All things BBQ and Braai

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m guessing it was run at about 160 if it was a 2 hour cook looking the the picture of it done

It started on 220f and it wasn't doing much for an hour ish so opened up the bottom vent and finished at about 280f. Left it to rest for 10 minutes while I scattered the coals for more heat, then cooked it directly fat side down for 10 minutes.
I need a new project now, brisket and pork are too easy ???

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
It started on 220f and it wasn't doing much for an hour ish so opened up the bottom vent and finished at about 280f. Left it to rest for 10 minutes while I scattered the coals for more heat, then cooked it directly fat side down for 10 minutes.
I need a new project now, brisket and pork are too easy ???

How big was the brisket you did?

If you haven’t done beef ribs, get yourself a Jacobs Ladder and try that next.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you haven’t done beef ribs, get yourself a Jacobs Ladder and try that next.

Just been in touch with the local butcher's, says it may take a fortnight to get one in so we've ordered one. Do you recommend just s+p rather than a full blown rub like I've been using for my other cooks? If I'm paying top dollar for meat I want to be able to taste it properly ?

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
It’s fosters in the can ;-)

No idea why my pics come upside down. Happens on the phone all the time, but only in this forum.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Just been in touch with the local butcher's, says it may take a fortnight to get one in so we've ordered one. Do you recommend just s+p rather than a full blown rub like I've been using for my other cooks? If I'm paying top dollar for meat I want to be able to taste it properly ?

I think a lot of people rub the beef ribs like they would a brisket, so a few different ways to try it. The last ones I did I did S+P and some paprika with a bit of mustard as a binder

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Fully open. Not crept up again to 160.

I know that if you have water and steam in the same vessel it sits at 100 until all water is evaporated, but I didn’t expect that in a BBQ.
I guess it has now filled with steam which I now overheat. I must have done the setup wrong in some kind.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Fully open. Not crept up again to 160.

I know that if you have water and steam in the same vessel it sits at 100 until all water is evaporated, but I didn’t expect that in a BBQ.
I guess it has now filled with steam which I now overheat. I must have done the setup wrong in some kind.

In my experience it can take a little bit of time for the temperature to stabalise, so could have been linked to that? Was the water in your pan cold or boiling when you put it in?Also, are you using the thermometer in the lid of the BBQ, or one placed on the grill?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Cold water and thermometer in the lid. Up to 190 now and the garden smells like chicken.

OK, so the temp drop will have been from the water absorbing all of the heat. Use boiling/very hot water next time and the temps will be more stable. The thermometers in the lid arent that reliable, so just use as a bit of a guide mainly.

Sounds like it is back up to temp now thought and smelling lovely

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
It takes 1 calorie of energie to heat a gram of water by 1 degree. About 300g of water to 100 degrees, I didn’t expect it to actually suck the heat out of it.

Anyway,
4885E2D8-3D39-4E0E-B4FB-A396080E4393.jpeg
It does look better than it taste at this 1st try.

Also, I checked for 75 degrees in the thick bits but still some bits should have been done more.
And the veg is totally underdone.

Lots of things learned on the 1st try.
Less water, hot, and a lot of extra time. Maybe next week again, tomorrow I make meatballs in the oven.