And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
If you can't spot the wider picture of a football match when watching it on TV then the problem is with you, not the footage.

If you believe that comment then you have never been to a football match, and will never have any reason to.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
If you can't spot the wider picture of a football match when watching it on TV then the problem is with you, not the footage.

Whilst you may (most likely will) get a better impression of the football being played whilst sat at home. You won’t be able to get a feeling for the atmosphere, the attitude of the players etc.

You may hear a few boos, but it won’t let you know how toxic the atmosphere may become. Managers lose jobs when match going fans go on walkouts or start campaigns. Not because tv fans tune in less.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
If you believe that comment then you have never been to a football match, and will never have any reason to.

I won't claim to have been to as many as lots of people on here but I've been to more than I can count at various levels of football - local Northern Irish football, Championship, Premier League and Champions League - and while I always prefer the atmosphere of an actual match, that aspect dilutes the more technical side of analysing a game. You scream for red cards at the game, when you can see on TV that it's not even a foul.

It's nothing more than snobbery from people who go to games to claim they have more insight. You'll find most people who go to games rewatch the game on TV before giving detailed comments because they know their view is tainted.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I won't claim to have been to as many as lots of people on here but I've been to more than I can count at various levels of football - local Northern Irish football, Championship, Premier League and Champions League - and while I always prefer the atmosphere of an actual match, that aspect dilutes the more technical side of analysing a game. You scream for red cards at the game, when you can see on TV that it's not even a foul.

It's nothing more than snobbery from people who go to games to claim they have more insight. You'll find most people who go to games rewatch the game on TV before giving detailed comments because they know their view is tainted.
what i am trying to say is that you see things at a game that you dont see on telly. And even with all the action replays going off you still dont see things on telly. Having said that. When i have got home from games. I watch a game again to see things i have missed at the game. Or to see other angles of an incident. What i am saying is that if you only ever have a telly view of football you opinion will be a biased telly view.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's true that since stadiums don't show replays, there are plenty of incidents that you've not had a decent view of. As you say, I generally have to watch things online that I've seen live to give a proper opinion of them. However, for some players you do have to see them live to fully appreciate them - most notably players who do a lot of work off the ball, which is not really noticeable on TV. I remember when Crouch played for us, on TV he just looks like a big stick to aim long balls at, but it was only when seeing him live at the ground that I realised how much work he would put in for the team, and also that he very often called for the ball to his feet and never got it there because it was just too tempting for his teammates to punt it up to his head. So seeing him live changed my opinion of him from a one dimensional heading merchant, to a hard-working frontman with good feet who isn't able to show it as often as he'd like.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some of the stupidest fans I've met have been sitting next to me at the game. A fair few match goers just don't know what they are watching. They are certainly passionate, yet don't really know what tactics are being employed, who is playing where, and what the right thing to do with the ball is.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some of the stupidest fans I've met have been sitting next to me at the game. A fair few match goers just don't know what they are watching. They are certainly passionate, yet don't really know what tactics are being employed, who is playing where, and what the right thing to do with the ball is.
God I hate being stuck next to someone like that for 90 minutes. They'll always have some personal vendetta against one player who's actually doing alright. "Who's ***ing man was that!?" when the team uses zonal marking, etc. It actually ruins your enjoyment of the game doesn't it?

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
God I hate being stuck next to someone like that for 90 minutes. They'll always have some personal vendetta against one player who's actually doing alright. "Who's ***ing man was that!?" when the team uses zonal marking, etc. It actually ruins your enjoyment of the game doesn't it?

Yes!

"Go forward!!!" and then a big rolleyes and groan moment as it is passed back, is one I hear a lot, even though we are retaining possession. :). Then when it is lumped forward aimlessly as the bloke wants..."who was that too?! Player X, you're f-s...get him off!". Repeat.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes!

"Go forward!!!" and then a big rolleyes and groan moment as it is passed back, is one I hear a lot, even though we are retaining possession. :). Then when it is lumped forward aimlessly as the bloke wants..."who was that too?! Player X, you're f-s...get him off!". Repeat.
And how he can say with absolute certainty that their striker was onside, thanks to his clear view of it 150 yards away in the top tier behind the corner flag. :LOL:

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Sorry, but that is total tosh and you sound like a bit of a numpty. You see more live at the game as the camera merely follows the ball for TV viewers.

Live at the match you see player movement off the ball, tactical set up, man marking etc as you have a wider scope of vision. To think otherwise is wrong. The only advantage of TV is the replays.

D

Deleted member 15344

Just seen Richarlisons penalty 😂😂😂😂

Has it landed yet

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sorry, but that is total tosh and you sound like a bit of a numpty. You see more live at the game as the camera merely follows the ball for TV viewers.

Live at the match you see player movement off the ball, tactical set up, man marking etc as you have a wider scope of vision. To think otherwise is wrong. The only advantage of TV is the replays.
I don't think it's something you can levy just at footie. Live rugby (both codes) is a different spectacle live where you get an appreciation of whats happening all over the pitch. That said though there are places, especially as away fans at football where it's impossible to see clearly enough to be certain of a decision (but won't stop you appealing).

When Fulham at Loftus Road for a while we had Junichi Inamoto playing and it attracted hoardes of Japanese spectators many of whom had never been to a game or had any idea what was going on. Sitting next to them jabbering away in Japanese while a typical bruising encounter was going on was bizarre but didn't stop my mates and I venting our displeasure at poorly performing players or officials

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just the hat-trick for Neymar tonight and Spurs already one down. Saw the Neymar free kick for his first and typically nonchalantly up and over a wall. Barca looking ominous but Spurs looking out of touch and nervy. Liverpool weathering a tough start and playing themselves into it but Keita seems to have gone down off the ball with what looks like a muscle problem. That's not good news

Fish

Banned
Visit site
We (Liverpool) are getting played off the park at Napoli. Uncomfortable viewing.

I don't think you've played that well for around a month, you've ground out some results but there's nothing convincing about you currently and are their for the taking.

Salah is still in Russia, but Klop won't rest him as he clearly never has a plan B, so he's a passenger currently imo. You need to start with Shaqiri who will be hungry to impress and then bring on Sturridge.

Salah needs resting or you'll just destroy his confidence even more than it is possibly now!

You obviously have an issue playing against teams in blue, and guess who's next :unsure: