Another club closing

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
i was thinking of joining there.

a few guys from my footie team are members there and while they were looking at leaving, as the fees had gone up, they didn't say anything about it closing.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Where did this arise Dave?

Whilst the group that bought it recently (2 - 3 years ago?) haven't invested heavily it's been pretty vibrant and active around the course and club house in recent times.

The only reason I can think of for it closing would be if they have managed to get planning permission for something (anything) which would be hugely lucrative!

A quick search and it's confirmed all round

DIRECTORS’ STATEMENT

It is with regret that we announce that the shareholders of Broke Hill Golf Club Ltd. have accepted an offer for the purchase of the land that Broke Hill Golf Club currently occupies.

Broke Hill Golf Club will continue and be relocated to the Chelsfield Lakes Golf Centre.

Last edited:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That's a pity I played it for the first time this year and nearly broke 80 for the first time '81' with a 9 on the card, was hoping to get another game there next year, I thought it was just about the easiest course I've played.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Remeber when it was first built, and was looking at founder membership there. That cost a fortune to build, and lay out.
I also seem to remember something about the owners being the same as Chelsfield lakes,

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pretty decent course apart from one stupid hole.

Can't see many wanting to move across the road to CL.

Can see why it would be an attractive site to build on with a station across the road from there.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Surprised that they're closing Broke Hill, even given how close it is to a station (if you're buying a golf course to develop C. lakes is imo far better positioned as Chelsfield is the faster line into the city) I'll be quite interested to see what they make of it.

where else do you think people will move over to?

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
The only other decent courses close by with a similar price bracket are darenth valley, woodlands manor and birchwood

Dave1980

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Surprised that they're closing Broke Hill, even given how close it is to a station (if you're buying a golf course to develop C. lakes is imo far better positioned as Chelsfield is the faster line into the city) I'll be quite interested to see what they make of it.

where else do you think people will move over to?

I think that Broke Hill was the better course but I wonder if Bromley council would not allow them develop CL.

I know my club West Kent are trying to come up with a competitive membership package for the members, but I guess this will be slightly higher then the others mentioned, however it's a private club.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think that Broke Hill was the better course but I wonder if Bromley council would not allow them develop CL.

I know my club West Kent are trying to come up with a competitive membership package for the members, but I guess this will be slightly higher then the others mentioned, however it's a private club.

I'd be surprised if Bromley were keen on them developing broke hill that much either, but we'll see :) I would LOVE to be good enough to give West kent a go, once I beat 80 i'm sure i'll pop down there for a schooling! One of the more appealing local courses.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The only other decent courses close by with a similar price bracket are darenth valley, woodlands manor and birchwood

Iv played all three of them and agree they are decent courses and not to challenging, always feel it's a shame about Birchwood being so busy in the summer and the bunkers are never racked ,as the front 9 has a really good mix of holes I particularly like the holes from 5-9.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
And Pedham one more junction down the 25.

I played Padham Place years ago, can't remember to much about the course , does it have a lot of undulating fairways? I thought it was different to most courses down your way as it had a links feel to the course.

If it was the same course I'm thinking of.

Dave1980

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd be surprised if Bromley were keen on them developing broke hill that much either, but we'll see :) I would LOVE to be good enough to give West kent a go, once I beat 80 i'm sure i'll pop down there for a schooling! One of the more appealing local courses.

Don't wait until you break 80, give it a go over the winter and then it will give you a score to aim for when you go back during the summer months.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Don't wait until you break 80, give it a go over the winter and then it will give you a score to aim for when you go back during the summer months.

Hit 85 today (Redlibbets, really like their course being honest), so i'm almost there! coming up for 2 months playing, think i'll mentally book in to west kent sometime in december. Maybe put a bit of preplanning in to find some other winter goers on here to accompany me around.

D

Deleted member 23344

Just heard that Broke Hill Golf Club near Orpington in Kent is closing at the end of the month.

That’s a pity, because it is one of my club’s reciprocals and I was thinking about giving it a go.