All things BBQ and Braai

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Steve, quick question if you don't mind.
My digital thermometer arrived yesterday, I got one with 2 probes. If you're only cooking one piece of meat is it advisable to put the other in or around the grill area for a better overall temp reading?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Steve, quick question if you don't mind.
My digital thermometer arrived yesterday, I got one with 2 probes. If you're only cooking one piece of meat is it advisable to put the other in or around the grill area for a better overall temp reading?

I’d say so, you will then have an accurate reading of the grill temp. Which thermometer did you go for? That’s why I like the meater, as each probe gives two readings, one the internal temp of the meat, then there is another gauge in the handle of the probe to read the grill temp. They are also cordless so work easily on a rotisserie.

Some of the thermometers come with a clip to attach them to the grill too.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’d say so, you will then have an accurate reading of the grill temp. Which thermometer did you go for? That’s why I like the meater, as each probe gives two readings, one the internal temp of the meat, then there is another gauge in the handle of the probe to read the grill temp. They are also cordless so work easily on a rotisserie.

Some of the thermometers come with a clip to attach them to the grill too.

Awesome thanks mate.
I got an Inkbird bluetooth something or other with two probes, was only £24 so not a great loss if it turns out naff. It did have a clip with it, I'm guessing it attaches to the bbq handle somehow.
The meater does look a piece of kit mind, but £80 or a cooking gadget ?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Awesome thanks mate.
I got an Inkbird bluetooth something or other with two probes, was only £24 so not a great loss if it turns out naff. It did have a clip with it, I'm guessing it attaches to the bbq handle somehow.
The meater does look a piece of kit mind, but £80 or a cooking gadget ?
if you use a probe on the gril a few times it will also give you an idea on how your lid thermometer readings relate to grill temp for when you have 2 bits of meat cooking.

I like to use a rotisserie, so having no wires was a requirement for me.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Any tips on teh best fuel for the kettle? I used my last weber briquittes this week.

Is 'what I get at the supermarket' sufficient?
And what about charcoal versus briquettes?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I’d say it depends on what you are cooking.

For a long low and slow cook I would use briquettes, but good quality ones like your Weber ones. Briquettes are made with an additive to hold all of the sawdust together so cheap ones can give off a bad flavour.

For shorter cooks I would use lumpwood, but again lower quality products can come with very small pieces in which aren’t much use.

In short, briquettes will give a more even temperature (but lower) over a longer time. Lumpwood will burn hotter but quicker.

I would stay clear of the “instant light” bags which are popular in supermarkets. If you haven’t got one, but yourself a chimney starter and you will never have trouble lighting your fuel again.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Any tips on teh best fuel for the kettle? I used my last weber briquittes this week.

Is 'what I get at the supermarket' sufficient?
And what about charcoal versus briquettes?

I've been using Big K cocoshell briquettes from Morissons, seem to be ok. Burn for a long time and temps seem very stable.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Started this at 10am, a 2kg pork shoulder which will be turned into pulled pork sandwiches later this evening.
I also bought a large brisket and halved it, hoping to somehow pull off a passable attempt at burnt ends although strictly speaking I gather it isn't the correct cut.

20200530_102029.jpg

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well the pork was superb, pulled really well and was superb with the slaw and BBQ sauce I made, I'll definitely use that recipe again.
The brisket not so good, once about cooked I chopped it into large chunks and put it back on the BBQ for an hour in a sauce I'd made. Some chunks were a bit fatty and not really falling apart, lesson learned there.
I noticed a large discrepancy in the lid and grill temps when I used my new thermometer, lid was showing 290f ish but probe on the grill bouncing around 225f. I asked on that Facebook group and they recommend using the grill temp, it did make me a tad nervous though.
Another thing I've come across, these American BBQ books I've been looking at, all the sauces and rubs use really extreme amounts of ingredients, the brisket sauce last night was far too overpowering even though I just about followed it word for word, I actually laid way back on the chilli powder as it recommend a crazy amount ?
Any decent books or recipes anyone could recommend which are a smidge more refined?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Well the pork was superb, pulled really well and was superb with the slaw and BBQ sauce I made, I'll definitely use that recipe again.
The brisket not so good, once about cooked I chopped it into large chunks and put it back on the BBQ for an hour in a sauce I'd made. Some chunks were a bit fatty and not really falling apart, lesson learned there.
I noticed a large discrepancy in the lid and grill temps when I used my new thermometer, lid was showing 290f ish but probe on the grill bouncing around 225f. I asked on that Facebook group and they recommend using the grill temp, it did make me a tad nervous though.
Another thing I've come across, these American BBQ books I've been looking at, all the sauces and rubs use really extreme amounts of ingredients, the brisket sauce last night was far too overpowering even though I just about followed it word for word, I actually laid way back on the chilli powder as it recommend a crazy amount ?
Any decent books or recipes anyone could recommend which are a smidge more refined?

I thought I recognised the pic of your chicken on there. Marcus Bowdens food and fire book is well reviewed, but I haven’t got it. I actually don’t have any bbq books, just take inspiration from what people have posted in the Facebook group. Burnt ends is something I am yet to try.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...I also bought a large brisket and halved it, hoping to somehow pull off a passable attempt at burnt ends although strictly speaking I gather it isn't the correct cut.
I'm inclined to think Brisket is a slow-cook cut! BBQ is all about fast cook cuts - at least imo! 1.5" Rib-Eye or even (if you can bear the cost) Fillet!

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm inclined to think Brisket is a slow-cook cut! BBQ is all about fast cook cuts - at least imo! 1.5" Rib-Eye or even (if you can bear the cost) Fillet!

If you speak nicely to your butcher you can get some cracking deals on fillet tails. Not BBQ related but did this recently for a beef stroganoff.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is that sat directly on the coals? Do you not have to spend an agebrushing off ash and charcoal grit?

Straight on mate, just a quick brush after, leave it to rest for 10 minutes (I covered in garlic butter while resting) and all is good.
I must admit I had reservations before I did it but the results were superb. You need to use lumpwood charcoal for reasons I don't yet understand ?