A warning, if ever there was one!!....................

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Giving up smoking is the single best thing you can do for your health. OK, perhaps not the best, giving up Russian Roulette might be better., but you know what I mean.

You cough up blood because the lungs are inflamed so there is more blood in the tissues, coughing increases the pressure and can cause a blowout somewhere. It will happen now and again while you recover, but should be self-limiting (i.e. it won't kill you).

I worked on a respiratory ward for a year, and our clientele was 95% chronic bronchitis and emphysema and lung cancer. Almost all were smokers, and some of them had only one ambition in life, to regain enough puff to smoke again. It was truly horrifying at times.

Good for you giving up smoking. As others have suggested, save some of the money for an indulgence, a green fee somewhere snazzy or a new putter/driver/whatever.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
In the light of all the evidence, and the cost, why would you need a warning like that to give up?

Believe it or not, the first cigarette went into my mouth 55 years ago, (I was 11!!).
The dangers weren't as well advertised then, and a 55 year old habit is a difficult one to break.
As for the cost...hardly noticeable as I rolled my own and smoked duty free tobacco.
My wife has been asking me for years to give up, but I enjoyed it, yes, despite the warnings, and was acting selfishly.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've not had a cigarette since being admitted into hospital on Saturday and am not really craving it if I'm honest
???
My dad had a very similar experience.
You must keep your mind occupied at all times.
Good luck giving up it’s hard but not impossible, you should be used to that your a golfer.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Fcuk me mate, that’s awful.

Fingers crossed the pills do the trick and you’re on form for cooden - I mean the “jokes” and clearly not the golf

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
It was indeed. Got up for work last Thursday morning, not a care in the world.
Two days later I'm wired up to an ECG, having x-rays and CT scans and enough blood tests done to empty my left arm.
And a mouthful of blood is not a nice taste
?????
Sorry to hear about your health issues Rob. The best thing is that you didn't waste any time in getting something done about it. Always good to get on to it early!
As for the smoking, glad to hear you've a positive attitude. It is really difficult to do. My take on it is, you have to REALLY WANT to, no excuses just do it. Someone once said to me, smoking is just a habit, a habit you have to get out of. Once you can do that it becomes easier day by day. For me things like gum, patches etc. would just remind me all the time so I went cold turkey.
The other thing that helped me was, I didn't want my grandchildren to be saying,
oooh, grandad smells!! ?
My first grandchild is now 16!!
Good luck Rob and after 3 months I'll stand you a round at Pyecombe golf club..... The only caveat - as long as you're still not smoking! ?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Thanks all. Coughing getting less frequent and only small amounts of "residual" blood.
Have been checking my oxygen sats since admission to the hospital. Whilst I was in there they were around 92/93%. Checked them today, 95/96%. An obvious improvement, don't know if it's the effects of the antibiotics, the fact I haven't had a fag since Saturday, or a combination of the two.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Spoke too soon. Increased coughing up of blood.
Back up the hospital, another bank of tests.
Getting worried now
?????

Oh bloody hell Smiffy, you take care! The good news is you're in the right place and hopefully it's just a delayed recovery whilst the anti biotics do their work.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm in for a couple more nights, I think they are going to give me some stuff to try to stop the bleeding so that my lung has a better chance of healing.
Not all bad, one of the Indian doctors here is absolutely gorgeous. Trying to find out his name...???

Not nice to have to stay in BUT sounds like they're on the case...big old man crush on the dishy doc?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Thanks all. Coughing getting less frequent and only small amounts of "residual" blood.
Have been checking my oxygen sats since admission to the hospital. Whilst I was in there they were around 92/93%. Checked them today, 95/96%. An obvious improvement, don't know if it's the effects of the antibiotics, the fact I haven't had a fag since Saturday, or a combination of the two.

Don’t get too hung up on your sats readings that you’ve quoted. I’ve never smoked and even at my best I couldn’t get them above 96%, and I wasn’t a couch potato.