Annual Subscription Payment.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
I've just moved to a new area and was looking round for a new club to join. As my wife and I both play it can be a big outlay. Both clubs I've been at before we just paid monthly DD. I've just looked at my new local course and they don't have this option so to pay monthly I'd have to take out finance and pay 12.4% apr.
Is this usual for a lot of clubs out there? We have now decided not to join and are going to the next nearest as it's saving us £160 in interest.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've just moved to a new area and was looking round for a new club to join. As my wife and I both play it can be a big outlay. Both clubs I've been at before we just paid monthly DD. I've just looked at my new local course and they don't have this option so to pay monthly I'd have to take out finance and pay 12.4% apr.
Is this usual for a lot of clubs out there? We have now decided not to join and are going to the next nearest as it's saving us £160 in interest.

Certainly has been common at clubs that I have been a member of. The clubs wants the money up front so you end up with a credit agreement and monthly interest. Used to be with Fairway Credit last time I had to use it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Certainly has been common at clubs that I have been a member of. The clubs wants the money up front so you end up with a credit agreement and monthly interest. Used to be with Fairway Credit last time I had to use it.
My club offers monthly payments via Fairway Credit, yes. I used it my first two years but it does cost you more overall once they add interest (although you do pay the whole thing over 10 months so it feels like the last two months are free). This time I've paid for the following year from the outset though.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My understanding is that most clubs don’t want to get into the world of directly providing credit facilities to members as that gets them tied up in loads of financial compliance stuff - though many (including my own) arrange credit for members through Fairway Credit as others have mentioned.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yep, I’ve been through fairway credit in the past. My current club charge a flat £50 extra to pay monthly. So this year I’ve got myself an interest free credit card, will put the full amount on that and just pay it off monthly, I’ll end up paying zero interest as it’s interest free for more than a year.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yep, I’ve been through fairway credit in the past. My current club charge a flat £50 extra to pay monthly. So this year I’ve got myself an interest free credit card, will put the full amount on that and just pay it off monthly, I’ll end up paying zero interest as it’s interest free for more than a year.
I think I should have done that. Instead we've used our savings that I'll just pay more back into each month. But probably should have done it your way as my credit score is actually pretty decent.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think I should have done that. Instead we've used our savings that I'll just pay more back into each month. But probably should have done it your way as my credit score is actually pretty decent.

Yeh, that’s where I’m at. I’d rather keep the money in my savings and just pay monthly as I’m used to that now anyway.

carldudley

Visit site
My club offer to pay in full, two payments or monthly, though you pay about £50 more for the monthly payment option. All done through the club and standing orders.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've just set up my standing order. 9 payments in total. No interest or penalty, not done through a credit company. Happy days, thank you golf club.

The cost of membership at many clubs is quite a chunk and so spreading the payments is pretty standard, I would imagine.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
My understanding is that most clubs don’t want to get into the world of directly providing credit facilities to members as that gets them tied up in loads of financial compliance stuff - though many (including my own) arrange credit for members through Fairway Credit as others have mentioned.
Yup, you don't want to be muck8ng about with the FCA ,was a nightmare for us so have outsourced to a credit company

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Our place has a direct debit scheme via Debit Finance. Most of my regular playing partners use it, primarily because the club are very good about suspending payments if members are ill or injured.

Springveldt

Visit site
I've just set up my standing order. 9 payments in total. No interest or penalty, not done through a credit company. Happy days, thank you golf club.

The cost of membership at many clubs is quite a chunk and so spreading the payments is pretty standard, I would imagine.
Yep, the 9 month option this year is new but I’ve always paid in 6 instalments at our place, interest free through the club. It used to be 6 post dated cheques then when covid hit they started allowing 6 standing orders.

Was pleasantly surprised to see a 9 month option this year, really great move by the club. Those that used Fairway Credit would be mental to not take the 9 month option from the club.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yep, the 9 month option this year is new but I’ve always paid in 6 instalments at our place, interest free through the club. It used to be 6 post dated cheques then when covid hit they started allowing 6 standing orders.

Was pleasantly surprised to see a 9 month option this year, really great move by the club. Those that used Fairway Credit would be mental to not take the 9 month option from the club.
6 post dated cheques :unsure:. Who has a cheque book now? :LOL:. Yes, it is a great option offered by the club.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Up until this renewal if you wanted to use monthly DD where I play we offered it via a credit company and I think the fee was 8%.

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
My course in Coventry allows payment by installments, over either 6 or 12 months, the cost for this is £12 or £36. 12 months must be by standing order