A Noticeable Difference

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Do many of you post on any American internet golf forums?

If so, you'll notice one very major difference.

If we look at the different forum topic sections on Golf Monthly, not a single section is specifically about equipment.

At least 75% of the discussions on American forums pertains expressly toward equipment. Probably more.

Any opinions on this?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I think that the Golf Monthly forum is a bit unique, it's almost like a Mumsnet for middle aged and senior men where opinions and queries are made on just about any subject going.

I suppose the fact that there isn't an equipment section as such doesn't encourage gear posts, but I'm a big fan of the way the GM forum is.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My opinion is forum-related rather than equipment-related but I don't really think you need multiple sections for all different aspects of golf. Mods will just spend more time moving topics which have been put in the wrong section. Just having the Lounge for all golf chatter is fine I think.

It's not as if we don't discuss golf equipment. The debate usually ends up the same though, it's those who want the most forgiving gear against those who are quite happy using older gear that suits their eye better.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
GolfWRX and the like seem to be full of young strong guys posting about their Tour issued kit with exotic X-flex shafts and hitting it 290 on a bad day.

This one is more about how often you have to stop for a wee during a round and the big equipment questions are about iron head covers and white belts.

Different demographic, I think.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
GolfWRX and the like seem to be full of young strong guys posting about their Tour issued kit with exotic X-flex shafts and hitting it 290 on a bad day.

This one is more about how often you have to stop for a wee during a round and the big equipment questions are about iron head covers and white belts.

You've confirmed I'm in the right place anyway. An old git trapped in a younger man's body I think. :p

D

Deleted member 1147

Different language to the Septics as well

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I like Golf Monthly a lot, but since political discussion was proscribed,

which was probably a very good idea,

I find my post count set back to a more relaxed pace.

Not a problem, however.

Just noticed that gear obsession is much less pronounced here.

My Golf Spy recently had a long discussion about a new $800 driver shaft.
I'm not quite sure what that is in Pounds Sterling or Euros
but based on what I see here on Golf Monthly,
I doubt if there are a substantial number of idiots on your side of the pond looking to buy it.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I like Golf Monthly a lot, but since political discussion was proscribed,

which was probably a very good idea,

I find my post count set back to a more relaxed pace.

Not a problem, however.

Just noticed that gear obsession is much less pronounced here.

My Golf Spy recently had a long discussion about a new $800 driver shaft.
I'm not quite sure what that is in Pounds Sterling or Euros
but based on what I see here on Golf Monthly,
I doubt if there are a substantial number of idiots on your side of the pond looking to buy it.
See you're referring to a site that is *all* about equipment. It's not really the same thing

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If I was actually interested in reading information about equipment, golfwrx is where I'd go. I never really bother about it being a US site, rather than a UK one.
A lot of useful stuff here is more country specific, such as courses etc.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to but the difference was a bit to obvious and I stopped posting regularly

I still use one or two when looking for an equipment specific topic.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

If you think GWRX is 'bad', just remember the original (Todd Thrun owned) version of BombSquadGolf! Aptly abbreviated to BSGolf!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Don’t know about anyone else but I drifted here after the BBC 606 Golf board was closed. I and a bunch of others went to another forum. It might have been American but not one I’ve heard mentioned here - if I recall the migrants from the BBC boards got our own section set up for uk specific topics, but I think that may have shut also…in any case after that I landed here. And most of the time I think it’s where I’ll stay, well as long as I am allowed ?

Edit…just checked and it was the US Golf Observer site that was my stepping stone to here.

Last edited: