American Golf offer for NHS and Emergency Services Staff

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Fill yer boots Homie (and all other NHS and Emergency services staff), AG are offering 50% off clothing and 25% off clubs in store until the end of June

From their twitter:

NHS and Emergency Services staff we THANK YOU.

We are offering you a huge 50% discount on all clothing and 25% off all clubs and equipment until the end of June. Head into our stores today to claim your discount

#americangolf

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Not quite getting the rave reviews on Twitter.
lots of issues of stores rescuing the discount on gear and only allowing 25% on clothing. Appears tweets been blocked now too.....

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
I've been getting a little whiff of jumping on the band wagon by all the companies offering perks, discounts and such like. Lots of folk working in the NHS just doing their job and not 'heroes' by any stretch, whilst there are lots of folk around the country pulling their tripe out to help people with zero recompense or acknowledgement.

Enough of this putting the NHS staff on a pedestal, great job etc yada yada but lets just stop it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've been getting a little whiff of jumping on the band wagon by all the companies offering perks, discounts and such like. Lots of folk working in the NHS just doing their job and not 'heroes' by any stretch, whilst there are lots of folk around the country pulling their tripe out to help people with zero recompense or acknowledgement.

Enough of this putting the NHS staff on a pedestal, great job etc yada yada but lets just stop it.
Sorry but in my opinion that's a poor post. Having seen first hand how hard NHS staff have worked in difficult circumstances including in a few examples I've known off deciding to stay on-site rather than going home and risking infecting families for many weeks at a time, staff working longer hours to cover gaps in the rota where staff were ill or having to self isolate and having to learn on the hoof how best to treat the patients, while working in stifling heat in full PPE.

I accept fully, and have paid tribute on here, that there have been plenty of examples outside the NHS of keyworkers also going above and beyond and yest they should be recognised as well but where do companies draw the line? As someone who has had paltry pay rises and a lack of recognition for years, it has made a pleasant change

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Homer, if you're off sick. Do you get statutory sick pay? If not, how long is it paid? How good is your pension?

Lots of people work and recieve siginiicantly worse perks than those in the public sector.

Now that doesn't take away from their efforts during this outbreak or in general. But i certainly don't feel sorry for people who choose to work for the public sector. I'd also go as far as to say that lots of people have done work I'd deem more important and more risky than those not working front line for the NHS.

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
Sorry but in my opinion that's a poor post. Having seen first hand how hard NHS staff have worked in difficult circumstances including in a few examples I've known off deciding to stay on-site rather than going home and risking infecting families for many weeks at a time, staff working longer hours to cover gaps in the rota where staff were ill or having to self isolate and having to learn on the hoof how best to treat the patients, while working in stifling heat in full PPE.

I accept fully, and have paid tribute on here, that there have been plenty of examples outside the NHS of keyworkers also going above and beyond and yest they should be recognised as well but where do companies draw the line? As someone who has had paltry pay rises and a lack of recognition for years, it has made a pleasant change

No need to be sorry Homer, I expect some will disagree (y) I also have no doubt there of many many instances of what you describe around the country, I agree, some absolutely sterling work and commitment has been seen and recognised.

What i'm saying is that the hero worship, well it needs to stop. I can't be alone in thinking this.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No need to be sorry Homer, I expect some will disagree (y) I also have no doubt there of many many instances of what you describe around the country, I agree, some absolutely sterling work and commitment has been seen and recognised.

What i'm saying is that the hero worship, well it needs to stop. I can't be alone in thinking this.

Up to a point I can agree especially as we seem to have reached a lull. One thing I will say though, was especially after the first clap for heroes, each and every member of the shift I was on the next morning had a smile on their face and were walking a few inches taller so that form of hero worship was definitely worth its place.

Perhaps now while deaths are coming down, although the R number still a cause for concern, it is time to reign the NHS hero status in a bit, and the same for the other keyworkers. If in due course we get a second wave or it hits again as a Winter bug the hero tag will be justified when they answer the call to arms

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
Homer, I may be getting a cynical old bugger but I feel that the more the word 'Hero' is used it gets diluted and diminished. Just like every serviceman is not a 'hero' neither is every NHS worker, Policeman or firefighter.

I now have a Bonnie Tyler earworm, marvellous ;)

NearHull

Visit site
Homer, I may be getting a cynical old bugger but I feel that the more the word 'Hero' is used it gets diluted and diminished. Just like every serviceman is not a 'hero' neither is every NHS worker, Policeman or firefighter.

I now have a Bonnie Tyler earworm, marvellous ;)
Now I also have a Bonnie Tyler ear worm, and it’s only 6 in the morning!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't see this offer online anywhere.
If it was genuine wouldn't it have been advertised on their website? Nothing on there.

Edit: This link came up via Google search but when you go there it's 404 Not Found: https://blog.americangolf.co.uk/huge-discounts-for-emergency-service-staff/

Not quite getting the rave reviews on Twitter.
lots of issues of stores rescuing the discount on gear and only allowing 25% on clothing. Appears tweets been blocked now too.....
I'm starting to wonder if it was a fake tweet that has taken a lot of people in.

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Been saying this for a while.
So they’re giving a discount to people that are still earning their full wage ?‍♂️.
My Mrs works for the NHS & I still think the whole hero worship thing was OTT.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Been saying this for a while.
So they’re giving a discount to people that are still earning their full wage ?‍♂️.
My Mrs works for the NHS & I still think the whole hero worship thing was OTT.
I’m not sure the fact they earn full wage is an issue. Its a thank you. Not given because they might be struggling. Although in general I’d certainly not be giving money to the poor furloughed people who have 3 months off with little financial impact.

As above though I do think others are actually deserving.