Acquiring a handicap at a new club.

Guinness1993

Visit site
Afternoon guys,

I'm a newbie to the forum and had a question about the 3 rounds required to gain a handicap.

I was wondering whether the 3 rounds required had to be competitive rounds (medal/stableford etc) or non competitive rounds with another member of the club.

I ask because I've only just joined a club and don't know anybody to play with yet in a non competitive round, so it would be handy if I could enter three competition cards to gain my handicap!

Cheers in advance.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
You could do either.

You could play in the comp for your handicap cards. Obviously not entered into it but at least someone will mark your card.

Or ask in the shop for a member to mark your cards.

I did the first option.

Guinness1993

Visit site
You've actually answered my next question which is great. Wouldn't be bothered about technically being entered into a competition for the handicap rounds as long as I can get my card signed by someone. Thanks for the help 👍

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If your club does roll ups, these are also usually a good way to get a card marked and find new people to play with.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I just went up and waited for a few mins to see if anyone was about to sign my card, I also saelw the starter and that got me introduced to some people and got my card in quite quickly, now I just book medals

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If there's a 'resident' Pro, they are probably in a great position to identify folk who would sign card(s) for you - even though it (handicapping) is not, generally, their role.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the important points at this time of year is that they must be played on a course (your own one) that meets Qualifying round conditions eg no more than 2 temp greens and course that has not been shortened by more than a specific distance by the use of temporary tees.

D

Deleted member 25172

I didnt know anyone at the club so simply joined the Saturday roll up and got people to mark my card to get it. Win/win situation. Get your handicap and get to know people to play with moving forward.