All things BBQ and Braai

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
About £10 per kilo i think I pay

Does that sound right? Each cheek about 500g.

When I first heard about beef cheeks a couple of years ago. A Pp said he had popped into a butchers on Tuesday and ordered a cheek to be picked up on Thursday After the round. He paid £3 and said it was good size. ? so i suppose going up £2 ain’t gonna rock the bank balance.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did a couple of beef short ribs yesterday on the kamado. Dry brined over night, garlic and pepper rub in the morning them 225f until beautifully tender. Took longer than I thought, about 8 hours, but they came out very well.

This was a first go using ribs picked up from Waitrose, will look and see if my local butcher can get me some more meaty ones for the next go now i know i like them

D

Deleted member 1147

If you put a nice big steak in the bbq do you oil it first or just put it straight in the grill?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Quick heads up, Morissons are currently doing pork really cheap, just picked up two 1.6kg shoulders for £3 each.
May not be top notch quality but a cracking cheap cut to experiment with over the weekend ?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Just done a couple of steaks for me and HID. Cooling off outside after a nice day, so ended up eating inside.

The steaks had been one big steak but I cut it in half, and even then there was too much. Paid €7.30 for it.

Got a couple of huge pork chops for tomorrow. Biggest I've ever had. €1.60 each. I do a honey, soy sauce and chilli marinade for them.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just done a couple of steaks for me and HID. Cooling off outside after a nice day, so ended up eating inside.

The steaks had been one big steak but I cut it in half, and even then there was too much. Paid €7.30 for it.

Got a couple of huge pork chops for tomorrow. Biggest I've ever had. €1.60 each. I do a honey, soy sauce and chilli marinade for them.

You know the rules Brian, pics or it didn't happen ?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Anyone know where I can get a decent porterhouse steak that doesn't cost £80!

price wise I would say Aldi, they do specials on them every year. None in at the moment, when/ if I see them I will put a post on here.

D

Deleted member 21258

Been having bbqs all though this period, gee was it cold last month sitting outside.

Built an oven that looks like a postbox :LOL: and managed to cook a number of items like home made cheese straws, shop bought part cooked ribs, shop bought pizza. Spit roasted duck(a shame but we have to almost fully cook it in an oven inside:() & roasties/sprouts on the barbie. edit whats happenned to the size of these pics:LOL:

1a.jpg

1b.jpg

1c.jpg
1.jpg

Still learning and trying out different methods of cooking the items slower on the burner.

Wish I could think of a way of controlling the heat to slow cook some of the stuff you are cooking on barbies. :unsure: As the meat looks great.

D

Deleted member 21258

Wow that looks immense ?
Have you tried having coals on one side and food on the other? Google indirect heat cooking on a BBQ, or fire pit in your case ?

We are burning on wood from the garden. Last weekend, as it was warmer we did let it die down and there wasnt alot of wood on the meat side, but its still cooking mentally fast. :oops:

Thanks for the tip of what to google, I was kind of running out of ideas, will have a read up tonight on indirect cooking. Sounds good from a quick google just done and hopefully the ticket. Cheers.