Analyse my swing!

Sneds

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi guys, I got a couple of videos of my swing so I figured I would post them as a lot is going wrong!! Constructive criticism is welcome. Scathing criticism will a bit more amusing though.

Apologies for any issues with the video quality. It was all done with the iPhone 4.

Sooo, this is a driver down the line. It starts off right side of fairway and finishes left hand rough. Not a narrow fairway either....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQop2XK6eMM&feature=youtube_gdata

This next one is a 6iron, I didn't quite catch it but it was lovely and straight all the way, but finished on the front edge of the green.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbxlEchDLOI&feature=youtube_gdata" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbxlEchDLOI&feature=youtube_gdata </a>

Anyway, thanks for your help.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The main problem as I see it is the ball moves a long way right to left.
You aim well right with your feet to compensate.
If you look at the clubface at the top of the swing, its pointing at the sky (closed).
My suggestion is to not worry about the swing too much but to check your grip. If it's too strong that will cause the ball to hook.
Fix the grip and the aim and you should end up with a lovely draw.
Happy days :)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
its your grip, at the top of your swing your 6 iron is very flat and not inline with your swing plane (its 100% identical to a problem i had for the last 6 months and I was told at the top of my swing the club head whould point towards the ball not flat) my grip was very strong meaning the club face was flat at the top of my swing and not on the swing plane meaning i was turning my hands over the ball as i strike it. it was fine for 7 irons downwards but anything else got a strong draw.

I’ve had to work on moving my right hand further over the club which keeps it more neutral (and also gave me about 20 yards on my drives ;) )

do a search on you tube for "club grip" and there should be a few vids on how to correct this. I think the rule of thumb was that you shouldn’t be able to see your left hand thumb

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
you should note its handy to still practice a bit like this as you would be suprised how handy it can come in for recovery shots from behind tree's etc ;)

I tend to try and practice a few shoults with my old grip (to practice the draw, and a few with an overly compensated fix incase i need to try and fade. ;)

Sneds

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thank you for the advice, both Bob and Oddsocks.

Bob, I have always had issues with my alingment. Mainly because I have never been confident that I am aligned straight anyway. However, you have said that I am aiming right in the above videos, but how can you tell? Even looking at the video now I think I am aiming straight.

As you can probably tell, when I first started played golf I had severe slicing issues hence the over compensation now!

I also have a question regarding my 6iron which is super flat at the top of my swing, it went straight as an arrow, does this mean that I've actually hit the ball on an out to in path and the grip and swing have cancelled each other out?

Oddsocks, you say that you worked on moving your right hand over the club more. Am I crazy or would that just strengthen my grip?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Oddsocks, you say that you worked on moving your right hand over the club more. Am I crazy or would that just strengthen my grip?

Thank you in advance for your help.

this is a hard thing to explain, but basically as you grip the club, the line between my thumb and first finger would be pointing towards my right shoulder, so as i was coming through the ball when this hand would return to its natural position the face of the club would be closed. I now working on having that line pretty my pointing at my face so that my right thumb covers the left thumb on the grip and this has cured this issue.

I do also have to be carefull of my left thumb moving duruing my backswing which also closes the face on impact.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sneds....if you want to swing the club a little more upright, I can photo/describe a drill I've been doing. I've been hitting it really straight recently and I put it down to my backswing improving.

I only had time for 9 yesterday and almost achieved something I've been trying to do for 3 years....too long a story, but I put it down to swing changes more than anything else.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Look where your club is pointing...

sned1gif.gif

Try not to over swing, it should be somewhere like this...

sned2gif.gif

Over swinging will cause you to lose direction, lose power and be inconsistent.

Regards....