Advice...

stanny2k

Medal Winner
Visit site
Just got home from golf.

Walked off the course on the 14th hole...

All started on the 4th hole when I hit my 5 wood, completed missed the ball & clubbed it straight into the ground, snap goes the club, shards of fiberglass in my hands & eyes. Completed deflated me, seeing my £70 5 wood, snap like I piece of wood.

Hit 1 fairway on 13 holes. Almost walked into the club house & asked the woman to cancel my membership.

Im so cheesed off right now that I'm 50/50 about sticking all my gear on eBay.

Supposed to be playing Saturday, but dont know what to do. I really want to quit the game, but yet I feel I'm just going to have wasted the last 8 months. Huff. I dont know.

Something I keep thinking about it, Rory McIlroy at the Masters, he must have felt about a billion times worse than I do.

So annoying.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I know it sounds really smug after what you went through, but, its after days like that, that you really appreciate the good ones!

I have just had 3 outing that were very poor and then, yesterday, shot a gross 75(nett 64) it made all the bad ones a distant memory!

Keep plugging away and the bad ones get less frequent and the good ones more often - thats shots as well as rounds.

Chris

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Get a lesson. Obviously a huge fundamental gone wrong somewhere in the swing. 30 minutes with a pro may not fix all the problems (that's what block lessons are for) but at least you'll be able to put club on ball again.

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
I have had days like that in the past. Short term forget about golf and have a good nights sleep. Dont touch a club tomorrow and don't think about golf until last thing at night. Convince yourself Saturday is a new day and your swing will be much much better. Go to sleep with a smile on your face and wake up Saturday confident and ready to play.

Then get a lesson booked Sunday :D

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Totally agree with Homer here. I had a bad run just like yourself a couple of years back, couldn't wait until the next lesson came around turned out I was standing far to close to the ball after that not had any real major problems. Go see your Pro and he/she should be able to spot pretty quickly what is going wrong. Mine spotted it after the first shot so you never know it could be a quick fix. Ask them if they have 10 minutes to spare if you can't get a lesson in before you next play most will gladly take a quick look. Don't give up it does get better trust me!!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Relax. It isn't like you were about to win your first major and had an 80 in the last round. everybody has rounds where they couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo. You'll get over it.

Couldnt agree more - new clubs and gear dont fix old faults.
Sorry to hear about the 5 wood but i would definately go and have a lesson or two. Go back to the basics - grip posture alingment and plane and I bet tonight will seem like a bad dream in a few weeks.

Stick with it - it does get better

stanny2k

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks alot for the advice guys. Im taking a day off work tomorrow & the £90 I loose for not going to work, I'm going to add another £30 & get a lesson.

Please dont tell my boss ;-)

This is really starting to get to me.

Such inspiring advise there. I hit an 87 (which is LOW for my HC) 3 weeks ago. Ever since then, 98, 107, 117, and today was 91 on the 14th... Snowballing out of control.

I will be back.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you have shot an 87 the ability to post a decent score is clearly there. I'm sure your woes will be a simple fault that has crept in. Hope the lesson goes well and it sorts you out. Try and get some drills to work on as well when the fault has been identified as this will stop it creeping back in.

Visit site
Totally agree with Homer here. I had a bad run just like yourself a couple of years back, couldn't wait until the next lesson came around turned out I was standing far to close to the ball after that not had any real major problems. Go see your Pro and he/she should be able to spot pretty quickly what is going wrong. Mine spotted it after the first shot so you never know it could be a quick fix. Ask them if they have 10 minutes to spare if you can't get a lesson in before you next play most will gladly take a quick look. Don't give up it does get better trust me!!

just wanna say thank you so much for the great advice and hope we can use it

stanny2k

Medal Winner
Visit site
Is it possible to replace my 5 wood shaft?
Could be a blessing this, as I've been thinking about buying one with a stiffer shaft...

If it is possible, can i just buy any 5 wood shaftf

Thanks

EDIT: Ok it looks like it is possible. Seems like you need blow torches n stuff! I think I'll find a dealer!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If it makes you feel any better, I played with a mate last night, playing off an 11 h/cap who had 6 points stableford over 13 holes. This sort of thing can happen to any one.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Let the Pro have a look at your swing and get him to recommend a shaft for you if you buy it from him he might even fit it you for free especially if you have just had a lesson worth asking you never know.

stanny2k

Medal Winner
Visit site
Well "tomorrow" has been & gone. Didnt take my driver out the bag, borrowed a 3 wood off my old man.

Instead of walloping at the ball, I took a swing so my arms were about 9 o clock, hit the ball bang straight everytime. Landed on 14 out of 18 fairways (the other 4 were par 3's). Distance, 150-180 yards. Only problem was, got so happy about hitting fairways, the rest of my game went to pot. Leaving puts silly short & irons all over the shop.

Anyways, least the driving is straight, not going to worry about distance to much until I've seen a Pro. Not got chance to book a lesson yet, but I'm off for these 11 days next week, so I'll fit something in then I think!

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Glad you have found some form. I had a mixed bag yesterday. My driving,Bunker,Chipping,Putting was as good as it's ever been however once I had found the fairway I could not hit an iron shot correctly all types of wretched shot was happening so it happens to us all. Go see a Pro when you get chance and you will get some drills to work on.Stick at it it will get better