All things BBQ and Braai

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oh my lord, those beef ribs ?
Easily the best thing I've barbecued so far by a stretch, so juicy and meaty. A smidge fatty at one end which didn't really render as much as I'd like but who cares, utterly delicious ?
The cheapo Morrisons pork ribs were a massive hit, far exceeded my expectations. Glad I bought a few more of those to experiment with ?

20210130_213704-01.jpg
20210130_213631-01.jpg

20210130_215818.jpg
20210130_213503-01.jpg

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Oh my lord, those beef ribs ?
Easily the best thing I've barbecued so far by a stretch, so juicy and meaty. A smidge fatty at one end which didn't really render as much as I'd like but who cares, utterly delicious ?
The cheapo Morrisons pork ribs were a massive hit, far exceeded my expectations. Glad I bought a few more of those to experiment with ?

View attachment 34769
View attachment 34770

View attachment 34772
View attachment 34773

how did you cook the beef ribs in the end?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Unwrapped all the way, spritzed with cider vinegar and apple juice every hour once the bark was forming, that's it really. So easy and so delicious.
Got an itch to do some low and slow beef shin now, I think it could be even better ?

You’ve made me order some stuff from John Davidson’s!

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Unwrapped all the way, spritzed with cider vinegar and apple juice every hour once the bark was forming, that's it really. So easy and so delicious.
Got an itch to do some low and slow beef shin now, I think it could be even better ?

I can thoroughly recommend ox cheek if you haven’t already tried it?

Excellent cut for low and slow. Cooks quick (ish) as they are small.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

I did some in the oven a few months ago, they ended up fall apart soft... and my shopping list keeps getting longer :LOL:
The local butcher is sorting me out a bone in pork shoulder for next week, not exactly a pure boston butt but I'll have fun making pulled pork from it (y)

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not BBQ but a massive shout out for those cheap Morissons baby back ribs.
Stuck a couple in the oven last night for a hot and fast cook, finished them with a home made bbq glaze I'd knocked up.
Oh my lord, they were stunning :eek:
I did a rack each for me and the missus along with a jalapeno cornbread and spicy slaw, we couldn't finish it, absolutely stuffed o_O

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ahaaa dropping the K bomb eh :LOL:
It's windy and snowing outside so it's been a washout this weekend for grilling.

I’ve got a covered area that houses the Kamado and Weber - game changer for winter bbq!

I had wanted a kamado for a while but was nervous of the price tag for a green egg or a joe - went for the Aldi one last may. Incredible bargain and an incredible bit of kit. Exceeded expectations ?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ve got a covered area that houses the Kamado and Weber - game changer for winter bbq!

I had wanted a kamado for a while but was nervous of the price tag for a green egg or a joe - went for the Aldi one last may. Incredible bargain and an incredible bit of kit. Exceeded expectations ?

I've got the wood ready for a pergola build over the patio which is where the bbq lives, just need the weather to improve so I can start building it. It's going to be half covered, the place I have planned for the bbq can be both covered or open depending on the weather (y)
Yeah I was gutted I missed that Aldi kamado offer, such a great bargain.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
The pork shoulder was done with a dry rub, bit of a Franklin style rub.

I wasn’t that impressed to be honest, think it was a quality of the meat issue. We have a Morrison’s which I drive past on the way to the golf club, another reason that the courses need to re open. I had a rib joint of beef from there previously and it was really good so think that’s where the meat is going to come from moving forwards unless I’m getting something direct from the butcher.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
The pork shoulder was done with a dry rub, bit of a Franklin style rub.

I wasn’t that impressed to be honest, think it was a quality of the meat issue. We have a Morrison’s which I drive past on the way to the golf club, another reason that the courses need to re open. I had a rib joint of beef from there previously and it was really good so think that’s where the meat is going to come from moving forwards unless I’m getting something direct from the butcher.

How did you do it in the end mate? Temps, wrap etc and of course we need your rub recipe :LOL:
I don't know what it is about meat from Morissons, just seems to look so much fresher. Our local one has a butchers counter so maybe that has something to do with it :unsure:

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
How did you do it in the end mate? Temps, wrap etc and of course we need your rub recipe :LOL:
I don't know what it is about meat from Morissons, just seems to look so much fresher. Our local one has a butchers counter so maybe that has something to do with it :unsure:

Rub recipe was: salt, pepper, garlic, paprika and celery salt. I’ve used this plenty of times so happy with the rub. Temp wise it was 130 until it probed well which was at 98 degrees. I was happy with the process, something just wasn’t quite right.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

I did an ox cheek towards the back end of last year, did it in a slow cooker. Gorgeous. But a butcher mentioned that prices have shot up. What was once a cheap cut is now expensive purely down to the fact it is in demand. Same with brisket, what was once a cheap cut, no more.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I did an ox cheek towards the back end of last year, did it in a slow cooker. Gorgeous. But a butcher mentioned that prices have shot up. What was once a cheap cut is now expensive purely down to the fact it is in demand. Same with brisket, what was once a cheap cut, no more.

About £10 per kilo i think I pay

Does that sound right? Each cheek about 500g.