A True Custom Fit

• Thread starter Deleted member 18588
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18588

Firstly let me preface my remarks by stating I have absolutely no connection to the Company referred to in this thread.

Last summer I was introduced by another member of my club to Ian, the proprietor of ICY Golf. The guy who introduced me was a scratch golfer for many years and still plays to low single figures even though he is nearly 80 and so if he recommends someone's golf products I am inclined to listen.

Anyway having been shown some of the wedges produced by Ian and having chatted to him I thought I would take the plunge, after all 2014 is the year that I am finally going to do something about my short game and it may be easier if the equipment is at least right.

Yesterday I met Ian at his workshop and we spent some time discussing and exhibiting my weaknesses before even looking at his products. He then provided me with a number of slightly different head shapes to find something that fitted my eye. These variations included offset or onset, square or rounded leading edge and clubhead size.

Being local he knows my home course and its conditions so he could make recommendations about bounce and loft. This was followed by measurements of loft, lie & length of my irons so the wedges will blend seamlessly.

Next was discussion of sole grinds, again to suit my game and the conditions I most often play. Finally we decided upon the sole being ground to match that used by Ben Hogan in the early 50's.

Shaft and grip were then chosen and Ian will be setting to produce the GW & SW.

Can't say at this stage what the lofts or lies will be as there will be a test on the short game area next week. At that time he will observe how they are performing and decide upon any adjustments that need to be made before final finishing including personalisation.

All this at the same sort of price as an off the shelf Vokey, Cleveland or Mizuno etc;

When I get them I will (technophobia permitting) attempt to post pics and a link.

I have had custom fits before but nothing as thorough or personal as this.

Laka

Head Pro
Visit site
Looking forward to read your opinion after you recived and tested them---my guess is that you will be really satisfied and it seems that you have find a really good clubmaker...:thup:

D

Deleted member 18588

what is the deal with different sole grinds?

The grind (or profile) of the sole effects the way the club sits or can be set e.g. more ground off the heel area will generally make it easier for the clubface to be laid open.

But judging by your handicap I would suspect you are already aware of this.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The grind (or profile) of the sole effects the way the club sits or can be set e.g. more ground off the heel area will generally make it easier for the clubface to be laid open.

But judging by your handicap I would suspect you are already aware of this.

I have seen vokeys with various grinds like K and M but never knew what they meant. thanks. its not something that's generally pushed towards us amateurs. Ive seen various videos of the pros chatting about it!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It is something I knew about but have never had it offered as any C/F I've had and the grind has always been offered as standard set up. Interesting that the OP doesn't know lofts as I thought that would be vital in ensuring a good gapping from the PW downwards

D

Deleted member 18588

It is something I knew about but have never had it offered as any C/F I've had and the grind has always been offered as standard set up. Interesting that the OP doesn't know lofts as I thought that would be vital in ensuring a good gapping from the PW downwards

Precise lofts will be determined after the "dynamic" fitting and final adjustments. We are presently working on the GW being 51 deg and SW 57 deg (my PW is 46 deg). But,as I say, final figs will be determined after testing.

As for sole grinds this can be offered since Ian is working with 'unfinished' forgings which he finishes in his workshop. His previous workshop, by the way, was the Tour truck of one of the leading manufacturers.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would like to have a more rounded leading edge on at least one of my wedges. Thinking about it, I would like it on my 52 wedge. It would prevent any digging on short pitches.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another niche wedge retailer. There seem to be a lot around at the moment. Some make their own heads. I presume this chap buys his from China or similar.

Most average players don't need special grinds, although an idea of how they hit their wedges (digger/slider etc) and an idea about where they play (links/sandy/soft parkland) will help decide what lofts and bounce to choose and you can usually buy these off the shelf. Scratch is a good wedge maker, Scor is another with a wide range of lofts and options. I ordered a set of Scor wedges on a Monday evening and they arrived from the US on Wednesday morning.

But wedges have moved on from the 50s, and there are plenty available with more adaptable soles so that average players don't need wedge grinds.

Unless they play their wedges like Hogan and play on similar courses that he did in the 50s in the US, both of which are rather unlikely.

D

Deleted member 18588

Another niche wedge retailer. There seem to be a lot around at the moment. Some make their own heads. I presume this chap buys his from China or similar.

Most average players don't need special grinds, although an idea of how they hit their wedges (digger/slider etc) and an idea about where they play (links/sandy/soft parkland) will help decide what lofts and bounce to choose and you can usually buy these off the shelf. Scratch is a good wedge maker, Scor is another with a wide range of lofts and options. I ordered a set of Scor wedges on a Monday evening and they arrived from the US on Wednesday morning.

But wedges have moved on from the 50s, and there are plenty available with more adaptable soles so that average players don't need wedge grinds.

Unless they play their wedges like Hogan and play on similar courses that he did in the 50s in the US, both of which are rather unlikely.

So following your logic the whole Custom Fit business, including drivers, irons etc; is a waste of time.

On the other hand getting any club that fits your game may just make a very slight difference, if only psychologically.

Either way, why have "off the peg" when you can get "bespoke" for the same price?

Oh! and the Hogan style grind is only one of many options. The heads, by the way, come from Japan rather than China.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
So following your logic the whole Custom Fit business, including drivers, irons etc; is a waste of time.

On the other hand getting any club that fits your game may just make a very slight difference, if only psychologically.

Either way, why have "off the peg" when you can get "bespoke" for the same price?

Oh! and the Hogan style grind is only one of many options. The heads, by the way, come from Japan rather than China.

I am a fan of fitting, but these days you don't need special grinds unless you are a very special player indeed. Fitting for the correct shaft, flex, lie, grip size and so on is a good idea. Wedge grinds sounds very much more about psychology and marketing.

In Hogans day, quality control was such that no two wedges were the same, and most of the pros got standard wedges and modified them. They added weight, changed shafts and fiddled with the loft and lie. Hogan also, famously, tested all his golf balls when he got them from the factory and rejected many of them for being out of round. None of that is necessary these days.

The value of the bespoke fitting depends a great deal on the fitter.

D

Deleted member 18588

I am a fan of fitting, but these days you don't need special grinds unless you are a very special player indeed. Fitting for the correct shaft, flex, lie, grip size and so on is a good idea. Wedge grinds sounds very much more about psychology and marketing.

In Hogans day, quality control was such that no two wedges were the same, and most of the pros got standard wedges and modified them. They added weight, changed shafts and fiddled with the loft and lie. Hogan also, famously, tested all his golf balls when he got them from the factory and rejected many of them for being out of round. None of that is necessary these days.

The value of the bespoke fitting depends a great deal on the fitter.

Having had irons that were supposedly custom fit by several of the leading manufacturers and having had those immediately checked for loft & lie I can only say that I do not share your confidence in current quality control levels. Quite the reverse.

I do, however, agree with you on the quality of the fitter determining the quality of the fitting process. That was the point of my original post.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Having had irons that were supposedly custom fit by several of the leading manufacturers and having had those immediately checked for loft & lie I can only say that I do not share your confidence in current quality control levels. Quite the reverse.

I do, however, agree with you on the quality of the fitter determining the quality of the fitting process. That was the point of my original post.

Clubs come out of the factory much closer to spec than many years ago.

How do you know that the person checking the OEM lofts and lies was not the one at error? The big manufacturers don't always get it perfect but they get it right the vast majority of the time.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I have to laugh at 'special grinds' for wedges- no offense to the OP - I know 20+ handicappers and some low cat1's that go on about their special hand ground wedges :rolleyes:

If a company offers variety and many options they are more likely to get a sale over one that offers 1 choice.

I don't believe special grinds were around 20 years ago and there were wizards on the pro and amateur scene with off the shelf wedges.

I wonder if anyone can tell the difference in a blindfold test with all these grinds........I seriously doubt it

D

Deleted member 18588

Clubs come out of the factory much closer to spec than many years ago.

How do you know that the person checking the OEM lofts and lies was not the one at error? The big manufacturers don't always get it perfect but they get it right the vast majority of the time.

Simple!

Because the clubfitter did the checks in my presence. With non-custom fits the situation is even worse. 4 iron with the loft of a 6 iron and a 6 iron with the loft of a 5.

Pity the poor soul that tried playing with them.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sounds like a fun fitting and agree with "why buy off the shelf for the same price as custom". Did he match your iron shafts, did you try some the the spinner type shafts?

D

Deleted member 18588

Sounds like a fun fitting and agree with "why buy off the shelf for the same price as custom". Did he match your iron shafts, did you try some the the spinner type shafts?

Yes the shafts are to blend with my existing Dynalite Gold XP S300's. Tried the Spinner but without any appreciable benefits we decided to stick with what is working. Interestingly Iain's view is that shafts, whilst still important, are less of a factor in wedges than clubheads as fewer full shots are played with these clubs and thus the shaft does not always get fully loaded.