A Steady Hand

Nick_Toye

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have a question about keeping my hand steady and my putting rhythm smooth.

On the backswing I seem to have a tendency to sway, and when I practice the swing I sway on the way through too.

My putting on my last round was good, in that I reduced the amount of putts from the previous round by 7, but I'm not happy with it and feel if I can nail it I can reduce that by the same amount.

I was looking at one of these mirror putting aids, but they seem quite pricey at £20.

Any tips?

Nick_Toye

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Went out in the garden today and put two tee pegs a putters width, and then 2 more about 4 inches back. Then 2 more 2 ft ahead but slightly narrower.

Putted 40 out of 40 within the gate and into the smaller gate. I'd say that is progress. :)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Right so keep the putter grounded right before the back stroke. That putter looks like mine, Method Core.

I think of it like taking the strain in a tug of war. I'm not lifting the putter off the ground, but just taking enough of the weight that it doesn't stick when I start it back.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
2 lines of 5 golf balls just a bit wider than the putter head ..

line the ball you are putting up with the middle ball ..

0 0 0 0 0
< < 0 < < putter
0 0 0 0 0
you will have to keep your swing straight and steady or you wont get back to the object ball without hitting the line of balls

Last edited:

Nick_Toye

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
2 lines of 5 golf balls just a bit wider than the putter head ..

line the ball you are putting up with the middle ball ..

0 0 0 0 0
< < 0 < < putter
0 0 0 0 0
you will have to keep your swing straight and steady or you wont get back to the object ball without hitting the line of balls

Yeah there are loads of these drills. I have tees set up in the garden to emulate what Tiger does. I'm still deciding over grip too, whether to unlink the hands of stack them.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm also thinking I have quite a shaky hand, not sure if its going to be an ongoing issue, or it can be fixed. :(

This is quite interesting - it gives me the impression that your putter may be excessively long, or that it is not in the correct plan for your height
I think ... That when your putter is just off the ground (ie mm's) you should feel relaxed with the putter almost hanging from your hands under its own weight, with it still just behind the ball. I can only imagine that a shaky hand only comes if you are having to keep your putter head in place behind the ball when it might want to swing closer to your feet when you lift it from the ground.

Story an experiment, whereby you change your grip position on the club, going progressively down the shaft, until you find the point where the putter head doesn't swing any closer to you when you lift it off the ground,
IF that grip position is substantially different from your current grip position , then that might be a key factor.

Nick_Toye

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think its just a case of getting back into the swing of things.

I've got a drill setup outside with the tee pegs as gates, and that seems to have improved things.