Angle of attack and dynamic loft

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have been doing some research I know my angle of attack and that I have changed it.. not significantly though! -2 to 0. But still the dynamic loft is below optimum and I have increased my driver loft to help me.
Some of my research brought me to the Ping documents that indicate spin level, and dynamic loft that is suitable at certain swing speeds. Then there was an interesting article on Ko Jin Young vs Brookes Koepka. Basically her driver loft is 9.0 degrees and AoA is +3 degrees making her efficiency the greatest at 2.74yards for each mph. Brookes was using a 10.5 degree driver and had an AoA of -1.5 degrees.
I was trying to find more data and swing analysis on Ko to see if she can teach me something and make me squeeze more out of what I have .. so I wanted to increase my AoA and increase my low spin numbers of 2200 rpm to 26-2800

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Check where you are striking the ball on the face of the driver. If your attack angle has shallowed and you are hitting it on the up, you may need to tee the ball a little higher as it sounds like it might be coming off the bottom of the face.

Neeko1988

Visit site
What do you play off? What is ur standard shot shape? Reason I ask is I have always hit a fade and struggled with too much dynamic loft for years. As I have got down to 6 and experimented with shot shaping and wrist angles it has altered my dynamic loft dramatically.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I was trying to find more data and swing analysis on Ko to see if she can teach me something and make me squeeze more out of what I have .. so I wanted to increase my AoA and increase my low spin numbers of 2200 rpm to 26-2800
I presume these are Driver numbers
Why are you trying to increase your Spin?
Remember the old (now) TM (semi-)slogan...17/1700? (Optimum Launch angle/Spin)
Definitely worth trying to get AofA positive though. Higher Tee helps in that area! Not sure whether increasing Driver loft helps (instinctively feel it hurts!).
Launch Mon session is definitely the way to really tune it!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have been doing some research I know my angle of attack and that I have changed it.. not significantly though! -2 to 0. But still the dynamic loft is below optimum and I have increased my driver loft to help me.
Some of my research brought me to the Ping documents that indicate spin level, and dynamic loft that is suitable at certain swing speeds. Then there was an interesting article on Ko Jin Young vs Brookes Koepka. Basically her driver loft is 9.0 degrees and AoA is +3 degrees making her efficiency the greatest at 2.74yards for each mph. Brookes was using a 10.5 degree driver and had an AoA of -1.5 degrees.
I agree with Foxy, with your driver you need a low spin rate with a positive AoA.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What do you play off? What is ur standard shot shape? Reason I ask is I have always hit a fade and struggled with too much dynamic loft for years. As I have got down to 6 and experimented with shot shaping and wrist angles it has altered my dynamic loft dramatically.
Shot shape varies, I am usually straight, then I go to a fade as I get over the top, and then I go to a draw when I come from the inside. Currently going through one of my doldrums I am a low single but mowing the lawn and being a dad has had its toll on my game taking me up to 10. The wrist action is a bit dangerous you have to have super timing to get it right, I am trying to let that just happen as opposed to resisting it.

I presume these are Driver numbers
Why are you trying to increase your Spin?
Remember the old (now) TM (semi-)slogan...17/1700? (Optimum Launch angle/Spin)
Definitely worth trying to get AofA positive though. Higher Tee helps in that area! Not sure whether increasing Driver loft helps (instinctively feel it hurts!).
Launch Mon session is definitely the way to really tune it!
My spin is too low,I was around 1600. I have changed my angle of attack, upped my swing speed, and lofted up. But if Ko is hitting a 9 degree driver at 97mph and getting 2.74m / mph that is the target.. 97 mph is easy to maintain and not get tired, but it would be nice to also step up and get the big one out and keep efficiency. So I need to get the AoA up .. I want to see her set up and see where she was hitting from in her stance and tee height.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Have a feeling I read somewhere that the average on LPGA was a +ve AOA for driver, but on the PGA was still -ve.
Perhaps related to the sheer power/speed.
Of course this would have been pre the Bryson re-baseline.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
D

Deleted member 21258

Do you have a device(or access to), to measure AOA and dynamic loft at launch ? If you do, then you need to have a play around with your driver to get your optimum figures or desired flight (as that is more important, for example I have lofted down, as I play windy course, so less carry and more run and less height for more control)

IIRC increasing loft on the driver, will increase launch angle, increase spin but reduce smash factor.

You can play around a lot with AOA and launch. Some examples are Move hips forward address, keep weight back at address and during swing, angle up body up at address. Will all change AOA by a degree or two etc. You could feel like you are flicking at the ball, to increase dynamic loft and letting the club overtake your heads(careful as tend e the clubface, big hooks!). Its surprising how much you can changes things and do even on normal swings with regards to dynamic loft/spin.

Will really depend on your individual swing, I struggle to get my AOA above 2 up(normally 0-1), due to an out to in swing. Son regularly hits 5+ up with a fairly neutral or in to out path(and less spin). He carrys the ball in the air further than me, but total distance similar.

What I have found out on the course, is that AOA and launch angle etc can vary the distance carried and height of shot, but where it ends up at(for most of the year), doesn't vary much and strike/speed is king on TOTAL distance for me.