Advice needed fellas, possible new irons

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi Everyone

I'm thinking of selling my set of Wilson Staff D-FY irons 5-pw as I'm looking for a set more suitable for mid handicapper. I'm wondering where to look as I dont realy have much money to upgrade and the majority of the funds would come through selling my D-FY's

My friend (4 handicapper) has brought this on by saying the thick sole on the D-FY's are hindering further progress, especially after last year when I was using Wilson fatshaft 2's which had a thinner base.

I was thinking of the Wilson Ci9's or even the FG Tours if I could find a cheap set but I'm open to advice on other brands. TM Burners have been mentioned elsewhere but I'm not sure on how much thinner the sole is.

this is just the start of it and I may be looking for a while for the right set at the right price so am open to any suggestions.

Cheers, Kevin

Last edited:

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I am wondering why he said that they would be "hindering further progress"? Did he explain himself?

In my limited understanding, I thought that a thicker sole just helped the club a few different ways, but wasnt aware of any drawbacks? I also thought, and I could be mistaken, that a thicker sole helped with preventing the club digging in as much, a little like bounce I guess, could be wrong, but if I am right, then I would say at least wait until after winter to change, with the ground being wet and heavy for the next 5 months they would help

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would be looking at G15/I15's if you can find them at a good price. Ideal for the mid handicap and even the I15 will give you a fair degree of forgiveness. I liked them a lot. If you get a decent price with trade in it shouldn't break the bank

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would love a set of G/I15's and maybe trading in is the way to go. I've also seen Taylormade CB's and Wilson FG Tours which look like solid cavity backs and possibly cheaper than Pings but I haven't read any human (non magazine) reviews

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not really sure why he said what he did. Also what is your handicap? The wide sole helps prevent digging in plus it lowers the cg helping to get the ball into the air. The TM cb's are more a low handicapers club or at least a decent ball striker. They are a cast club with a forged face, and will not be as forgiving as what you have now. Dont know about the wilson tours but would think that they would be similar to the TM's.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not really sure why he said what he did. Also what is your handicap? The wide sole helps prevent digging in plus it lowers the cg helping to get the ball into the air. The TM cb's are more a low handicapers club or at least a decent ball striker. They are a cast club with a forged face, and will not be as forgiving as what you have now. Dont know about the wilson tours but would think that they would be similar to the TM's.

Disagree about the TM CB being a low handicappers club. I think they would suit a mid-handicapper but I didn't mention them as they are still relatively new and therefore still pricey. If the OP could massage the funds with the trade in there would be only one winner in my book and thats the R11. Best club I've hit in 2011 (and I've tried plenty) and will be in my bag soon I think

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only said that really Homer. As the clubs the op has at the mo are reasonably easy to hit. More a warning as the TM's are quite a jump up from them. I agree with you that a half desent mid-handicaper could use them no problem. For anyone lefthanded. Lefthanded golf have them on offer for £299.99 at the moment.

stef92

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
A couple of years back I was using the Wilson Staff Di7s. They were cracking clubs, but, I was starting to hit sub 90 on a regular basis, so I decided to swap. I got the Pi7s…

I was really worried that I wouldn't be able to hit them (it was a bit of a gamble, no trial, no practice, just bought them straight of eBay! :eek: NOT RECOMMENDED), but, they went like a dream, and within a week they were securely in the bag and got me round Carnoustie in +15. I was off 24 still technically at that point, but I handed my supplementary card in and my handicap soon dropped fast…!

What I would say is be honest with yourself. It doesn't matter what clubs you use, just so long as they are right for you! There is no point using clubs that look better, which perform worse, because people will think things then too!

But, if your serious and certain, (I got lucky), then try the Pi range (v cheap) or the equivalent FG Tours or Ci range.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would love a set of G/I15's and maybe trading in is the way to go. I've also seen Taylormade CB's and Wilson FG Tours which look like solid cavity backs and possibly cheaper than Pings but I haven't read any human (non magazine) reviews

I've just changed to G20s and love them BUT the Ping G range has the thickest sole I've ever seen. Still think they don't look pretty but boy do they ever work (and forgive)!

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
The new TM range are so easy to hit. The MC & MB are amazing. Havent tried the CB's but woild recommend them to anyone.

Decent looking and gr8 topline. MC are sweet in the long irons with a great flight.

Give them a try Kev or the R11's like Homer suggested.

Lots of good deals about on them too but in no way detracks from the quality.

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
thanks for the advice guys. This year is my first season with a full membership and I'm officially a 28 handicapper but I haven't entered any competitions since may and follwing lessons I've been hitting a very consistent 90, and even recently broke 90 with an 89 last round with some very helpful advice from some of the clubs old timers. I should really put a supplementary card in or enter more comps

DaveM - I've never had a problem getting the ball airborn but struggled at times getting my club under the ball in a difficult lie where the wide base skid along the surface, where as something thinner would have got under, possibly but taking a chunk of grass with it. This could also have been down to wrong club choice but I took what the fella said on board and am following through with a bit research.

Homer - again, I would love R11's but the wallet doesn't stretch that far just yet.

What I might do is keep hold of my current setup until spring as the grounds will be harder and there is less chance the club will dig in anyway. In the meantime, keep the suggestions coming as there is always the chance I might win the lottery :)