Alignment sticks, useful training aid?

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
I suffer from poor alignment at times, especially with my long irons.
Contemplating getting a pair of alignment sticks for my practise sessions to hopefully ingrained correct alignment.

Anybody else use them, and more importantly, are they an important addition to the training kit?

U

User62651

They are helpful yes with feet and target line alignment and takeaway path reference but tbh garden canes do the same job. £4.99 in Sports Direct is all you need spend on them if you do 'need' a pair.

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
Obviously they help! Most pro's and competitive amateurs have them.

Especially Helps to use one for your feet and one a few feet directly in front of your ball, either stuck into ground or lying on ground.
So you can reference the line you want the ball to start on - that will help on the golf course.
When playing you'll pick a spot in front of the ball and set your alignment off that line.

Also helps keep dirt off your grips when used instead of a club on turf.

I stick one in the ground at an angle away from me towards target at about 30 degrees to horizontal - sorting pointing at the target similar to my launch direction and angle. Then try to hit one left of it, one right of it, one straight on it. That's helped me a lot.

But if you are just going to put one by your feet on a driving range matt then just use a club.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I use canes...two - one perp to the other; one for ball position instance - the other for take-away line.

And only started using them when they were used in a lesson to demonstrate what I was dong and what I needed to

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Alignment sticks, useful training aid?

Yes very useful as per the above posts

Additionally, I also like to practice short 3ft putts between 2 'Tour' sticks as it helps ME keep a straighter stroke and improve putting setup/alignment

Worth it for a fiver or a bit more or as maxfli65 mentions you could just use garden canes

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
For alignment checking I have usually set up with my address position, then put a couple of balls down at the end of my shoes. Step away and behind the ball. Generally gives a good indication of alignment.

D

Deleted member 1147

They can be useful for encouraging different swing directions as well. I have too much in-to-out in my swing at times, so I set the sticks such that one is parallel to my feet and the other angled such that it's further away from my right foot than it is from my left foot. This gives a visual reminder to go more out-to-in than before.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
are they an important addition to the training kit?

yep - you won't find many if any Tour Pro's or elite ams that don't use them

see way to many index players that don't

also see most issues many index players have with their games/swings is for sure over a bunch of stuff out of whack starting at set-up grip hold/alignments/ball position/posture - before any motion is made

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have always just used clubs and it is best to have 3 and not two.

One for foot alignment, one for ball alignment and the third for ball position.