A warning, if ever there was one!!....................

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just a general question, just to see what others think??
I have been prescribed antibiotics, and have to take them for two weeks.
One of them is to help clear up the lung infection.
Would you be worried about the odd larger cough of blood during the "recovery" stage.
No advice or warnings were given to me on my discharge..
???

I'd ring the ward you were on and ask.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Sorry to hear about what's happened, but hopefully this will give you the incentive you need now to quit completely. It won't be easy, but keep at it, and you'll get there.
My missus used to smoke, and more than she ever admitted to me, but in the end got off them. She used the Vype system which helped her. She reckoned what was hard was the "hand-to-mouth" habit, so having the Vype with a low nicotine content helped her. She found, over time, she needed it less and less, till eventually she stopped.
All the best.

D

Deleted member 15344

Would you be worried about the odd larger cough of blood during the "recovery" stage.
???
I think being honest your best speaking to the doctor

And in regards giving up smoking I used the patches and then had loads of straws to keep my hands busy

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wow, sounds awful. I hope you are on the mend soon. Only a small silver lining but if it does get you to give up the fags. (y)

I'm lucky I guess that I always hated the smell of smoke - my parents used to smoke in the house as a kid and I'd always just go away from them into my room as I hated it. (They both gave up years later.) I think that's why I never wanted to try it myself and consequently have never smoked at all. Managed to get my missus to give up as well a few years ago which she is pleased about.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I think being honest your best speaking to the doctor

And in regards giving up smoking I used the patches and then had loads of straws to keep my hands busy
I rang 111 this morning, and they arranged for my GP to call me, which he's just done.
He's told me not to concern myself too much with the blood coughing situation, the antibiotics haven't completed their job yet so there is bound to be a bit more blood to come.
He was happy enough in that the CT scan was clear...
He did say that if the bleeding did become excessive to get myself up to A&E again.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Two stories for me

My Dad's sudden death from a heart attack death was smoking related, blocked arteries and it made me give it up that same week.

My MIL was diagnosed with a shadow on her lung around the age of 60 but would not give up and eventually died around the age of 80 from something unrelated

Get well and a good decision I am now in my 70s, gave up in 30s and am sure my long term chest problems are related to my once upon a time 30 a day.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
She reckoned what was hard was the "hand-to-mouth" habit

That's the weird thing. A couple of times I have automatically gone to reach for one without really thinking!!
I've got some patches to help if the going gets tough, but I haven't needed them yet.
Have passed the two biggest tests so far.
1) Always "needed" one after a meal. Not this time!
2) Always "needed" one with my first coffee of the day. Not this time!!

Onward and upward
???

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
???

My view is simple

Antibiotics are not a quick fix that stops every thing immediately. It is a bit like a big fire you have to put it out a bit at time.

Give them time to work and if you did not get given the advice - no alcohol whilst you are taking them (it speeds up the process and means they lose their effectiveness) finish the course of drugs even if you feel better.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's the weird thing. A couple of times I have automatically gone to reach for one without really thinking!!
I've got some patches to help if the going gets tough, but I haven't needed them yet.
Have passed the two biggest tests so far.
1) Always "needed" one after a meal. Not this time!
2) Always "needed" one with my first coffee of the day. Not this time!!

Onward and upward
???

Rob, that brings up an enduring memory of you, first thing in the morning, hanging out of the window of the flats at Gainsborough - with a fag going - over a number of years in succession. Those days are sadly now gone, but I wish you the best in kicking the habit and carrying on entertaining us with your posts.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Best of luck, Smiffy, for a full and speedy recovery. If nothing else, if this episode has convinced you to quit the oily rags then look upon it as a blessing.

I gave up years ago and have very mild COPD for my sins. My brother continues to ignore the signs, smoking 40 a day despite two bouts of pneumonia in the last couple of years, the last one of which has him in hospital for a month.

Listen to your body ?

D

Deleted member 15344

I rang 111 this morning, and they arranged for my GP to call me, which he's just done.
He's told me not to concern myself too much with the blood coughing situation, the antibiotics haven't completed their job yet so there is bound to be a bit more blood to come.
He was happy enough in that the CT scan was clear...
He did say that if the bleeding did become excessive to get myself up to A&E again.
That’s good - and you know where people are if you need to chat , blow of steam , wind up , win a wedge ? , and hopefully get on the golf course

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Rob, that brings up an enduring memory of you, first thing in the morning, hanging out of the window of the flats at Gainsborough - with a fag going - over a number of years in succession. Those days are sadly now gone, but I wish you the best in kicking the habit and carrying on entertaining us with your posts.
Thanks Jim. So enjoyed those trips. Happy memories...❤️❤️❤️

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Glad to hear youre on the mend, get well soon Smiffy!!!!

I gave up smoking when I was having a "break" from golf, slowly over a couple of years I got rid of all the associations (coffee in the morning, after a meal, in the car etc where i used to light up). First game back a few years later, teed off on the first, walked down the fairway and instinctively reached into the golf bag for fags and a lighter lol. Was the last of the associations to go!!!

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Smiffy, I ******* love you, pal! You keep at it and you'll be through it in no time. And nicer smelling too! ?
All the best, mate.