All things BBQ and Braai

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Weber briquettes are very reliable and give a great burn, but I think youll struggle to get the desired high temp with them even in a vortex. I think you'll need to use lumpwood to get the desired temps.

Yeah maybe you’re right. Weird thing is when I lit them in the vortex the lid temp gauge went off the scale, when I lit them in the chimney I only got maybe 300c ?

marksman

Visit site
I just need to get myself a decent BBQ now. They had some at the event where I got my pizza oven. They were £880 for the egg style ones. I said I couldn't justify spending nearly £900 on a BBQ. The salesman said they were on a show offer of £780 and as I'd already bought the pizza oven he'd do it for £750. As we're saving to buy a house I just can't spend that kind of money on a BBQ at the minute especially as the cooking area was quite small. They were ok for a family of four but no good for entertaining on a larger scale.
Have a look at the American XXL BBQ on the Argos website. Large cooking area grill and may be more suitable to your budget at the moment.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This thread has forced me to get our BBQ from the back of the shed. It has been resting there for nearly 5 years and is bloody covered in all types of mess. Jet washed it and it looks clean. Also ordered a new cover as the mouse seems to have eaten thru the old one.

Unfortunately, its a gas one, since I never learnt to handle coal. Half term will see some cooking.

We have done some veggies, chicken, odd steak... never tried any south african meat. There is a Braai shop near us. Never ventured into it. For a beginner, where do we start? any easy meat to start?

MACM85

Visit site
This thread has forced me to get our BBQ from the back of the shed. It has been resting there for nearly 5 years and is bloody covered in all types of mess. Jet washed it and it looks clean. Also ordered a new cover as the mouse seems to have eaten thru the old one.

Unfortunately, its a gas one, since I never learnt to handle coal. Half term will see some cooking.

We have done some veggies, chicken, odd steak... never tried any south african meat. There is a Braai shop near us. Never ventured into it. For a beginner, where do we start? any easy meat to start?

Easy stuff to cook would be beef and pork, From the Braai shop look at boerewors and steak. Chicken is straight forward but best to have a meat probe to check that everything is cooked properly.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

If you can do indirect cooking on your bbq (Google it lol) then chuck on a pork shoulder or similar, very hard to get wrong as long as your temps are steady. Morrisons near me sell huge racks of pork ribs for about a fiver, again very easy to do and absolutely delicious ?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bought a cheap brisket from Morrisons earlier, going old school on the Napoleon with the snake method ?
Seen some YouTube vids where they inject beef tallow so I’ve bought a tub of beef dripping (same thing in the uk I think) so let’s see what happens ?

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My saffie neighbor did some sausages for the street party… they were brilliant. Apparently buys from Bookers… it’s a trade only merchant

MACM85

Visit site
Working from home yesterday gave me the chance to smoke some pastrami that I have been curing the past week or so

pastrami.jpg

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Went to a place called Smokestak in Shoreditch on Saturday night, wow best brisket I’ve ever had, I highly recommend a visit.
Superb set up, I could have spent hours watching them cooking the meat ?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Went to a place called Smokestak in Shoreditch on Saturday night, wow best brisket I’ve ever had, I highly recommend a visit.
Superb set up, I could have spent hours watching them cooking the meat ?

I saw you were going there and meant to ask how it was. Did you get any pictures?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I saw you were going there and meant to ask how it was. Did you get any pictures?

Only a bad one of them slicing brisket and one of the grill they use to char the meat, I was too much in awe lol.
The smoker they have is massive, the lass who served us have me a quick tour, brisket (from a farm in Devon) is cooked for 10 hours using white oak at 120c with only salt and pepper as a rub. Wished I’d asked more questions, do they mop, when do they wrap in butchers paper etc. The brisket definitely had a slight vinegar tang to it which was a surprise, I was expecting the pork to be like that but it wasn’t.

C470B71E-29A4-40E4-9A33-7AB3CAAE4EB6.jpeg057DDC59-8CA5-4066-B6EF-E5943CFCE84D.jpeg

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Only a bad one of them slicing brisket and one of the grill they use to char the meat, I was too much in awe lol.
The smoker they have is massive, the lass who served us have me a quick tour, brisket (from a farm in Devon) is cooked for 10 hours using white oak at 120c with only salt and pepper as a rub. Wished I’d asked more questions, do they mop, when do they wrap in butchers paper etc. The brisket definitely had a slight vinegar tang to it which was a surprise, I was expecting the pork to be like that but it wasn’t.

View attachment 43305View attachment 43306
It’s a flipping science!

MACM85

Visit site
11hrs to cook the pulled pork. Wrapped it for the last 3hrs as the bark was set. Didn't have to top up the charcoal once and it ran at a steady 120-125c all day.

PXL-20220704-112843847.jpg

PXL-20220704-184443683.jpg

PXL-20220704-184933117-MP.jpg

MACM85

Visit site
Wow, what rub? Did you use a vinegar sauce to finish it?

The rub was from Angus & Oink and it is called Porky. I use A&O for most of my rubs as I haven't had a dud one yet.

Sauce is a simple BBQ sauce. no added vinegar etc. When wrapping I spritz in some cider vinegar to keep some moisture in the meat.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
The rub was from Angus & Oink and it is called Porky. I use A&O for most of my rubs as I haven't had a dud one yet.

Sauce is a simple BBQ sauce. no added vinegar etc. When wrapping I spritz in some cider vinegar to keep some moisture in the meat.

Nice one, love A&O stuff, shame it’s so expensive.
Was it just a supermarket pork shoulder? I can find those are a bit hit and miss.

MACM85

Visit site
Nice one, love A&O stuff, shame it’s so expensive.
Was it just a supermarket pork shoulder? I can find those are a bit hit and miss.

It wasn't a supermarket purchase. I don't get my meat from there. I use a few online butchers. This one was from Village Butchers. I use meatsupermarket for smaller cuts.

As you can see I have an A&O problem!
PXL-20220705-085722061-MP.jpg

MACM85

Visit site
PXL-20220710-173643821-MP.jpg

PXL-20220710-173652151.jpg

Picked this up on the weekend when I was on the way to grab some charcoal. Saw it on FB marketplace for £50. Too much of a bargain to turn down. Had to clean it up a bit and have now sold it for £160 so was a quick turn around with a bit of money for the golf fund.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
PXL-20220710-173643821-MP.jpg

PXL-20220710-173652151.jpg

Picked this up on the weekend when I was on the way to grab some charcoal. Saw it on FB marketplace for £50. Too much of a bargain to turn down. Had to clean it up a bit and have now sold it for £160 so was a quick turn around with a bit of money for the golf fund.

£50 is a real bargain for that!