Adblue

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looking to change my car and one of the options is a car with Adblue. Never had that before. What are peoples experience of this? Is it a pain to add? Am I best to avoid?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A couple of mine have needed it...got a 5ltr bottle and chucked it in just like screenwash..
You get a warning light when it gets low and you have 500 miles or so to fill it before the engine stops!
It's not a painstaking process
My AdBlue tank is about 8 or 9 litres but I just chucked in 5 to keep it simple otherwise you'll have half empty bottles all over the place:LOL:

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Very easy to add.

But personally I wouldn't buy another adblue car from the VAG group. There's a fault with the adblue fuel pump sensor. I experienced it on my 2018 Q5, but I know it's been reported on A4s and A6s as well. And since most VAG cars share loads of parts I'm not sure I would trust any of them! The fix is in 2 parts - a £1K option, but if that doesn't work it's another £2K for a full fix, and of course my car was out of warranty.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My last 3 VW Transporters have all used Adblue. Never had any problems with it or the dispensing of it, and over about 250k miles. The VW diesels are common across the whole group, and all use Adblue as do most new diesels of any brand now to meet the emisions requirements.
I love diesels, but I wouldnt buy a diesel car from anyone now mainly becuase they are so demonised they are becoming a little awkward to sell on after.
Adblue is easy to use, but its best to run it until the low warning starts to appear then put a whole bottle in, which in my case is 10 ltrs. If you do it thatway, punching a hole in the bottom of the bottle when you start pouring it will enable it to flow better and quicker and stop sucking the bottle closed.
Just wipe up any spillage on the paintwork.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
My Pug uses AdBlu...no issues adding it now that most bags have a proper nozzle that fits in the neck of the tank. Think I've got a 17L tank....I just wait for the alarm and add in 10L.

The only issue is that whoever designed the plastic bags at Halfords that contains the AdBlu never bothered trying to pick one up, as the flat, sharp, bag handle simply slices its way through your skin, tendons and veins leaving a spurting pile of fingers and blood on the floor. Well....perhaps that's a bit extreme but I'm sure you see the picture.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Our local BP garage just installed a dedicated AdBlue pump making it even easier.

Touch wood, had no problems w a 2015 Audi, gives a warning 1,000 miles ahead of the top up needed.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Alhambra had adblue, they put it in the worse place to fill up! (Via the boot with it in 7 seat mode only) But because of the milage we did we just had it filled up every year service and was fine

Car gives plenty of warning when low and bottles are readily available

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Used ad blue in Missis Ts Mazda CX-7, never had a problem with it. Some ad blue fillers are now at the side of the fuel filler. This one was in the boot. It could be a royal pita to fill but that was it. At one time it seemed to be a ball ache to find it, but now even Aldi sell it, it is that popular.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Same as filling a petrol tank from a container.
Last car I had that needed it had the filler in the boot.
Even Tesco sells it as do most other supermarkets.
Cheapest nearest me is sold in B&Q