A warning, if ever there was one!!....................

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Oh well....after seeing three more doctors, (two last night and one today), I am off home again.
All are convinced that the original diagnosis was correct, and I am in no immediate danger.
I had additional blood tests and another chest x-ray, and all results are clear.
They have given me five days worth of additional tablets to help clot the blood and avoid the bleeding that I have been encountering. They gave this to me intravenously overnight and today and my coughing stopped almost immediately.
Still no desire for a cigarette, and all the medical staff are happy that I've given them up.
Fingers crossed that my recuperation goes better this time.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Just on another note, piece of advice.

As long as I don't hit further problems, we are due to fly out to Kefalonia for two weeks at the end of the month.
Should I advise our travel insurance company of what's happened??

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

As long as I don't hit further problems, we are due to fly out to Kefalonia for two weeks at the end of the month.
Yes.
If you don’t they may use that to wriggle out if you need treatment while on holiday.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Not trying to deflate you but you need to check your ok to fly.
There are certain things to do with blood flow that may prevent you from flying.
A good hol is probably what you need so hope it’s not the case.
Ethan may put us straight.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Not trying to deflate you but you need to check your ok to fly.
There are certain things to do with blood flow that may prevent you from flying.
A good hol is probably what you need so hope it’s not the case.
Ethan may put us straight.
When I mentioned this to one of the doctors, he said it wouldn't be a problem.
Fingers crossed he was right

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

Spoke to Missis T and she said deffo. Tell them your diagnosis. Chest infection. Problem is if you don’t and it flairs up on Holiday then they may say you had an existing problem which you never disclosed.
My mother had her gall bladder removed in January/ Feb this year but had her holiday cancelled over Xmas and new year. Eventually insurance paid out. They were happy to insure her for her holiday to Benidorm last month as her problem had cleared up and she had disclosed it.
Kefalonia is a nice incentive to get right for ?

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site

My understanding is that everything I am under observation for is a pre-existing condition and has to be advised to the insurance. I pay about £320 annual for travel insurance due to pre existing. That’s for kidney plus 2x heart, which I all have an annual test for. Can’t remember if the PE is in that as well, I think that’s dropped of my list as I am released by the blood doctor a couple of years ago.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Yes.Definitely, incase you need medical.cover abroad

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Thanks for your advice guys, I'll get in touch with the insurance company tomorrow and see what they say.
Still clear, tablets seem to be working. No coughing at all, and no blood.
I'm feeling really good if I'm honest. My breathing is a lot easier, I don't have that "bunged up" feeling in my nose, which I've had for god knows how long, and still no craving for a cigarette.
I've got lozenges and patches to help, haven't resorted to using any of them yet, but out of curiosity had a try of a lozenge the other day. Bloody hell, they are awful!!
So a nice easy day in store, I've decided I'm not returning to work for another week, just going to sit out in the garden and watch the sun come up.
Thanks again for your support and advice. It really is much appreciated.
Rob
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's great news. Sounds like the medics have got the bleeding sorted and hopefully you can start to really recover. Damned right no work - sit and watch the foxes!

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Thanks for your advice guys, I'll get in touch with the insurance company tomorrow and see what they say.
Still clear, tablets seem to be working. No coughing at all, and no blood.
I'm feeling really good if I'm honest. My breathing is a lot easier, I don't have that "bunged up" feeling in my nose, which I've had for god knows how long, and still no craving for a cigarette.
I've got lozenges and patches to help, haven't resorted to using any of them yet, but out of curiosity had a try of a lozenge the other day. Bloody hell, they are awful!!
So a nice easy day in store, I've decided I'm not returning to work for another week, just going to sit out in the garden and watch the sun come up.
Thanks again for your support and advice. It really is much appreciated.
Rob
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Great news.

If ever you have another battle with the ciggies, and hopefully you won’t, when I gave up I did so using tablets called Champix (I think) - there was a similar product called Zyban available at the time. They basically disable the nicotine receptors in the brain and remove the cravings - absolutely brilliant.

You may well not need them, but they’re a really effective alternative to patches, gum, lozenges and willpower.

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
My mate gave up with Champix, arent you meant to carry on smoking at the start till you just dont want to do it any more.

A lot of guys I know now vape instead of smoking. Vape wasnt around when I quit, so I used the gum, which is minging but did the job.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
My mate gave up with Champix, arent you meant to carry on smoking at the start till you just dont want to do it any more.

A lot of guys I know now vape instead of smoking. Vape wasnt around when I quit, so I used the gum, which is minging but did the job.

If I recall, you do carry on smoking for a short period with both Champix and Zyban, setting yourself a quit date. My quit date arrived, and I was dreading it, but I didn’t have a smoke and was surprised to find I simply didn’t want one.

The jury is still out for me when it comes to vaping, and the long term safety of it.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Thanks guys, but I've literally gone "Cold Turkey" and am determined to see this through.
My big sister has warned me that if she ever sees me with a cigarette in my hand she is going to punch me in the head
????
And I'm going to avoid vaping as well
Nothing, other than fresh air is ever entering my lungs again.