Animal markings

Zella

Visit site
During a pairs match my ball land in a hole approx 4” diameter , the whole of the ball was below ground level. I could see this hole was made by an animal, however both the opposing players said Ive got to play the ball as it lies as I never saw an animal make it, I had no choice but to dig it out. We’re they correct?

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
No. Your opponents cannot dictate what you do; you proceed as you think/know the Rule applies. If they disagree with your actions, they can notify you that they are going to request a ruling from the Committee.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seeing an animal making the hole would certainly clinch the matter but, as said, it isn't a criterion for relief being allowed. That would be unworkable. I was called over to help a player in a tournament this season whose ball was in a hole in the upslope of a bunker. There was nothing to go by such as rabbit droppings and so the decision came down to whether the hole could have been formed naturally, by rain for example, or by a human as opposed to an animal. To my mind it couldn't have been and so the player got relief. On another occasion a ball was in hole up against a tree. It looked to me to be just the kind of natural hole you get in amongst tree roots - rain running down the trunk of the tree perhaps - and so I had to say it wasn't an animal hole. These are judgments you have to make as best you can and hope to get right whether you are a player or a referee.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Seeing an animal making the hole would certainly clinch the matter but, as said, it isn't a criterion for relief being allowed. That would be unworkable. I was called over to help a player in a tournament this season whose ball was in a hole in the upslope of a bunker. There was nothing to go by such as rabbit droppings and so the decision came down to whether the hole could have been formed naturally, by rain for example, or by a human as opposed to an animal. To my mind it couldn't have been and so the player got relief. On another occasion a ball was in hole up against a tree. It looked to me to be just the kind of natural hole you get in amongst tree roots - rain running down the trunk of the tree perhaps - and so I had to say it wasn't an animal hole. These are judgments you have to make as best you can and hope to get right whether you are a player or a referee.
Having experienced the tree one, it is frustrating!