An Interesting Contrast

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Do many of you scan the American internet golf forums?
One interesting thing is that on the American forums, there are many, many more threads talking about specific equipment.
Golf Forum doesn't even have a specific sub-forum for equipment threads.
They just go into The Lounge with general golf discussions.

I am in no way criticizing Golf Monthly for this, I hope you understand.
I really enjoy this forum, believe it's a very good forum, and as a foreigner, I've been treated well here.

I'm just wondering if anybody else has noticed this difference, and also if anybody has any ideas as to why it's so.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I guess that we see it as a golf forum and not a golf equipment forum. Golf is so much more than the sticks in your hands. Yes, they are discussed here but they are not the major topic of discussion. And, as you see, we discuss quite a bit of non-golf stuff too.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to but no longer do so except when doing product research.

I found them a bit too distance and equipment obsessed.

D

Deleted member 1147

One interesting thing is that on the American forums, there are many, many more threads talking about specific equipment.

I really enjoy this forum, believe it's a very good forum, and as a foreigner, I've been treated well here.

I'm just wondering if anybody else has noticed this difference, and also if anybody has any ideas as to why it's so.
What would you discuss on an equipment thread?

Apparently irons have less loft than they used to, would that be an interesting topic for you?

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Been a member on golf wrx longer than I have here, some great instructors frequent the academy & instruction forum.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I quite enjoy wrx, and it's quite different to here.
I think of GM as more like the atmosphere in a club bar, with some interest in golf, but also a variety of other things.
Interestingly, wrx absolutely bans any discussion of politics or religion. There is not even a separate area for it. I wonder what they make of GM.
There's also quite a strong anti USGA vibe, whereas we just let the R&A get on with it and grumble a bit.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
The only American forum I visit is GolfWRX and even then the only section I go on is the Classic Golf & Golfers section.
As you'd expect, most of the talk there is about golf the way it was (and in the view of most posters, the way it should be!) and about the finding of classic clubs, their play, restoration, etc.

As I understand it, the main body of WRX contains even bigger willy wavers than here. Posting to the 'nth degree about how they customize their clubs to suit their swings, shaft details, grinds, etc, etc. Oh yeah, and how far they hit the ball, there are similarities :).

But what I find most annoying is that rather than playing with their clubs they game them.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
The only American forum I visit is GolfWRX and even then the only section I go on is the Classic Golf & Golfers section.
As you'd expect, most of the talk there is about golf the way it was (and in the view of most posters, the way it should be!) and about the finding of classic clubs, their play, restoration, etc.

As I understand it, the main body of WRX contains even bigger willy wavers than here. Posting to the 'nth degree about how they customize their clubs to suit their swings, shaft details, grinds, etc, etc. Oh yeah, and how far they hit the ball, there are similarities :).

But what I find most annoying is that rather than playing with their clubs they game them.

They only game them once they’ve been “dialled in”

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site

I can't answer your question YOB as I don't have the time or inclination to waste any more of my life on other golf forums but I have to say that despite what some might say, as a "foreigner" from across the pond, you're actually not too bad ;). You almost have and understand the "British sense of humour" and give as good as you take. As they say over there "You're welcome" (y)

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If Putter Talk is American, then that’s the only one. I am not interested in how many miles they hit their ball, how they are all scratch golfers or how many grooves their 52 3/4 degree wedge has.
:)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

WRX blows this place out of the water, so many helpful and very knowledgeable people. The amount of knowledge available and made readily available is very impressive. I enjoy a browse on there.

THP is also decent as is My Golf Spy.

D

Deleted member 23344

I’m on THP too. There are a few “I crush it miles” type threads, but there are always interesting ones too.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I was on Golf WRX for a bit but found I barely looked at it. I'd agree there's a lot of equipment threads and a lot of brand loyalty.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I enjoy browsing.

A good chuckle is to be had at the chaps changing their 'gamers' every couple of months, 'crushing' them miles further than their last set....

Until a new advert for shiny clubs comes up.

Also some decent stuff on there too for sure

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site

I’m not a fan of multiple forums and like some others I’d imagine I would just head for the main board without looking at the rest. I’m a member of a football forum that is obsessed with badging together similar threads into one and they end up being 100s of pages long and mainly full of junk.