Advice for a recently appointed Vice Captain

mikeb4

Head Pro
Visit site
In the last few weeks I became Vice Captain at my golf club any advice for my new role? (apart from the obvious thick skin)

a bit of background:-
Previously I was the Membership Convener (106 new members this year, lost 45) and prior to that did the Business Plan and Risk Assessments

NB. In my club the main role is the Captain, then Vice Captain and Secretary (we dont have a President) we do have employed staff who are the backbone- a Club Manager/Treasurer, House Mgr and Head Green-keeper and Head Pro all who do an excellent job along with their staff. We also have a Council - House,Greens and Opens Conveners and and a Treasury Assistant.

Really, really, good team of people who have the best interests of the club at heart, and the club is moving forward, which is a bit of a rarity in the current climate.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm sure you will do well Mike, as ever in such situations the real key is ensuring that everyone knows what's expected of them in their role and supported to get out with it.

The obvious is 'enjoy' - but I have to admit to enjoying my golf a little more having finished a stint! Each to their own.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No advice Mike but I played at your club several times over the years when in Rosyth with the RN, always welcomed and enjoyed the course. Hope you have a great Vice Capt and Captaincy.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Firstly congratulations! It sounds like you thoroughly deserve the honour and that you have a great club.
The best advice I can give is to firstly enjoy it. Look at it as a one time opportunity. Enjoyment and enthusiasm are contagious. Take the membership with you.
Secondly, remember you can never please all the people all the time, so don't favour anyone, especially yourself. Look at all the options from everyone's point of view and do what is right.
Last but not least - remember and remind others that we do this for fun. People take their club very seriously and that's a good thing, but it's amazing how this original objective of being a member of a golf club is often forgotten.
Good luck! Golf clubs need more people like you.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Hope you have a cracking time.

Remember, you're there for who you are, not what someone wants to be. Be yourself, and enjoy.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sweep summed it up for me. Best Captain, I appreciate this year you are vice but the same applies, I had was infectiously enthusiastic. Always smile, keep happy and even the miserable ones will come round. It will make your time go better as well. Have a great year.

U

User62651

Upside - you'll get your own parking space!
Downside - your fun hobby may feel a bit like work - if you're retired that's ok, if you're still a working man can get a bit tedious and time consuming. I'd expect your scoring and handicap to go up a bit. Distractions will arise that weren't there before.

Good stepping up though, we all need to take our turns and do the best we can in the roles. I enjoyed being Vice Captain/Match and Handicap Sec joint role, much more than I liked being Captain, which I did as best I can, but didn't enjoy it really tbh.

mikeb4

Head Pro
Visit site
Upside - you'll get your own parking space!
Downside - your fun hobby may feel a bit like work - if you're retired that's ok, if you're still a working man can get a bit tedious and time consuming. I'd expect your scoring and handicap to go up a bit. Distractions will arise that weren't there before.

Good stepping up though, we all need to take our turns and do the best we can in the roles. I enjoyed being Vice Captain/Match and Handicap Sec joint role, much more than I liked being Captain, which I did as best I can, but didn't enjoy it really tbh.

Yeah i get a parking space which is a bonus. I am not retired have a full time to, however get weekends off.

There is a fear that my golf will be affected, on a plus side i am aware of it and will do all i can to ensure it doesn't happen, my game has greatly improved in the last 5 years went from 20 - 6 so it is my intention not to let that slip (hopefully) and i dont think it will, still manage over 100 rounds a year which is a bonus.
thanks for your kind words.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You seem ideal for the job. Good luck and take the time to enjoy it.
Sometimes that can mean not being involved in everything.

Minor tip....you will do a lot of 'thank yooze',
Be club inclusive rather than pick out individuals/sections. This stops you being boring and upsets to staff who have not 'had a mention'.