Alignment issues, I cant aim to save my life

Mark_G

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
One of the things that came out of my recent round with my golf pro was my complete inability to aim straight. I had noticed that a lot of shots went to the right, and it seems my feet position aims way off to the right. Is there a technique I can use to improve my aim?

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
you could try an aim club across your feet while you practice.

Place a club pointing directly to the target and place your ball at the end. Then place a club parallel to that club (however far away you normally stand). Remove the other club and hit balls to the target.

A handy image to have in mind is a train track. one track for the ball and one for your feet heading towards the target.

Mark_G

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I am doing this whilst on the range and getting my alignment right 90% of the time, but for some reason when I get on the course I completely fail to align myself. I even used an old divot mark lined up with the tee to use to align my feet.

feary

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Have you tried plumb bobbing? Pick something close to you on the ground infront in line with where you want to aim. Then just align yourself to that.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
2 ways.
Buy one of these :)

Aim1.jpg

Or if you just use a shaft, position it so you know you are aiming straight i.e parallel with the ball to target line then here's what you do.
Turn your head so you you are looking at the target (dont stand up or lean, just turn your head).
As you look at your target, out of the corner of your eye, you will see your left shoulder (right handers. Momorize the distance between the two.
Then set up again and check if the gap between the target and your shoulder is the same. If it is, you're pointing straight. If the gap is too big, you're aiming too far left etc etc.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
2 ways.
Buy one of these :)

Aim1.jpg

Or if you just use a shaft, position it so you know you are aiming straight i.e parallel with the ball to target line then here's what you do.
Turn your head so you you are looking at the target (dont stand up or lean, just turn your head).
As you look at your target, out of the corner of your eye, you will see your left shoulder (right handers. Momorize the distance between the two.
Then set up again and check if the gap between the target and your shoulder is the same. If it is, you're pointing straight. If the gap is too big, you're aiming too far left etc etc.

Where can you get those red arrows from Bob ? :D :D :D

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
When you are on the course, do you line up the club first?

I must admit I rarely do but I have been told in the past to use a pre hit routine :

1) Stand behind the ball and choose the club
2) Stand behind the ball with said club and choose the direction, picking out a small target a short way in front of the ball at the same time.
3) Move to the side of the ball, grip the handle of the club lightly with two fingers, and line it up with the near target.
4) Stand with your feet together parallel to the line, then place your left hand on the grip. Then add your right.
5) Check you're aligned up right by turning your head ( no body movement )
6) Then move your left foot a few inches left, and your right foot back to give you a shoulder width stance.
7) Then just hit the blody thing.

:D

Simples

I does sort of work, but tbh, given the amount I play I have lapsed from it, and I just walk up to the ball and hit it nowadays.

But then, I have huge alignment problems some days as well.

:(

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I suffer the same problem. I know my alignment is out, I too set up with my feet aimed well to the right, it just seems "natural" to me and no matter how much I tell myself to square up, a final little shuffle just prior to hitting the ball sees me bringing my left foot inwards slightly.
My only remedy is to try to get the clubface aiming exactly where I want to go (straight down the middle) and square up to that. But inevetably, that little shuffle rears it's ugly head again.
:( :( :(

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I would also say you dont have to aim straight to hit it straight.
If for example your swing is a little out to in and you aim right, your swing is now straight. :)

Mark_G

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thank you for all your advice, after a trully terrible round on Sunday, I have just come home from one of the best and most rewarding rounds I have had. I decided to be 110% positive in my attitude, and set myself up properly using the tips you have said. What a difference. Thanks guys.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would also say you dont have to aim straight to hit it straight.
If for example your swing is a little out to in and you aim right, your swing is now straight. :)

This can also be one of my problems, I think I'm aiming for the target but ends up 30yds right. Last night inhad a practice round on the front nine very mixed results some wonderful shots, some pants. On the back nine I really concentrated on alignment and swing, wow what a difference, after setting up, dropped the club across my feet, well out. After adjusting played one of the best nines if my life, the bad shots were mostly down to me aiming right although they did go mostly straight.

Sorry turned into a brain dump!