A Noticeable Difference

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think that the Golf Monthly forum is a bit unique, it's almost like a Mumsnet for middle aged and senior men where opinions and queries are made on just about any subject going.

I suppose the fact that there isn't an equipment section as such doesn't encourage gear posts, but I'm a big fan of the way the GM forum is.
Interesting 8802 thread on there , would be nice to see a Wilson time line - I suspect mine is an 80s one. I picked up in the fabulous shop in Chatham that was like a cave of golf gear - and it was sitting their brand new and unloved and I just had to give it a home because it was so seductive. ( I had these issues with women as well when I was younger ?)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Interesting 8802 thread on there , would be nice to see a Wilson time line - I suspect mine is an 80s one. I picked up in the fabulous shop in Chatham that was like a cave of golf gear - and it was sitting their brand new and unloved and I just had to give it a home because it was so seductive. ( I had these issues with women as well when I was younger ?)

As I understand it, it was originally the "Arnold Palmer" but after he left Wilson they simply substituted the catalogue number, which was 8802 and so it became the 8802.
There are so many variants out there that it would be a long job to properly create a time line. Kaplan's Wilson book would be a good starting point.

Some say that the metal used in the earlier versions is much better and has greater feel, or it has some mystical properties that give you the sex appeal of a young Arnie.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As I understand it, it was originally the "Arnold Palmer" but after he left Wilson they simply substituted the catalogue number, which was 8802 and so it became the 8802.
There are so many variants out there that it would be a long job to properly create a time line. Kaplan's Wilson book would be a good starting point.

Some say that the metal used in the earlier versions is much better and has greater feel, or it has some mystical properties that give you the sex appeal of a young Arnie.
Ah metal costs… enter the accountants and the cost saving opportunities.. turning everything to digestives ?

D

Deleted member 29109

I think that the Golf Monthly forum is a bit unique, it's almost like a Mumsnet for middle aged and senior men where opinions and queries are made on just about any subject going.

I suppose the fact that there isn't an equipment section as such doesn't encourage gear posts, but I'm a big fan of the way the GM forum is.

Grumpsnet ?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
GolfOpinions used to be good but went downhill about the time I found this place. BSG was well named. :LOL: GolfWRX & MyGolfSpy are good sources for researching gear.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
GolfOpinions used to be good but went downhill about the time I found this place. BSG was well named. :LOL: GolfWRX & MyGolfSpy are good sources for researching gear.
The problem with wrx is the falsely inflated claims on distance. If they are hitting it that long why are their irons so short?
Must have been 15 yrs ago now, I played in a company golf competition at the Brickyard Indianapolis, which was a good laugh. These guys were all guests and they were all low singles, but they were totally unimpressive . Which made me think their handicap system was a little off. Mind you the fairways are awesome and easy to hit a ball from , bunkers have sand in and greens are nicely prepared… not like the courses I was brought up on where you had pick the ball off the hard pan mud, look for the sand in a bunker that was just clay, and a putting green like the top of a bowl of porridge.