AIG Womens Open

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
How do you work that out?

The top women are playing Muirfield at ~6600 yards. Plenty scoring below par in 30 mph gusts.

Look at the Course Ratings for the Blue Tees , which are exactly the same yards for the Men & Female, but 6 shots difference, so Men & Women shooting the same score would have a 6 handicap Index difference

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-07-24 at 8.35.31 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-07-24 at 8.35.31 PM.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 7

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
I'm not especially interested in trying to make comparisons - was only interested to know how low their indexes were. At +5 or better it sounds pretty good to me.
It wouldn't surprise me if the Top Women were +8 or better, but if you take an average Tour Pro player in the Mens game is +4.2, and the No.1 in the world is +6 point something, that to me says the Average Womens tour player is around the +1 to 2 mark

D-S

Visit site
It wouldn't surprise me if the Top Women were +8 or better, but if you take an average Tour Pro player in the Mens game is +4.2, and the No.1 in the world is +6 point something, that to me says the Average Womens tour player is around the +1 to 2 mark
Is the average tour player really only +4.2 under WHS? We had four players in last year’s Carris Trophy at our club at +7 and i don‘t think they could make it on tour (they were all under 18).

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
Is the average tour player really only +4.2 under WHS? We had four players in last year’s Carris Trophy at our club at +7 and i don‘t think they could make it on tour (they were all under 18).
Sorry just re-googled it and a survey found an average PGA Tour Pro would be +5.4, I did my own experiment back in 2020 when Dustin Johnson had a great 5 tournament run, which included his Masters win and he come out at +8.1, Are you sure they were +7's

D-S

Visit site
Sorry just re-googled it and a survey found an average PGA Tour Pro would be +5.4, I did my own experiment back in 2020 when Dustin Johnson had a great 5 tournament run, which included his Masters win and he come out at +8.1, Are you sure they were +7's
Yes - the ballot was at plus 1.6 and these were mainly only GB&I players as due to Covid the Europeans were not able to come, I assume that would make the ballot level even higher as they normally have 20 or more nations represented.
For info we have 8 players in Gloucestershire alone at plus 4.2 or better with the best at plus 6.2.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
How do you work that out?

The top women are playing Muirfield at ~6600 yards. Plenty scoring below par in 30 mph gusts.
If that's the case, they are playing pretty much off the normal Men's tees.
It's still surprising how far they hit irons. 16th hole 172yds and they are hitting 8 irons, albeit aiming to land it short as not a hole to be past the pin.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's still surprising how far they hit irons. 16th hole 172yds and they are hitting 8 irons, albeit aiming to land it short as not a hole to be past the pin.
The sign on that hole said 160 yards. I watched a few groups yesterday and they all looked to be hitting 8 (curved top edge).
Cracking and tricky par 3.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Anyway, back to the golf - Buhai & Sagstrom played pretty well today. Still, it's anyone's game at the mo - but wouldn't be surprised if Inbee Park takes it.
Indeed, Park is playing sneakily well. Lydia Ko blew her chances on 18 today, though there hasn't been the 'sparkle' to her game that happens when she 'dominates'.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The sign on that hole said 160 yards. I watched a few groups yesterday and they all looked to be hitting 8 (curved top edge).
Cracking and tricky par 3.
Indeed cracking Par 3. Uphill to raised green, as are several others. Broadcast showed 172 yards. There are no weak holes on the course, though a few, like 2, where proper placement of tee shot can set up birdie opportunities. Mostly though it's a course where good 'defensive' play, at least off the tee, is rewarded more than good 'offensive' play.

sunshine

Visit site

When I went to the Women’s Open at Woburn a few years ago I noticed they were mainly playing from the yellow tees, with a couple of holes off the reds.

sunshine

Visit site

Maybe because Dustin Johnson was playing courses set up for tournament play, so much more tricky than the standard course rating?
Also, WHS doesn’t really capture the range of difficulty in courses. Seems to be mainly based on length and doesn’t adjust enough for courses with really tricky greens. Fast greens and tucked pins is usually the main course protection on tour.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Meghan MacLaren from our club turned pro on +5.
The six amateur ladies representing England playing in the recent European Team Championship (so the top 6 in the country) all had HIs of between +4.2 to +6.3.

The lowest HI in that Championship was a Swedish girl who was off +8.4, plus Louise Duncan turned pro last month when off +4.9…she is currently doing ok in the Ladies British Open.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Lady at our place is +3 and turned Pro when she was +4 under old system and only lasted one year on tour .

The life of a touring Pro golfer is pretty dire without some sort of breakthrough or sizable funding - especially for Ladies.

I was thinking similar to this; the pro game "lifestyle" just doesn't suit some people; was it the golf itself or the travel & other associated stuff that did for her?