Admiting defeat...

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So after a season of poor iron play i have decided to revert back to GI irons... only had the AP2 6 months and when you hit them nice they feel great but just dont do it enough.

Had a go on trackman and the drop off on poor hits is incomparable between AP1 and AP2.

Initially went in with intention of AP3 but didnt hit them quite as nice either so better than AP2.

So a 6 month old set of AP2's going up very soon in FS section.

Has anyone else made the jump to players irons and regretted it? Did you find an improvement changing back?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
KJ Choi was using Ping G series irons for a while. Make the game as easy as possible for yourself, why make it harder?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I remember Colin mc once did a what's in the bag with sky and he had hybrids and said these are so easy to hit I don't understand why people make the game harder

This is from professional golfer.....

Yet you get amateurs who insist that they are the devils work

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
it depends on what you need from an iron. the biggest drawbacks from gi irons is they launch too high for someone that's doesn't struggle to get the ball airborne. they're also incredibly inconsistent throughout the face. the ball speed drop off when comparing centre to off-centre strikes is massive.

with an ap2 your not going to get much help but they're Much more predictable on ball flight and distance

i dont know you or your game personally but at the beginning of this year you where still playing in the 20's. I'd say your jump was too soon. I'm playing off 7 and only just switched to the ap2 from ping ie irons

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I did the same a while back and im really happy that i did. I chopped in my Mizuno's for an off the shelf set of TM's RSI 1's and haven't looked back

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
it depends on what you need from an iron. the biggest drawbacks from gi irons is they launch too high for someone that's doesn't struggle to get the ball airborne. they're also incredibly inconsistent throughout the face. the ball speed drop off when comparing centre to off-centre strikes is massive.

with an ap2 your not going to get much help but they're Much more predictable on ball flight and distance

i dont know you or your game personally but at the beginning of this year you where still playing in the 20's. I'd say your jump was too soon. I'm playing off 7 and only just switched to the ap2 from ping ie irons

Definitely right that ive jumped too soon... AP1 got me down from 28-18 and i felt i was a better ball striker than i was (typical golfer ego)... my dads friend at the club off 7 and he plays AP1.

In saying theyre inconsistant across the face tho i found the opposite in testing. Front back dispersion over a lot of shots was 6 yards carry and 6 yards total with AP1. In AP2 on shots before for comparison the margin was much larger... cant remember exactly what.

Cant see me playing players clubs unless im ever Cat 1 and even then not sure im gonna see a benefit.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Can relate to this post. I play GI irons as I'm a high handicapper (16). I would love to be able to play better irons as I'm a high ball hitter naturally and I hate the flight in general. Wind kills me with such a high ball flight. No real option as to lower the flight I would likely have to play better irons or start messing about with shafts

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Re: Admitting defeat...

Sorry,.........thought this thread was started by Homer.:eek::whistle::ears:

Nah!

Being an NHS man, he'd have spelt 'admitting' properly! :whistle:

I think KJ Choi has played almost every style of iron there is too - a true Ho! He played Augusta with a bag full of headcovers too! I've actually used one of his old (rejected/traded) shafts - my first Matrix experience! And boy did it perform!

@OP. Sounds like a reasonable decision. If you are trying to improve, why make the game harder than needs to be? I've stopped chasing reductions, so happily play in-between irons, but only from 6 iron, having replaced the 5 with a 27* hybrid!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had my MP-57s since taking up the game, always wondered if I should switch to GIs but never had the cash. Just going to stick with these forver more I think...

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I don't struggle with my irons but I had a go with a friends g15's and could not do anything but hit them straight and long and the forgiveness is ridiculous, been wondering why on earth I make the game harder with the more players cb's I use since and I still don't have an answer other than vanity.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't struggle with my irons but I had a go with a friends g15's and could not do anything but hit them straight and long and the forgiveness is ridiculous, been wondering why on earth I make the game harder with the more players cb's I use since and I still don't have an answer other than vanity.

its not about making the game harder. gi irons produce very inconsistent ball speeds. most people reading this have hit an iron clean through the back of the green and look bemused to their playing partners as to what happened.

if gi irons where the way forward then most aspiring pros would use them to get on tour. but they dont because they dont know how far the next shot is going to go.

an example would be my recent fitting with titleist. when i tried the ap3 i was producing ball speed of 130 with centre strikes but dropping off to 119 out the toe. with the ap2 i was producing 125 out the centre and 119 out the toe.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ive dropped the 6 and 7 irons from my ap2. Replaced with old mizuno jpx fli hi irons. They have an iron like face but a hybrid body.

So much easier to hit. Pick them up off ebay and make the game easier.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
With only 8 to lob wedge then the jpx on down through to proper hybrids and woods, It feels like i have a bag of wedges and hybrids.

Simple :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Why make it harder than it needs to be. Very happy with my I25 as the head and top line is small enough and forgiveness there. That said I put a G400 iron next to the I25 and minimal difference. Hit the G400 great too. Plenty to think on once I get the swing in order

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Buy some blades, its the way golf was meant to be played.

Agreed, all the Old School clubs I've bought this year have been blades and I've loved playing them.
If anything I think they've improved my iron play as I concentrate more on getting the middle of the face back to the ball.
And who cares if a few mis-hits don't go as far as they would with a GI iron.

It's not all about the score.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not sure that gi clubs are inconsistent. The whole point of perimeter weighting is to give a larger, more even, sweet spot.

Some of the newer models have springier faces, but aren't these designed to improve off centre strikes in the same way as driver faces? The older ones (like g15 ) don't even have that sort of tech, so I find it hard to believe there's an iron which gives better results from an imperfect contact.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Ap2’s are not players irons. I game them. They’re an inbetweener.
What your describing is a weak ball flight. You need lessons to strengthen the flight by delivering better loft.
You don’t need to mess with shafts either or buy a new set of irons.

Buy all means though. If you’ve lost confidence in your clubs, and adamant it’s nothing a pro can’t sort. Buy GI clubs with jacked lofts. Everybody plays better for a week or two with new clubs.