Advice on Fitness needed.

Chopper007

Hacker
Visit site
Hi guys,

I know this has probably been asked before on the forum so I apologise if it has. Im looking for some advice on getting fit for Golf. Just wanted to see what some of you guys do. Like most people I work Monday-Friday 8am to 6pm, mainly travelling around in a car. Since Ive started this I can start to see a few pounds pile on. Im not over over weight but need to start something soon.

I suppose more than anything its trying to convince myself to get up and do some excercise after I get home, but I make a big mistake I sit down with a cuppa and Im there for the evening. I know that has to change. Im not one for the gym, it seems when I go there after work its 8pm-9pm when Im getting home and my partner is not to happy. So is there any little tips or suggestions you guys do to get 20-30mins of excercise a day. I know for a fact my golf will improve but 18-36 holes at the weekend is not enough excercise for me.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Fitness is not rocket science......eat less and exercise more.

If you have to 'get fit' for a game of golf you are starting from a pretty low base.

I would measure out a mile walk from your house and walk it briskly every night for 10 days, it will take you about 20 minutes.
After 10 days up it to two miles.
After 10 days up it to three miles
After 10 days up it to four miles.

No cost, an hour a day max.
Eat and drink in moderation.

All that is required from you is a miniscule of commitment.

John

Club Champion
Visit site
I started running nearly 2 years ago. Was a full time smoker then too. If you can handle getting up about 45 minutes earlier 3 times a week to get out for a 20/30minute run the weight will fall off. Plus you'll have more energy.

Winter isn't the easiest time to start this kind of thing but I used a couch to 5k app first and then went from there. It's surprising how quickly you go from knackered after 30 seconds to running half marathons. I never thought I'd be into running but I'm so glad I started.

When I came back to golf last year carrying a bag around 18 holes wasn't any kind of struggle, you definitely feel the benefits.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi guys,

I know this has probably been asked before on the forum so I apologise if it has. Im looking for some advice on getting fit for Golf. Just wanted to see what some of you guys do. Like most people I work Monday-Friday 8am to 6pm, mainly travelling around in a car. Since Ive started this I can start to see a few pounds pile on. Im not over over weight but need to start something soon.

I suppose more than anything its trying to convince myself to get up and do some excercise after I get home, but I make a big mistake I sit down with a cuppa and Im there for the evening. I know that has to change. Im not one for the gym, it seems when I go there after work its 8pm-9pm when Im getting home and my partner is not to happy. So is there any little tips or suggestions you guys do to get 20-30mins of excercise a day. I know for a fact my golf will improve but 18-36 holes at the weekend is not enough excercise for me.

There's a french bio mechanics guy who has some interesting stuff to say that's not so much all to do with fitness per se, although he does cover it along with flexibility have a look at him, Jean Jacques Rivet. Also have a look at Kai Fusser for fitness for golf.

Last edited:

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sitting down after work is a killer for everybody, getting back up to do some big. Energetic is a nightmare. If your main goal is to shift the beer belly, there's no substitute for running IMO, it's the king of all exercises, 20-30 mins run at 11/12 minute miles 3/4 times a week and watch what you eat the weight will drop of. After 3 weeks you will see a big change physically. And within your 20-30 mins 3 miles is good target.
Next, for me being a former boxer I love skipping, you can do this at home/garage and 20-30 mins of that is also great, do 3 minutes then 1 minute break for half an hour,
Both are almost free! Could have warmed up, trained and showered for 7pm.
Actual fitness for golf would be a bit more time consuming as it generally isn't really designed for losing weight, more about core exercises/stretching/flexibility.
Have a google of Joey diovisali- no sure if that's how you spell it, he has a very good golf fitness book

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Running would appear to be a popular option, but I've heard that it's really bad for ankles, knees & hips.
Truth ................ or urban myth?

Slime.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Running would appear to be a popular option, but I've heard that it's really bad for ankles, knees & hips.

Slime.
Did a fair bit of running and did find a lot of running on pavements led to shin splints. Might just have been me I guess. Found running in woodland or around local nature trails didn't cause any damage. As for golf, I just have drink and some food on the way round. Probably a lost cause in terms of getting fit for golf!

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Slime.

Truth, especially if you do not have the right footwear. Being a high impact sport the knees and ankles are always going to take a battering so you should give them as much protection as possible.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
There's a french bio mechanics guy .... Jean Jacques Rivet.

He'd have to be a 'Frog' wouldn't he!

Have seen some of his stuff in mags (even GM?) and it's quite impressive.

Running can indeed be hard on joints and the body in general, especially the macho way guys go about it. Swimming is much less percussive (as in zero!). Combine that with targeted stretches and a few specific strength routines and it's the best golf fitness imo.

Feeling tired just thinking of it! (Thai) Curry and a Beer for supper for me!

D

Deleted member 15344

Pilates and yoga are pretty good for golf

Other than that just do some basic cardio

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Buy a kettle bell and do some basic swings morning and night, start off with 10-15 swings and build up until you can do 50 or more without stopping. Depending on your size and basic strength a 12kg kettle bell would be a good start but that may be a little light, in which case try a 16kg kettle bell.

Doing the swings in a morning will take you a couple of mins and really get you blood pumping it also very good for strengthening your legs, also gives your core a good workout. Add in a few press-ups and you have a very basic workout that will only take you a few mins to complete.

Eat a sensible diet, combined with the kettle bell exercises and you lose weight and get fitter.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pilates and yoga are pretty good for golf

Other than that just do some basic cardio

Cardio is a good way to go. I was 14st 4 when I started College after years of weight gain, did 2 cardio classes a week at the on site gym and I am now 12st 12. I am 6ft 3" tall. It can be done but is a crippler to start with so be prepared for some very sore and achey muscles

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I gave up smoking last january and have put on just over a stone and a half, tomorrow im seriously thinking of doing that Insanity DVD HID has been doing.

If not ill just do some pressups and situps, quick run and stop eating rubbish.

HarryMonk

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Running defiantly causes problems for knees I speak from experience as my knee is giving me stick currently, three days after my last run:(

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Exercise bike in the spare bedroom for me. Started doing it when I took up tennis again. Would never go to a gym, too much effort, but up a few stairs, not a problem. If I time it right I just get down in time for evening meal,

and a beer.:eek:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site

Slime.
My mate took up road running, and ten years later his knees are shot. Swimming is a great sport for getting fit. Mind you I would say that as my wife runs a swim school, and my daughter teaches at it.

jak kez 187

Head Pro
Visit site
How long does it usually take to start noticing an increase in fitness levels? Say if you did cardio and weights 3 times a week?
I'm not overweight at all but do absolutely no exercise and i've started to get breathless walking medium distances and up multiple flights of stairs which I never used to.
Going to join a gym but last time I went nothing seemed to happen and I gave up after a month or so haha.