Aldila RIP Stiff shaft anyone?

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Specifically in the Titleist 910 driver....

Anyone use this shaft and have any thoughts?

I didn't get the chance to hit with it at my fitting but about 99% of people I come across with a 910 driver have this shaft in it.

I have a Diamana Kal'i stiff shaft in mine, what would be the difference?

You can pick up an RIP fairly cheaply so am considering getting one to try it but wondering what the differences are.

Thanks

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The RIP in the 910 is a real one, so is a stronger shaft than some of the RIPs seen in other brands, which are 'made for' versions.

RIP is a low spin low launch shaft. Ka'ali is a medium-high spin and launch shaft and will also play somewhat softer than the RIP. Some people find the RIP a bit too much shaft to handle effectively (likewise with the Project X in the 910s).

They are really very different, so I would not recommend trading from one to the other unless you find the Ka'ali too high launching and/or too stiff.

But if you can pick up the shaft pretty cheaply you could have a punt and if it doesn't work, ebay it.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks Ethan,

As ever your shaft knowledge is very useful!

If I can get one cheap I may give it a go, the advantage of these adjustable drivers I suppose......

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i'd be interested in this to, i have a 910 with a diamana ilima stiff

i think the rip might be over specced for me, i can only carry 250 yards max (normally less) with a driver

interested to hear people's thoughts

beck9965

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi NWJ,

I was fitted with the RIP 60 stiff when i got my 910, it was recommended as i wanted a mid to low ball flight, my home course is rather windy at times and wanted to keep the ball from ballooning up and my then current driver shaft gave too much backspin hence i was not getting any roll on my shots, overall i'm very happy with my setup as i'm now getting a mid ball flight with low spin and extra carry, i play off of 19.5 and i'm hitting it further than i ever have in the past much to the disgust to some of the lower handicaps at my home course.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks Beck,

Similar to me in that my place is always windy and anything with less spin/lower launch is always welcome.

I think I will try to pick one up and see.

timchump - when i got fitted (and no waggling intended!) my average carry was about 270. Not sure if that is accurate as I don't measure my drives etc but I'm not a short hitter, that said I'm not a huge hitter either.

Just be interesting to see the difference as my fitting was through GM so wasn't a specific find the best shaft fitting more the best out of a selection that were already made up (R11, Burner, Callaway etc).

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I Utterly love this shaft. I have it in my 910 D2.
There are a few guys at my club who also have this shaft. Both very good drivers but struggle to get any height off the tee with it. You do have to be aggresive with it to get the ball up.
I bought it with this shaft as my flight tends to make the ball rise with eventual ballooning and fall from the sky. It has stopped the ballooning but I still get the rising fleight that I like. Very very impressed with the 910 head and RIP shaft set up.

I did try this shaft in a Razr Hawk but it just didnt feel right. The Launch was far too high.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have one in the boot of my car. It is very light, way too light for me. I hit it fine, but I have no feel of control with it.

The kai'li shaft gave silly spin for me. Went like a seven iron. Huge difference between that and the rip.

beck9965

Head Pro
Visit site
I have one in the boot of my car. It is very light, way too light for me. I hit it fine, but I have no feel of control with it.

The kai'li shaft gave silly spin for me. Went like a seven iron. Huge difference between that and the rip.

Murph is yours the 60 or 70 alpha?

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site

What shaft do you use in yours then Murph?

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Tried the stiff RIP shaft in a D2 9.5 and was too low a flight for me. Very penetrating but was losing close to 15 yards with it. Tried the regular RIP shaft in my Razr Hawk and it just felt right, good ball flight and distance.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
What shaft do you use in yours then Murph?

Fujikura motore f1 75 stiff. Probably completely the wrong shaft for my pedestrian swing speed, heavy as heck, but I just feel more connected to it.

The rip is fine, I hit it quite high (mainly due to back spin), but I lose a lot right. The motore is a better fit for me. Plus I have this shaft in my 4w and hybrid already.

I won't sell the rip, as I like to swap it in every now and then, just to remind me why I don't like it.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Specifically in the Titleist 910 driver....

Anyone use this shaft and have any thoughts?

I didn't get the chance to hit with it at my fitting but about 99% of people I come across with a 910 driver have this shaft in it.

I have a Diamana Kal'i stiff shaft in mine, what would be the difference?

You can pick up an RIP fairly cheaply so am considering getting one to try it but wondering what the differences are.

Thanks

I've just picked up a 910 D2 with a RIP shaft and had my first round Sunday with it. Drove the ball really well, 38 pts and would have been better had the flat stick behaved itself.

Its only 1 full round with it so far and things can quickly change as we all know but things are looking very encouraging. I hit my burner quite well before but inconsistent with it, too much variation and more often than not a high fade and not enough penetration.

I recommend that you give it a go and you dont have much to lose because you can always sell the shaft on if its not for you.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've just picked up a 910 D2 with a RIP shaft and had my first round Sunday with it. Drove the ball really well, 38 pts and would have been better had the flat stick behaved itself.

Its only 1 full round with it so far and things can quickly change as we all know but things are looking very encouraging. I hit my burner quite well before but inconsistent with it, too much variation and more often than not a high fade and not enough penetration.

I recommend that you give it a go and you dont have much to lose because you can always sell the shaft on if its not for you.

Thanks for this sawtooth.

I'm definitely going to try and get one cheapish so I can have a play around with it over the winter and maybe even go to the range and compare them.....

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is very useful. I had a bash yesterday with a D3 with the RIP 60 shaft and found it excellent, better than the Diamana ones. I like to *** it a bit so the RIP seems to suit. The next step is know whether I get the 60, 70 or even the 80?

I kinda like to try all without paying for a custom fit but I think that won't be possible....?