A softer feel...

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looking to try a new ball after using the Titleist Velocity exclusively for the last 2 years. Nothing wrong with them per se, but looking for something that feels softer, particularly off the putter.

There are of course a few stipulations. Pro Vs are out as they're too expensive and I'm not after an uber soft ball, whatever they might be. Gaining spin isn't a necessity, really its just the softer feel off the putter and around the greens I'm after.

These are on the shortlist;

1. TM Project (a)
2. RBZ Urethane
3. Callaway Chrome Soft

Any others fit the bill? Or any of the above you feel may not be what I'm after?

Cheers

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Looking to try a new ball after using the Titleist Velocity exclusively for the last 2 years. Nothing wrong with them per se, but looking for something that feels softer, particularly off the putter.

There are of course a few stipulations. Pro Vs are out as they're too expensive and I'm not after an uber soft ball, whatever they might be. Gaining spin isn't a necessity, really its just the softer feel off the putter and around the greens I'm after.

These are on the shortlist;

1. TM Project (a)
2. RBZ Urethane
3. Callaway Chrome Soft

Any others fit the bill? Or any of the above you feel may not be what I'm after?

Cheers

Callaway super soft or Srixon soft feel.

Ive a mate who's off 3 uses the Callaway all year.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've found the Supersoft tone very soft off the putter - still a good bet though.
The Chrome Soft is supposed to be the dogs danglies and the other Chrome versions are not bad either
AD333 Tour does a good job too.

As always its a case of get hold of a sleeve of each and try them unyill you find one that works.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
American Golf have been doing Bridgestone B330 at £20 a doz, good as Pro v1 to me, especially in the winter

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Callaway Super Soft.
Used them for the first time around Bearwood Lakes last Summer and loved them. Decent distance and a great feel off the putter. They don't scuff up either.
Available in white or yellow, I use the yellow ones as my provisionals, and don't often have to hit them ;)
£15.00 a dozen off Amazon and highly recommended
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Callaway-Su...sr=8-5&keywords=callaway+supersoft+golf+balls

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Thanks all, will a get a sleeve of the Callaway SS for sure

You won't go wrong with them. They are a great ball. I've never been a fan of Callaway balls before I used these, but I was pleasantly surprised by them.
I prefer a softer ball, especially for chipping and putting, but usually sacrifice a bit of distance. These ones give you the best of all worlds.

Imurg

Visit site
Ive used them a few times - get on the practice green before you play. I found the SS spring off the putter face which led to a few calls of Taxi !!!

Imurg

Visit site
Maybe its because I tend to use the firmer "Tour" type balls rather than the real softies like these.
Once I got used to them they were fine.
Decent ball at a great price

DaveL

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I loved the SS with the driver and irons, had real problems with distance control off the putter. The lad bought me some Pro V1's for Xmas, loved the distance control putting, but not sure I like the feel off the irons and driver though and a bit expensive for a high handicapper. Just bought some Chrome Soft, after one round with them I'm quite optimistic about them

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
By way of an update, I've played 66 holes with the TaylorMade Project (a) and am very happy with the feel of the ball. It's noticeably softer than my old Velocity's, and seems to stop quicker on the greens too. However, it's not all roses. With the driver, it does seem to launch VERY high, and with the wind we had this morning, it didn't make it easy.

The Callaway SS was recommended on here, and I need to get hold of a sleeve, but any opinions on alternatives? The Project (a) might still go in the bag for the season, but if I could get something that played the same, with a little less height off the tee, that'd be a winner.

Any further suggestions based on the above?