Annual review

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why would anybody need an annual review.
If your best 8 from 20 determine your handicap then you have another 12 scores in the list.
Why would a review be needed.
If you didn’t have 20 scores that’s fair enough.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having run the report this morning we have 45 players on the report. We are a big club with 800+ members.
What period did you use for the Reports..... the full Q period from April or so?? Results are very different if its the last few months..... what should we be using??

IanMcC

Visit site
What period did you use for the Reports..... the full Q period from April or so?? Results are very different if its the last few months..... what should we be using??
12 months if you run qualifiers throughout whole year. Otherwise back to when qualifiers started.

Attachments

• Handicap-Review-Guidance-2021-England-Golf.pdf
    94.6 KB · Views: 10

wjemather

Visit site
12 months if you run qualifiers throughout whole year. Otherwise back to when qualifiers started.
Should be 12 months regardless. Players can still submit scores from elsewhere when their home course is unable/unwilling to facilitate submission of scores for handicapping.

D-S

Visit site
Having run the report this morning we have 45 players on the report. We are a big club with 800+ members.

Wow - that is a lot of players flagged.

I have just checked most of the Gloucestershire Clubs and the vast majority are under 10, most courses with 700+ are around 8-10. Clubs with two or more courses have more members so are around 15. The largest membership in the country, 3 courses, (over 2000) only has 25.
I wonder if this is particular to your club.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

We run the report from the date we did the last annual review to the present.

We run comps all year round and players can submit GP scores all year round.

From a quick scan of just the number of cards submitted (one player with 236 and quite a few over 100) I know that a lot will get only a brief review.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I have just checked most of the Gloucestershire Clubs and the vast majority are under 10, most courses with 700+ are around 8-10. Clubs with two or more courses have more members so are around 15. The largest membership in the country, 3 courses, (over 2000) only has 25.

As 2 blue question- what time period are these clubs running the report for.

It is an annual review and we run the report for the whole year since the last review (we run comps and GP scores can be submitted all year). We had a similar number last year but (from memory ) only about 10 players had their indexes altered.

D-S

Visit site
As 2 blue question- what time period are these clubs running the report for.

It is an annual review and we run the report for the whole year since the last review (we run comps and GP scores can be submitted all year). We had a similar number last year but (from memory ) only about 10 players had their indexes altered.
The comparative reports I ran were for the past 12 months. Most of these clubs run competitions all year and have qualifying courses for this entire period too.

LizAig

Visit site
Wow, thats quite a change. Seems very restrictive to leave everything to the algorithm alone for the rest of the year. Maybe thats part of the problem some clubs are having with the wild scores, but unable to make interventions like we would have of old.
You can review throughout the year even if not flagged by WHS - my game suffered when I was ill. I kept asking for it to be put up and the committee refused so I asked them to speak to EG handicap and they said definitely needs to be higher …. Now im back playing regularly they are just waiting to drop me!! As long as you have a good reason you can review.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Appendix D
"A review can be conducted annually or as otherwise necessary."

Seems like other than 12 months is necessary at some clubs.
We have just run ours. 1 up 2 down out of 600+ members. Plus 5 juniors we didn't touch.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
You can review throughout the year even if not flagged by WHS - my game suffered when I was ill. I kept asking for it to be put up and the committee refused so I asked them to speak to EG handicap and they said definitely needs to be higher …. Now im back playing regularly they are just waiting to drop me!! As long as you have a good reason you can review.
IanMcC has rules above that instruct you cannot review at all times. Whats the truth, or is it different in different regions ?

D-S

Visit site
IanMcC has rules above that instruct you cannot review at all times. Whats the truth, or is it different in different regions ?
Ian Mcc has posted the annual review guidance which should be held between 1/10 and 31/12 every year. This does not preclude having a review at any other time. I do not see anywhere ‘rules that instruct you cannot review at all times’.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Newly handicapped players are supposed to be reviewed on a regular basis. We also review after a request or a complaint.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

One of the points is that handicaps that are requested due to illness or injury can only be reviewed based upon scores submitted since the injury or illness occurred.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

For your interest out of the 45 players on the report only 2 were adjusted. It did leave me wondering about the algorithm as an awful lot of the players on the review had loads of general play scores as well as comp scores on their record and in all of our opinions there were enough scores around their HIs to justify not changing it.

One of the other things that came to mind I suppose it would depend on the club's ISV and if all ISVs use the same algorithm, if not you can only compare clubs that use the same ISV.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
For your interest out of the 45 players on the report only 2 were adjusted. It did leave me wondering about the algorithm as an awful lot of the players on the review had loads of general play scores as well as comp scores on their record and in all of our opinions there were enough scores around their HIs to justify not changing it.

One of the other things that came to mind I suppose it would depend on the club's ISV and if all ISVs use the same algorithm, if not you can only compare clubs that use the same ISV.
The algorithm for reports is run through the WHS DB not by ISVs.

Reactions: D-S

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
[QUOTE="jim8flog, post: 2576872, member: 23204"
Which leaves one wondering why we are getting 45 on our list yet D-S says most others are only getting 10 or so.[/QUOTE]
Is the committee doing any intermediate reviews? But why have only 2 been adjusted?

Our assistant manager (who happens to be plus 1) reviews all our board and most other comp results. He picks out 'unusual' high or low differentials and reports to the committee if he thinks fit. We only had 2 adjustments this year.

Last edited: