Advice on short putts please..

BushFinder

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So frustrated....
Played a match yesterday, 1st round of one of the summer knockout comps.

Just could not hole anything from inside 4ft!!
Was fine from outside this distance, but this really let me down, throughout the entire round!
Was ether 1,2 or 3 down the whole way through, then 3 down with 4 to play ,I win 3 holes in a row to level it going up 18.
I had momentum, I could feel it.
Both had 30 feet for birdie, he leaves his about 6ft short, I lip out and leave myself 3ft.
He cans his and.................

Any tips or advice?

Thanks
BushFinder

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you mark your ball with a line to use whilst putting? if not invest in one of the many available ball marking devises then line the balls mark up with the line you want to start the ball on keep your head still and putt through this line and wait to hear the ball land in the hole before looking up. You should find a marked improvement in your short putting stats using this method.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Take stance and straighten up a little and take two practice putts above the ball, get a good minds eye of the line and judge whether that is where you want to put the ball, if not, adjust, one more practice stroke to set the mind and putt the ball, takes 5 secs.

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No advice from me atm. I really am struggling to get that thing in the hole from most places on the green and more so from very short range.

I'm just waiting for the chance to get on the practise putting green and smooth things out.

Get yourself on the putting green and get some practise of just rolling that thing in. The pros are pretty good at it but they do practise that a fair bit so without doing that yourself you shouldn't expect to hole them all the time.

Sounds like you may have a slight issue with your thought process with regards to these putts too.
I know that well.
Get yourself an audio book of Bob Rotellas 'Putting out of your mind' for when you practise. It'll give you a better and fresh look on things.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Forget your stroke. Put all your energy into the direction of the FACE. Practice on the green starting 1 foot from the hole, then moving backwards 6" at a time. Do not manipulate the face at all....you'll soon discover it you are leaving it open or closing it.
Either that or borrow a putting rail.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
If everything else is right ( stance, eyes over the ball, short backswing, accelerate through the putt, etc ) then try hitting the ball slightly on the up, to get that little extra topspin on it.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Do you mark your ball with a line to use whilst putting? if not invest in one of the many available ball marking devises then line the balls mark up with the line you want to start the ball on keep your head still and putt through this line and wait to hear the ball land in the hole before looking up. You should find a marked improvement in your short putting stats using this method.

What Drawboy said. Works every time.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I went through a stage of missing short putts. Even putts that I would have thought were "gimmies" could easily be missed, more often than not I'd pull them left. My mates soon realised this and I found I was being given less and less short putts!
Then one of them said that I was opening my left shoulder instead of staying nice and steady. I now stand over them telling myself not to do it. It's my last "pre shot thought" and I am finding that my old confidence is coming back.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Nah. Only a man with too much money would think that would help :)
I tell you what. If you can teach me how to hook a ball into a lake on the right , I'll help your putting woes :D

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Now, I know you're probably at work and you're very busy and you haven't got a putter behind your office door and the boss is off sick, so don't try this..........
Have a few putts but keep your lower half still, knees especially.
Your lower half turns to the left through the stroke which affects your shoulders helping you to miss left.
God knows how you hole any putts :D :D :D

Ignore the V-Easy but watch this guy's lower half. Awesome :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOnTFoY-VX8