Alignment - Any tips?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
As per thread title really.

Last lesson highlighted that although I feel like I'm aiming at my intended target, I'm actually aiming to the right of it.

So much so my toe line is aimed at the target with the ball-to-target line just to the right of target.

I've started to set up a' la' Jimenez with the club behind the ball pointing to target and then aligning my body to the club face which has helped.

Do you guys have any tip/tricks/hints to help with alignment?

Fanks in advance :D

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Any good at trigonometry?

If both your club and your feet are pointing at the flag, then you can make a long thin right angled triangle with the short side being the distance from your feet line to the ball.

400px-Right_skinny_triangle.svg.png

So, guessing at some numbers:

Feet to flag (h) = 300' (100yds)
Feet to ball (b) = 2'

The angle θ (the mount the club is pointing in the wrong direction) = tan[SUP]-1[/SUP](2/300) = 0.38°

It's roughly the angle the minute hand on a clock moves through in 4 seconds.

In my swing at least, just over a third of a degree offline at address would be the least of my worries! :D

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
I read an article regarding alignment recently which mentioned range mats can hurt your alignment as you feel aligned when everything is parallel to the mat but your target is slightly left or right. They suggested an alignment stick (or long iron) pointed just left of the target to get you aligned properly then hit a few shots, remove the stick and hit a few shots, then set up to a target put the stick across your feet and walk behind to check you are pointed at the target. I think it was Westwood and Pete Cowen who suggested doing this once per session and your natural alignment will gradually improve.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Looking at it another way, if your feet are 500mm apart (just under 20") then at 100yds you only need to move one foot forwards or backwards by 3.3mm to change the correct foot line (parallel to target line) to the wrong one (feet aiming at target).

Kudos to anyone who can judge that.

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have the same problem, after reading the recent thread on here about using a club to align yourself I shall now be doing this until I begin to align myself correctly. So basically stick a club on the floor, align yourself with that and then move it before you play. Alignment made easy.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have the same problem, after reading the recent thread on here about using a club to align yourself I shall now be doing this until I begin to align myself correctly. So basically stick a club on the floor, align yourself with that and then move it before you play. Alignment made easy.

Personally, I think that would be a right pain an the jacksie before every shot. Especially for your playing partner(s).

I prefer the Jimmy Ness approach in my OP :thup:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Look at 2 points of grass/earth etc in a line towards where I want to aim

Aim club along that line, then align feet at right angles to the leading edge.

That should be you parallel left of where you are aiming.

p.s its usually good golfers who end up with feet aiming right of target....so I'm told:whistle:

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Personally, I think that would be a right pain an the jacksie before every shot. Especially for your playing partner(s).

I prefer the Jimmy Ness approach in my OP :thup:

But you could do this whilst playing partners are taking their shot?

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
I was taught to stand behind the ball and visualise a direct line from the ball to the target, then pick a mark/different colour blade of grass, etc about 9 inches directly in front of the ball on that line, then line up the club face to be square against that mark and concentrate on hitting the ball over that mark.

Same with putter.