Alwoodley v Moortown

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date
D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm just back from a trip to Leeds where I played both the above. Very much in the same manner as the Hillside v Formby debate, I'd be interested to read the thoughts of anyone else who has also played both. Alwoodley is ranked 48th in the GM rankings and Moortown 60th and both were designed by the legendary Alistair McKenzie of Cypress Point and Augusta National fame.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Mmm, tough one. I've played Moortown many times, and Alwoodley just the once. Several years ago I would have said Moortown every time but since they've chopped down lots of trees to return it to how it looked in its early days I'm not so keen. However, I still think it has the better finishing holes. Alwoodley is better around the turn.

I think I'll call this one a draw.

D

Deleted member 17920

I don't even think its a close one.

alwoodley is a miles better course, much stronger holes and far easier on the eye.

17 is my least favourite but at the rest are really good holes, loads of variety throughout.

Moortown I don't like 11,12,13 or 14 but the finishing holes are good.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Interesting comments Glyn but I think Brian is closer :thup:

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only played Alwoodley once and it was a while ago. I remember at the time thinking that the course was better than Moortown, but Moortown seemed a better 'club'.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Absolutely loved both (although Ganton is better). I would pick alwoodley of the two although I hated one hole (I think it was the 10th, it just doesn’t work as a par 4 off the yellows), and 17th approach is poor..
Would happily play either for the rest of time though!!

D

Deleted member 1740

Absolutely loved both (although Ganton is better). I would pick alwoodley of the two although I hated one hole (I think it was the 10th, it just doesn’t work as a par 4 off the yellows), and 17th approach is poor..
Would happily play either for the rest of time though!!

I've not played Moortown but I agree Ganton is definitely better than Alwoodley.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I've not played Moortown but I agree Ganton is definitely better than Alwoodley.

Ganton destroyed me! Once I decided to leave the driver in the bag I was fine but the score was already shot to bits by then. Would love to play it again.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'll let you know in the coming month.:D

Ive played both before, but one was hungover, and played woefully, and the other I just played woefully. I don't let that cloud my judgement of a course, but I'm pleading the fifth on both of them until I play them both again.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bit of a rubbish review as I've only played Alwoodley but thought it was absolutely amazing. Only 1 poor-ish hole that I can remember which may be 17? Some stunning holes, some difficult holes for me and my handicap but such a stunning course to play.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Bit of a fudge but Moortown is the better club but Alwoodly is the better course.

Both are outstanding and form part of a great set of courses around north Leeds.

Merv_swerve

Challenge Tour Pro
goo.gl
I've only played Alwoodley once and it didn't really stick with me. Moortown however, I've been back to several times....

Probably need another forum meet arranging at Alwoodley to give it another shot 😉

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Same as some others, only played Alwoodley once but played Moortown a few times so it's a toughie, would need to play Alwoodley again and more in the summer to see it at its best.

merv79

Head Pro
www.ferndowngolfclub.co.uk
I played them both this year, I preferred Alwoodley over Moortown.

Obviously very good courses but I couldn't help but feel a bit disappointed after playing them, I had heard so much about them but in all honesty I feel they should both be further down the top 100 list.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have only played Alwoodley. It was ok but wouldn’t say it was any better than the top Bournemouth courses.

If the top Bournemouth courses are really good then that makes it a good course doesn't it? You just may be lucky with what you have on your doorstep.

A lot of this depends on what other courses you have played. My BiL has played a lot of corporate courses in the NE and some in Yorkshire. He really rated both Alwoodley and Ganton. Maybe if he played in another part of the country with better courses then he may dismiss them both but having played a number of very nice courses with him, so understand the baseline he is working to, then I am happy to respect his opinion.