Andy Fletcher (Depeche Mode)

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sadly I’ve just read that Andy has passed aged just 60. He was mostly in the background playing bass synth, but was the glue that held them together.

Depeche Mode have been the band that I have listened to the most over the past 40 years and I must admit to shedding a tear on hearing the news. RIP.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Bad day for bands. Alan White, drummer for Yes, also died today, age 72. I’m currently listening to the Close to the Edge album, his first with Yes.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
The drummer on Close to the Edge is Bill Bruford.

Think you’ll find White did a fair bit of the studio work because Bruford left the studio early. But yes you are right, Bruford didn’t leave the band, officially, till after the album was released, just before the Close to the Edge tour.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Think you’ll find White did a fair bit of the studio work because Bruford left the studio early. But yes you are right, Bruford didn’t leave the band, officially, till after the album was released, just before the Close to the Edge tour.
Coincidentally, perhaps, yesterday I found myself listening to and watching Yours is No Disgrace and of course Bruford on drums

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
No, Alan White is not on Close to the Edge. His first studio album is Topographic Oceans.

Bruford has spoken many times about how difficult the CTTE sessions were, and that was a factor in his decision to quit after recording had finished and before the tour - although I suspect even if recording had gone smoothly, the chance to join Crimson would have been too tempting to refuse.

But anyhow, this is all a bit of a diversion away from lamenting the passing of great musicians. Let's not forget this thread was started about Andy Fletcher.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Was watching Narcos Mexico last night and the news flashed up on my phone. 10 seconds later the scene in the program cut to a club with Enjoy the Silence playing in the background.
Thought it was a little eerie.