All things BBQ and Braai

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
May as well start a thread rather than get lost in the other one
Rookie error number one with my beer can chicken effort, too many coals so the BBQ was running too hot even with the vents just about closed.
Quick Google, removed half a dozen briquettes and spread the others out more, temp now sitting at a sweet 185c with the top vent fully open and bottom half shut ?

I'm expecting big things from CI on here, no pressure ?
I use my Lava Rock gas Barbie all year round even when it's snowing.
No flaffing about trying to light it in the wind or cleaning it out afterwards, just a quick wire brush.
Turn gas on press igniter and whoosh, turn gas up and down at will, add herbs or lump wood if you want.
I just marinate steaks and the like for a few hours or sometimes over night.

Attachments

• 20200502_174307[504]_Momentsteakresized.jpg
    20200502_174307[504]_Momentsteakresized.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 13

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
???
I think they used them on the Great British Menu tv show, seems all the top chefs love em.
Lidl are currently selling a smaller version for £80 and they look to be very highly rated.
He wasn't short of a few quid and loved to bbq so he got the real thing. He got value from it and cooked all sorts on it so for him it was worth getting the full sized proper one.

I helped him put it on its stand when it arrived, it was a fair old weight. Now you mention that show I think that is where he saw them first. I think they used them quite a bit one episode or series and that inspired his upgrade. I was happy, he gave me his Weber ?

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
My BBQ skills would be on par with my golf skills, far removed from scratch.
Just burned a steak and some chicken breast, fish went ok but Bratwurst is going well as always. So stuff that needs attending and frequent turning I ca do, stuff with finesse and patience not so much.

Using a Webber kettle, the bbq for people playing Ping golf clubs ;-)

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I use my Lava Rock gas Barbie all year round even when it's snowing.
No flaffing about trying to light it in the wind or cleaning it out afterwards, just a quick wire brush.
Turn gas on press igniter and whoosh, turn gas up and down at will, add herbs or lump wood if you want.
I just marinate steaks and the like for a few hours or sometimes over night.

Be careful with a wire brush, the bristles can dislodge and get in your food. Not a nice thing to have stuck in your throat.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Be careful with a wire brush, the bristles can dislodge and get in your food. Not a nice thing to have stuck in your throat.
It's a BBQ brush and only used after cooking, the grill is always wiped down before the next cooking (y)

Attachments

• 20200524_163313bb brushresized brush.jpg
    20200524_163313bb brushresized brush.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 10

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
This went a little better today but still overdone it a little 8052D153-5923-4954-A2A6-28E66E00570C.jpeg

My issue is probably that I have to cater for myself, plus a pescatarian and a toddler only eating sausage. Too many different things.

So I put the fish on for 10 minutes away from the coal (brickets) then put it on top to char with the steak to sear, then when taking the fish off and putting the steak to the side to cook I put the sausages over the fire. But to turn them I had to open the lid frequently. But I am getting there.

I have a chicken in the fridge for tomorrow. Any tips on how to prep it? Should I do something to it today already?
I know it goes on indirect heat for a good 90 minutes, how do I know hock much coal I need?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
No pics which makes the post a bit pointless but did a really nice butterflied leg of lamb at my dads today. I was a bit sceptical as he had a sh1t BBQ, but it turned out really nicely.
Will be ordering something for this weekend, just don’t know what yet. Thinking a Boston butt for some pulled pork.