adjustable drivers

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
Hello All

After a lesson a while ago, where the pro told me my current driver was completely wrong for me, I have finally bitten the bullet and splashed out on a new driver - Titleist 910 D2, 9.5 degrees aldida rip shaft (stiff). I say new it was a preowned one in good nick. It seemed to be the driver that gave me the best results. My average swing speed was 107 mph.

I'm excited about playing with this but unsure which setting to put it on. So for anyone who owns one, or any adjustable driver for that matter, how did you choose the setting on your driver? do you stick with the same one or constantly alter it (depending on course conditions or how your swinging that day)?

I was planning on hitting 10-15 balls on each setting and see which gives the best results.

ps i assume its against the rules to change settings during the round but can someone confirm that?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
You cannot change the settings in a competition round. I have done so in a friendly match with the ok of the other players. The idea is that the pro sets it up initially for you as most buy, as I did, "custom fit".

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
i assume its against the rules to change settings during the round but can someone confirm that?

That is correct, you can't change it.
Just out of interest, what driver did you have before that was so wrong?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Start with A1, which is 9.5 degree loft, 0.5 degree open, as this is the stock setting. If this works, just leave it alone.

If you fade it, toe it in, if you hook it, toe it out. Too low, add some loft.

Most people would be best leaving it on A1, and learning how to hit it.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My Cobra ZL Encore has fairly crude adjustability: Open (+2*) neutral and closed (-2*).

I tried the closed setting and hit a hook. I tried the open setting and hit a slice.

I tried the neutral and can hit hooks and slices, so stuck with that :mad:

Face adjustability is great if you have someone to properly set the thing up for you, but I think that for people who don't really know their swings terribly well, it can be unhelpful and confusing.

As Murph suggest, ideally you want to learn to hit a neutrally set-up driver well, thereby learning a swing that doesn't require the club to correct faults.

A

Alex1975

If you have a look at the matrix for the club on the Titleist site you will see that "opening and closing" or" fading and drawing" the 910 range also adds or subtracts lie angle. I have all my 910s set up with standard loft as they then fit correctly in the club gaps and with the face wide open, the reason for this is that i could see from the scuff marks on the sole that I was only using the heal of the club, it was quite dramatic. In essance I have used my adjustability to get the lie angle correct and nothing else.

Last edited:

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have the Taylor made one. As I hit a low ball I've increased the loft half a degree to 11*'s. Left the face neutral, altered the weight to give a draw bias. Spent a hour or so to get it how I wanted. Then left it alone. When I'm swinging right those settings are spot on. Any hook/slice I hit its my rubbish swing not the club. So I have to sort the swing. Not alter the club.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Been using adjustable drivers since TM released the first R7 QUAD in around 2004ish. Difficult to get set up perfectly if you do not understand how to do it. Never used the Titleist, but I imagine it is not that much different than the TM models. I was shown by the TM tour van how to set these up, it is pretty easy really. Put it to neutral setting and see what happens, then just make minor adjustments from there. Like Alex has said take into consideration the fact that when you alter things it can change things that you did not want to change. Change the loft and you will alter the face angle opening or closing it. You want to change the face angle to counter act a bit of a slice, then you will add loft to it. When messing around with it if it is not going how you want just go back to neutral and start again.

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've had Nike VR Pro's and now have a Callaway Razr Fit which I was fitted for. the Nikes were always set at neutral however the Razr Fit was set closed and weighted for a draw. I have since changed the face to Neutral and left the weights set for a draw bias.

To be honest if I could have got the right shaft in a non adjustable driver I'd have bought it.

Andr3w

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have a similar setup to you, 910D3 with x-stiff RIP. I just leave it on A1 setting, I find the swing I put on the club has much much more influence on the shot shape than any minor changes in the settings so it's probably wasted on me.

lee_leggett

Head Pro
Visit site
Best thing to do is have a club fitted, check your swing speed, launch angle, spin rates, carry ect. All these things can be fitted for you.
Im not keen on adjustable drivers, if you slice the ball, a adjustable driver in a closed position simply starts the ball further left.
Have a few lessons, find the best loft that suits your swing. this will lower your spin rates.