Advice for son

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
Took my son the range today, I'm waiting for him to take the leap and go for lessons, happy to pay but need him to commit.

In the mean time he goes the range to hit a few balls but would like some advice. I'm not in a position to give him decent guidance, If I was I wouldn't be a 21 HCP. He has never played on a course, and this is only the 3rd time I've took him the range. He's 15, 16 in a couple of weeks

Any advice from people on here.

[video=youtube_share;Yilztn9wpuo]http://youtu.be/Yilztn9wpuo[/video]

Cheers

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Lessons straight away to avoid bad habits, my mates son started in jan, at 13 years old and being a dot of a kid he has little core power, bu ten single lessons and ten group lessons has seen him drop from 54 to 29 in one season and is 2nd in the order of merit!

He will get to sub 20 next year....

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If that is only the 3rd time at the range then he is doing well. I agree he should have lessons as soon as. Have a look at local clubs and what they have to offer in their junior golf sections.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have a look at local clubs and what they have to offer in their junior golf sections.

Amen! the range near me does a weekend range roll up, just turn up, i think its £3-4 and they reserve around 10 bays. the pro then just walks about helping them all out for 2 hours. while its not a proper lesson, he will make some new golfing buddies, get some advise and its only a few quid... My son will be going when he is A. big enough and B. shows the desire to learn/play.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I think Colin Mongomerie played off 6 h/cap when he was 18.... so plenty of time. Your son looks like he's a natural, few issues but nothing that a decent club pro couldn't work with - what made your son suddenly want to start playing?

(and note: kids don't commit,... they enjoy!)

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Junior group lessons IMO that way he meets youngster his own age too, plus the option to come to the range/out on the course with you whenever you can but no pressure let him decide if he wants to or not.
Enjoy the fun you'll have! :)

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
I think Colin Mongomerie played off 6 h/cap when he was 18.... so plenty of time. Your son looks like he's a natural, few issues but nothing that a decent club pro couldn't work with - what made your son suddenly want to start playing?

(and note: kids don't commit,... they enjoy!)

He stays in bed for ages on a weekend, so I asked him would he be up for a knock, he said he would try at the range and see how it goes. He enjoys it from what I can see, I told him we need to get him some coaching so he doesn't get into bad habits early. And all he needs to do is say he is up for it and they are there for him. He isnt up for the group lessons as all the places near me are flooded with under 10's and @ 15 he feels a bit shy practising alongside them.

I hope he stays with it as from what I can see he picks things up really well and with the right guidance to get low in a few years.

B

birdieman

Touch of the Matt Kuchar's about that swing,flattish with the low hands right through the swing. Shoulder turn a bit restricted- needs to turn more but good tempo. Has the makings of a decent player, good to see a youngster not trying to kill it!

big_russ

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Clarkes golf centre at Rainford have started doing roll up lessons on night during the week, £8 I think. Might be worth having a visit there to see what is on offer. @ClarkesGolf on Twitter for info.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does anyone know of any pros local to St Helens that run group classes for Juniors getting close to 16 years old????????/

Cheers
sherdley park runs lessons for juniors at the range,also there are some classes run by the council on the sports development scheme,also eccleston park is dirt cheap for juniors to join could be the way to go.