Advice on Trolleys

markwarne

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Am finally succumbing to the fact that my carry bag is becoming too heavy and not really wanting to pull it round on a unpowered trolley, I am looking to buy an electric trolley and would appreciate any advice that anyone can offer up.

Obviously value for money is a big factor, as is you get what you pay for. I am not bothered about something that looks like it has just come out of a Ferrari dealers, but am not wanting to get mugged off with something that is not good for the job.

Looking at all the likely suspects - Powakaddy, Motocaddy, Hill Billy. Does anyone have any advice on what to look at in more detail, and more importantly what to stay away from.

Also, has anybody picked up anywhere to get a good trolley at cheaper prices - I have been through the American Golfs, Nevada Bob's, small independents, etc. The internet offers a whole range of suppliers, and leaves me confused.

All advice greatfully received. Cheers.

cm_qs

Head Pro
Visit site
The Motocaddy s3 Digital - with distance dontrol, distance measurement, temperature gauge , clock, minibar and cuddly toy.

£350 quids - Value for money? - almost certainly not! :(

The dog's bol**cks? - Absolutely. :D

The best golf purchase i've made for years? - I think so! ;)

Makes you look like a poncy show off and is perhaps " a bit w*nky"? :eek: - Allegedly, but I don't care ( as discussed exhaustively in a previous thread)

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I saw some ex demo S1's or used for £170 on golfbidder, also they had second hand trolleys with new bat & charger for discount.

http://www.motocaddy.com/pre_owned_website?partner=1274&leadsource=5

Pre owned S1 FROM £170
Ex Demo S1 From £200
Ex Demo S3 from £280

The Motocaddy S1 Ex-Demo trolleys have been traded in with us and are in great condition. They may have minor scratches but are the best condition pre-owned trolleys that we have. We give all of them a full service and clean and fit a brand new motor, brand new battery and charger. Prices start at £199.99 with an 18 hole battery and £209.99 with 27 hole battery.

Specifications:

Dual handle and Dual Speed Controllers catering for left and right handed golfers
“On-Off” rocker switch - allowing the user to keep their favourite speed selected and operate the cart by simply using this switch
Lightweight and very sturdy aerospace grade aluminium frame (only 7.6kg!)
Quick Release Wheels
Powerful and highly efficient 200W motor
Includes New low profile 12V 18Ah or 26Ah Battery by Power Batteries (18 or 27 holes)
Convenient Torberry lead connection
Includes Slimline 3A Charger - stops charging when the battery is full to protect battery
Weight: Only 7.6kg (without battery)
Comprehensive 6 month warranty

I am thinking about the S1 pre owned for that price, the 27 hole s1 Only: £209.99 (Incl. VAT) inc new

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
powakaddy highway- powakaddy reliability at the budget end meaning it is perfect for someone who want a no frills hassle free trolley to carry their clubs round for them. Suits me perfectly. Got mine in January for £180 which was an absolute bargain and I have had no problems what so ever.

The only slight issue I have is that powakaddy accessories such as scorecard holder or umbrella holder are only sold to fit the other models not the highway, however I am sure that they would work on it anyway I just haven't got round to checking.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
got my powerbug on ebay - ex-demo, with 26Ah battery & charger - £87 (it was local so even avoided postage). a few scratches but otherwise seems fine, but of course no guarantee; it easily does 27 with no sign of the battery fading (though my course is flat). (this is the first thing I have bought on ebay)

the powerbug sport X is almost identical to the motocaddy S1,

lots of trolleys on ebay, some new, some wanting silly money so check first.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
My vote would be to buy a GoKart. The trolley is superb, light folds up small but has plenty of power. The big selling point, however, is the customer service. You really need to experience it to see how good it is. Have a problem, they send you a new one with no quibbles. Need a repair, they pick it up, give you a loaner and bring it back. If they upgrade any of the design they ask if you want them to pick yours up, upgrade it for free and bring it back to you. Do not like it after a month, get a full refund.

Most recent example was 3 weeks ago. I sent Sandy at GoKart an email about the cost of buying a new battery, the response was a brand new battery on my doorstep within 24 hours free of charge because she felt that my old one should have lasted longer. Never asked for a freebie, she simply decided sending me one was the right thing to do.

They reply to emails in minutes not days and if you talk to them you really can appreaciate that they are golf fanatics. Plus most of the designers were the original designers at Powakaddy or Hillbilly, cannot recall which.

Before anyone asks, no I do not work for them but their customer services means I am happy to plug them at any chance, it really is world class in any industry and not just golf.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
GB72

Considering one of these for myself. You'd rate them them? It's just I've never seen one at the golf club.

Looking at their website, it appears that they have updated the main wheels, ie given them some tread, and redesigned the front bag support. Both of which are free, yes free upgrades on existing GoKarts.

Got to admit that reading their web site is refreshing. They don't rip you off with the prices of accesories, and seem to have a banter like relationship with their customers.

Not sure how they run a profitable biz, (probably because they don't sell them through shops, and therefore can cut out the retiler margin, which would make them nearer £300) but for £200 they represent really good value.

Second hand ones on ebay seem to fetch in excess of £130 plus £30 postage on top of that, that's when they appear on there, which is rare.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I love my S1 motocaddy & the first addition can still be found at a good price, looks good, goes well. Style at a value for money price whether you have the same versionof the S1 as myself, or pay a little extra for the new S1 digital, with a couple of extra bells'n'whistles & some natty improvements too, some better ideasthan others.

However I will say there are plenty of good powered carts out ther & its probably hard to find a bad one.

my other half has a real cheap powered cart I bought her from a local DIY store at less than a tonne & it goes extremely well & the minute battery seems to go on for absolutely ever. tbh, it looks ugly but does the jobas well as any cart of its type.

My parents use Hillbilly carts, which although I'm not keen on the dated looks, though again, they are extremely good units.

A mate of mine uses a nice lookiing cart that didn't cost him much. Can't remember what its called, but looks good & his battery lasts very well indeed.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I got the new HillBilly Terrain for my birthday a couple of weeks ago - looks are very similar to the S1 and I think its great. the motor seems powerful enough and the battery seems to last for ever. Not too many bells and whistles with it but then there's less to go wrong.

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Before splashing the cash, think long and hard about what exactly you require.
If you play on a very regular basis throughout the year then go for a well known make as mentioned above, ie Motocaddy S1, S3. Go Kart, strange looking but reliable as hell and well backed by after sales service. Powakaddy - the Volvo of golf trolleys.

Personally I own and use one of the Chinese trolleys like the ones you see on ebay. I bought mine for £80 from a member at my club. Virtually brand new and still in the box.
Suits my requirements completely.
OK, it doesn't have the build quality of the ones mentioned above, but it does the job for me.

TWM

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I got a GoCart. £199 delivered and many people admire it.
I goes like a train.
Check out gocart.co.uk

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree, Haplesshacker, not many on my course but think that is because our pro shop is an official Powakaddy retailer and repairer (and there appears to be at least one in with a problem every time I go in). That said, first time I took my one up there I had all 3 pros taking it for a spin and they all agreed that they are not often impressed by a bit of kit but the GoKart did impress them and they all went off to look at the web site.

There is no real gamble with one though as they do follow through with their 30 day guarantee and will simply pick it up and refund if you do not like it.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
I paid £99 for my easycaddy and cant fault it to be honest. The 18-Hole battery does 36 at my place without fading so chuffed for that money.

A mate of mine has a gokart and it is fantastic thats for sure, if/when mine expires I will be grabbing one of those.

markwarne

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the advice chaps.

It looks as though the GoKart gets the overall seal of approval. Have checked out the website and it does seem like a breath of fresh air. If they are as good as they say they are, then it will be £200 well spent.

andycap

Head Pro
Visit site
I know someone who will be happy with your choice . A new member registered the other day , named sandy, none other than the company director for Go Kart whom GB72 rightly praises highly . Come out Sandy stop lurking many times in the past your company has been commended on here for its after sales service . I for one would have certainly purchased a Go Kart based on forum recommendation had i not already owned a Hillbilly( that i am very happy with) ;)

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've seen the light!!

If I can avoid buying any clubs for a while, I'm going to get me a powered kart.....

I just need to set a date......I'm thinking when we come off winter mats (not that we're even on them for ages!!)

jeffc

Head Pro
Visit site
I know you say the bag is getting too heavy but what's wrong with a pull trolley?
Part of the reason I play golf is for the exercise and would never consider an electric trolley, I just use a pull trolley.

Just my opinion

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Pull trolleys twist the back and can cause damage. Push trolleys are decent, but since going to all that effort you might as well pop on a battery and save energy ;)