for dual purpose. Hoods are not great for golf and I put mine down when making a shot.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I suppose it’s not a deal breaker. Just handy for the heavy downpours as I don’t use a brolly.

Price, probably not much over £100. Depends really. If it’s something durable and I’ll get a lot of use out of it then I’m not averse to paying a bit more.
I gave up on a brolly a while ago. I go cap, you can go bucket hat if you want a genuinely waterproof option.

Look at the Sunderland range. The Vancouver Pro range are within budget and a few on here have recommended them recently. I've just bought it's replacement, Valberg, and it is very nice indeed. Over budget, thankfully I had a voucher to cover most of it ?.

Also look at Ping options. They go under the radar a bit but it is high quality gear.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I tend to leave the brolley in the bag nore than I use it and prefer a waterproof cap. Only use it if the rain is continuous so I can put a dry towel underneath. Definitely wouldn't be playing in a hood

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Go to a walking/ hiking shop

I use Sprayway for dual purpose. Hoods are not great for golf and I put mine down when making a shot.

Went to a couple today but had the child with me so didn’t get a good try of jackets.

Found one I loved and felt fine to swing in. But it was £220 lol

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I gave up on a brolly a while ago. I go cap, you can go bucket hat if you want a genuinely waterproof option.

Look at the Sunderland range. The Vancouver Pro range are within budget and a few on here have recommended them recently. I've just bought it's replacement, Valberg, and it is very nice indeed. Over budget, thankfully I had a voucher to cover most of it ?.

Also look at Ping options. They go under the radar a bit but it is high quality gear.

Vancouver pro looks not bad. As does valberg. How warm you find it?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Vancouver pro looks not bad. As does valberg. How warm you find it?
Too early to tell, although I may know more after Saturday :D. The jacket is lined so it offers more than a basic windproof top. However its aim is to prevent wind and water, not give heat so it does not have padding or thermal properties. It is meant to be used as part of layering, that is what gives you your warmth. The cuffs are snug around my wrists, the neck zips up nicely under my chin so it does block out the elements very well. That is all you can ask really.

No golf waterproofs offer warmth as such, they are all similar in that sense.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Small tip, if you don't manage to find one you like with a hood, just buy a waterproof bucket hat as well. I did that, it keeps the rain off your head just as well as a hood does, and is less likely to be restrictive in movement and vision since it isn't attached to the neck of your jacket. The hat I bought even has a toggle to tie it under your chin if it's really windy.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Too early to tell, although I may know more after Saturday :D. The jacket is lined so it offers more than a basic windproof top. However its aim is to prevent wind and water, not give heat so it does not have padding or thermal properties. It is meant to be used as part of layering, that is what gives you your warmth. The cuffs are snug around my wrists, the neck zips up nicely under my chin so it does block out the elements very well. That is all you can ask really.

No golf waterproofs offer warmth as such, they are all similar in that sense.
i good tip someone told me was get your body temp up wearing the top before you go out so you are already warm, then most jackets retain the heat, works very well with my GG, i wear it now on the way to the club if its cold our raining and i'm going to be wearing it on the course when i get there.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
i good tip someone told me was get your body temp up wearing the top before you go out so you are already warm, then most jackets retain the heat, works very well with my GG, i wear it now on the way to the club if its cold our raining and i'm going to be wearing it on the course when i get there.
But that flies directly in the face of the old logic, "take your coat off indoors or you won't feel the benefit when you go outside" !