Annual review

would you take an increase?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
was speaking to a guy over the weekend who had a very poor season last year and had gone from 6 to 8 and was offered an increase in his handicap, but refused

so would you take the increase or not?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The committee should not offer increases but should apply them unless they have good reason (e.g. performance in Non Qualifying Competitions, match play etc) not to apply an adjustment. Players should not be allowed to refuse the increase. They can always appeal to the county
See Clause 23/4

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Putting aside the issue of whether it should be optional or not, answering the original question, if I was given the option I would refuse the increase.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i could see why you would refuse if you were cat1 and wanted to get in to certain comps, but if you were playing bad, why wouldn't you

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The committee should not offer increases but should apply them unless they have good reason (e.g. performance in Non Qualifying Competitions, match play etc) not to apply an adjustment. Players should not be allowed to refuse the increase. They can always appeal to the county
See Clause 23/4
would it be different for Scotland?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
To paraphrase the clause
It would be incorrect in thinking that having too low a handicap only affects the individual. In fact not acting on recommendations leaving players with handicaps that are too low could well affect every other handicap in the club, due to the potential impact on the Competition Scratch Score (CSS). This is particularly relevant in Qualifying Competitions with small field sizes.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If it was an offer and not mandatory then I would say no.

I dont believe one shot is the difference between me having a good or a bad round.

Never have done. Never understood anyone being worried after they said I have been cut from say 18 down to 15. How can I play to that? My thinking and reply was always. Hit a couple of more up and downs.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It very much depends on circumstances. If I felt I was better than my handicap but I had simply performed poorly in comps and they offered to put me up, then no. If I had got cut a lot though and then struggled to play to it and the offered me a shot back, then maybe yes.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Surely you have to trust the handicap rules and secretary to get it right and therefore accept up or down. I don't see it as a pick or choose option.

Could the secretary be in a position where the player refuses, play even worse the next year so having to add on 4 strokes say to compensate. If that offer was taken and they went straight to a low round and won something then the Handicap Secretary may have the spotlight needlessly on them.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
was speaking to a guy over the weekend who had a very poor season last year and had gone from 6 to 8 and was offered an increase in his handicap, but refused

so would you take the increase or not?

Was speaking to a guy at Gleneagles yesterday who is a member at Nairn and he said you could be doing with a few more shots

D

Deleted member 17920

Yes please.

12 to 24 should be good. It’s not going to make any difference to me making buffer tho 🤣