Adult clubs chopped down for kids

HPIMG

Visit site
My 10 year old has a junior set but it only goes from pw to driver he doesn’t have any real wedges. I just got myself new wedges so was going to get my 58 cut down for him, would a child struggle with a heavier club I’m thinking it wouldn’t matter much cause it would be just for little chips around the greens. He’s getting decent on the par 3 course he’s already had a hole in one and I haven’t lol and he’s starting to hit the greens semi consistent so 58 would be good for him on close chips.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I would encourage him to learn how to manipulate the PW.
Learn the low runner, the high lob, distance control etc.
It will stand him in good stead for the future.
Then maybe look again in a few years as he gets older and stronger.

I would also encourage less loft for shorter chips, not more

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
It it’s a steel shaft it might be too heavy.

Have a look for some Ping Prodi G wedges. They are lightweight for kids.

I agree with Bob on not using a 58.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree with the ideas of him how to learn to vary the height and distance of the PW depending on what loft it has.
If around 50 degree fine but if one of the more modern lofts around 45degree then get him something around 50.

When it comes down to cutting down a a men's club in theory the heavier feeling head will give him more control, also bearing in mind the at the age of 10 he is hardly likely to be using for more than about a year.

If you are cutting down and replacing the remember you may well be cutting off the thickest part of the shaft and will need a grip with a narrower bore to replace it, you could also add some weight to the butt to compensate for the heavier feeling head.

Alternatively you could teach him to grip lower down the shaft.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would keep him on kids clubs or ladies, cut down. The extra weight of mens clubs can be problematic and you don't want to put him off with a club he can't use properly.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’d definitely advise against. Their bones are still soft and growing. All sorts of things can go wrong.

For reference, the US Kids (orange) wedge weights 332g compared to 466g a grown up wedge. Understand if it’s only for chipping than it’s not as taxing on the body but it’s still an equivalent 67 swing weights difference…

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’d definitely advise against. Their bones are still soft and growing. All sorts of things can go wrong.
Children will handle much heavier things than a wedge without damaging their bones.

I don't know whether a cut down wedge will help or damage their golf. But it won't hurt their bones.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Children will handle much heavier things than a wedge without damaging their bones.

I don't know whether a cut down wedge will help or damage their golf. But it won't hurt their bones.
This would contradict opinions of coaches and medical professionals but sure everyone can have their opinion.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
How tall is he, if possible, get him to grip down the club a little - that'll lighten the balance.

It's a wedge, and unless he's trying to hit it maximum yardages like Bryson does, then I don't think it'll do him any harm.

HPIMG

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, he’s just under 140cm I think. He has the mizuno 140 junior set and there slightly too long for him. I didn’t realise you could buy the ping junior wedges on there own so he’s got the dentist this morning and told him I’ll take him to American golf after that to get him a new wedge and then the driving range.
He just needs a little wedge for quarter and half shots so think I’ll get him the 56 he’s also obsessed with doing keepy ups with the ball but I told him it’s too hard to try and do with a pw so I definitely want to get him a wedge.

Last edited:

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't know which ones but they are probably out of touch.

Some background reading…

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Some background reading…
Which one of those mentions a heavy wedge?
It is now suggested that children can do strength training and there is no evidence that doing so damages their epiphyses.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
At 10 years old I was using 4 mens sized clubs that my dad had cut down for me. Some growing-room at first, still a little bit long. Used them for nearly 3 years.
Spoon, mashie, mashie-niblick and putter.

I can report that this did me no harm whatsoever.
Thanks dad, you set me up for a life-time's enjoyment.

HPIMG

Visit site
At 10 years old I was using 4 mens sized clubs that my dad had cut down for me. Some growing-room at first, still a little bit long. Used them for nearly 3 years.
Spoon, mashie, mashie-niblick and putter.

I can report that this did me no harm whatsoever.
Thanks dad, you set me up for a life-time's enjoyment.
Yea I have no doubt it wouldn’t do him or any child any harm my son does boxing twice a week and the circuit at the end has weights and although light weights there still a hell of a lot heavier than a cut down wedge.

Last edited:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, he’s just under 140cm I think. He has the mizuno 140 junior set and there slightly too long for him. I didn’t realise you could buy the ping junior wedges on there own so he’s got the dentist this morning and told him I’ll take him to American golf after that to get him a new wedge and then the driving range.
He just needs a little wedge for quarter and half shots so think I’ll get him the 56 he’s also obsessed with doing keepy ups with the ball but I told him it’s too hard to try and do with a pw so I definitely want to get him a wedge.

My son is a 152cm, his driver is full length, with a 50 gram shaft, but it feels heavier than mine when swinging .
In his fitting he lost distance and accuracy with a shorter shaft.

I’d imagine you’ll find in a couple of years that your lad is finding adult clubs pretty comfortable.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

For reference, the US Kids (orange) wedge weights 332g compared to 466g a grown up wedge. Understand if it’s only for chipping than it’s not as taxing on the body but it’s still an equivalent 67 swing weights difference…
You're comparing the weights of full length wedges.
And although 134g sounds a lot, the difference is actually less than 5 ounces if the wedge was full length.
But its not, it's cut down so the weight difference will be even less.
As he's only using it for little chips around the greens, to suggest that ''All sorts of things can go wrong'' is misleading in my opinion