Advantages of blades - Feel?

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Tale of two halfs though isnt it.

Good consistent strike = blades give you better consistency and better feel,
Bad strikes = GI gives better feel and better consistency

I have to say in my view we're splitting hairs over the feel of good strikes...

D

Deleted member 1147

I think that nowadays there are so many good sets of "players" cavity backs that you'd be unlikely to miss out of the feel/consistency benefits, whilst still enjoying a little help on off centre strikes.

My Mizuno MP 20 MMCs being a case in point.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Very similar for me.

My first good set of clubs were a set of forged blades, Mizuno Pro Originals, in the late 80s, later followed by other blades for a number of years, probably 7 or 8 sets over the years, including MacGregor, Wilson, Titleist and most recently Mizuno MP4s. I have since moved to players cavity/players distance mixed sets (currently Srixon ZX585/785).

I still love blades, the clean looks, thin top line, lack of offset and the crisp feel of a good shot, and I try them pretty often. But hitting a Ben Hogan Apex 2 iron off a fairway was a hell of a shot.
I often hit that shot in my very best dreams. It is a links, and it is straight into a gale. The ball only gets to 10 feet high and carries the full 200 yards, coming to a full stop 4 feet from the pin.

I did actually do that once, years ago with a 1 iron. I'll never forget that shot.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tale of two halfs though isnt it.

Good consistent strike = blades give you better consistency and better feel,
Bad strikes = GI gives better feel and better consistency

I have to say in my view we're splitting hairs over the feel of good strikes...
Well there is the miss hit the blade lose 8-10yards , pure a gi and go miles by … the former being far easier to contend with because you just play for the back yardages and putt all the time

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Blades look great, who needs any other reason?

I also think blades help you become a better ball striker as they don't allow you to get away with poor shots in the way a cavity back does, so you're forced to improve If you want to progress.

Today's multi material blades offer cavity back performance in a blade shape, the tungsten weighting at the toe and heel having the same effect as moving metal around in a cavity back head.

The biggest reason I use blades though is that I play golf for the enjoyment, I get the most enjoyment from playing blades.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Blades look great, who needs any other reason?

I also think blades help you become a better ball striker as they don't allow you to get away with poor shots in the way a cavity back does, so you're forced to improve If you want to progress.

Today's multi material blades offer cavity back performance in a blade shape, the tungsten weighting at the toe and heel having the same effect as moving metal around in a cavity back head.

The biggest reason I use blades though is that I play golf for the enjoyment, I get the most enjoyment from playing blades.
Completely agree , I am in the process of deciding a semi classic bag set up .. Mizuno TP18 blades, possibly a Wilson 8802 putter … then it’s a look into some woods (next door has a garage full, so might ask if I can buy a couple and make them look beautiful again)

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can vary the flight and side to side with ease. Still trying to figure out a way to know which of those variables is going to kick in on any given shot, though.
Be positive set up for one for most shots , think people forget that this is also a benefit to counter issues.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played blades in 7-wedges simply because I like the smaller head, thin top line and narrow sole. All of which are nigh on impossible to find in a CB club.

I have tried this year going back to clubs with more forgiveness ( 3 sets tried) but never really liked them mainly down to the wider sole.

When it comes to feel that is more about what a club is made form and what dampening is put in rather than the head style. I can feel no difference with my 6 iron which is CB but forged and the 7.